Corey getting roasted on Facebook

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from being unfair to non-US players who traveled quite far to compete, the logistics of such a proposal are also very convoluted. How many foreign players minimum would it take to enact such a rule? What if only 3-4 foreign players are present- do they still go into a different bracket? Do they have a separate one loss bracket too?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Corey doesn't deserve all the flak he's getting. There's nothing wrong with him favoring the methodology he proposes. Few of us seem to feel that it would serve the game well.

Corey remains an elite player and he is surely a future BCA Hall-of-Famer. His opinion counts in our sport.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you want a chance to cash in a big event, who wouldn't want to? Why should you have a hard draw when the top pros are guaranteed an easy draw? This isn't rocket science.

BTW, I'm just speaking in general about the "fairness" of forcing a top opponent on a much weaker opponent, I'm not talking about myself.

For me, I can't even play the amateur open at SBE with $5,000 first place, even if I won(which I wouldn't) I would still lose money because I make that working 40hrs, then add the entry fee and hotel on top of it and I lose money that week even if I won the event

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just a hypothetical.

I see both sides...

As an amateur, it's a cool idea that you can compete, and maybe even cash in a pro event. However, in what other sport would this even be a possibility? In my mind, the exception for billiards suggests that it is a limiting factor to the growth of the sport.

We all know that billiards is on the decline. No one has the solution.. However, the path that we are on isn't working.
For any sport to be successful, there needs to be idols. Why not focus on building them?
Shane plays me 10 games to 6, I'm gonna practice up and be the King of Pool for a day.

Sad thing is there's mid level pros who can't beat him more than 10%of the time. The man is a cyborg.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Becauuuuse, you want the experience, the seasoning, collect some war stories, and just maybe shitout and hit a gear at the most oportune time.

But IMO seeding just gives the house too big an edge. I mean, you want the vague illusion of a chance.

Lou Figueroa
I played 2 true pro players in Derby City in 2012 and 2014.

I was up on one 4 to 2...he rolled lucky a couple times, woke up and beat me 5 to 9.

The other I was 7 to 7, missed a ball and never saw the table again, lost 7 to 9.

Don't think I'll ever play as strong as I did then...I've barely hit a ball in 3 months and I own a room. Just an awesome game, but it's getting a world class ass kicking the past few years.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel crying about European players in American tournaments. Wants them in their own bracket, not getting a lot of sympathy.

“What do players think about having international players get seeded into one side of bracket and Americans seeded to the other side. This would help for rankings. I've seen this done in other country's seems to work great. what you guys think???”

So how would it work for the shortstops playing against the Pro’s ……. We donate , so should pros be in their own bracket ! Same thing

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey doesn't deserve all the flak he's getting. There's nothing wrong with him favoring the methodology he proposes. Few of us seem to feel that it would serve the game well.

Corey remains an elite player and he is surely a future BCA Hall-of-Famer. His opinion counts in our sport.
Either he took down the thread or Facebook’s algorithms are hiding it from me now, but if you read it he comes across as saying I’m really good but these guys are waaaaay better, so I should have the bracket changed to give me a better chance. Sounds super weak to me. Just my opinion.

Reactions: sjm

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
If you are going to seed , I guess my question is why is it split usa vs world ? Why not just seed anyone over a certain fargo or seed the top 10 fargo players registered for the tournament. Then you should be great pool no matter what.

This makes it unbiased, and doesn't front load one country's players. Seems more fair this way and could generate more interest from outside usa.

Or maybe i am missing something ?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Corey suggests seeding the top 5 Americans through the top side of the bracket, and the top 5 foreigners in the bottom side of the bracket. The separation in each half of the bracket ensures the best odds at seeing the highest level of talent in the later rounds, while also ensuring that at least 1 American will have a seat in the finals of the American hosted event.
Americans need to earn their way to the final rounds like everyone else.
jmho

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Huh?? Every so-called 'bet' you throw out there is an absolute lock. Taking the top ten non-US players is really taking a chance. whatever.
Yeah, US versus the world is funny as hell. Of course, do that in most sports and the US will win.. Just look at the olympics...

Jaden

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to seed , I guess my question is why is it split usa vs world ? Why not just seed anyone over a certain fargo or seed the top 10 fargo players registered for the tournament. Then you should be great pool no matter what.

This makes it unbiased, and doesn't front load one country's players. Seems more fair this way and could generate more interest from outside usa.

Or maybe i am missing something ?

corey lost to omar and got pissed, that's about all you need to know

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Along with that, he’s just proposing an idea. I don’t agree with him but I think out of the box thinking should be encouraged, not ridiculed. There are no bad ideas when we are brainstorming.