Corroborate a story?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
My sister's fiance, who is not a pool player, stops in at a new-ish pool hall in Richmond VA quite a bit to have a drink and chat with the regulars.

He told me of a guy there who supposedly plays world-class straight pool, who ran a 424 in a money match against a "well-known touring pro from NYC" a few weeks ago. He doesn't know their names.

Did that happen? If so, who are the players? Seems like if there's a guy in Richmond attracting action from NYC and running 400's on them when they get there, this forum would know about it...

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
My sister's fiance, who is not a pool player, stops in at a new-ish pool hall in Richmond VA quite a bit to have a drink and chat with the regulars.

He told me of a guy there who supposedly plays world-class straight pool, who ran a 424 in a money match against a "well-known touring pro from NYC" a few weeks ago. He doesn't know their names.

Did that happen? If so, who are the players? Seems like if there's a guy in Richmond attracting action from NYC and running 400's on them when they get there, this forum would know about it...

This is an Epic Run !!!

The only 14.1 Player i know of from VA is Bobby Chamberlain, he frequents AZ under the name of WRLDPRO. i wonder if this is him, he is totally capable of running these types of numbers. i believe his high run is 311 !!! (maybe it is now 424)

would love to learn more about this player that achieved such hieghts !!

-Steve

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
This is an Epic Run !!!

The only 14.1 Player i know of from VA is Bobby Chamberlain, he frequents AZ under the name of WRLDPRO. i wonder if this is him, he is totally capable of running these types of numbers. i believe his high run is 311 !!! (maybe it is now 424)

-Steve

I know Bobby, and this definitely wasn't him. This is apparently an African-American gentleman somewhere in his late 40s or 50s, who plays out of Richmond.

I'm sure my future brother-in-law wouldn't lie about this story, but I also know he didn't witness it first-hand, and the player in question could have been exaggerating his own accomplishments. Could have been exaggerating them by a factor of 10, for all I know.

I will say if this guy and this run are legit, I bet Bobby knows who he is.

-Andrew

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
get a camera

It would seem that NYC and the surrounding area would like to be known as 14.1 country, I see nothing wrong with that. Fish stories are entertaining but I am a bit of a skeptic when I hear about a 300 plus run that someone did in some back alley pool room. I have a run that I am currently trying to have removed from you tube (worth more than $2.99) it's 25 racks without an error - plus commentary. If anyone is interested in purchasing this footage they may pm me here on this forum and I will send em' a copy asap. This run was accomplished on a table that had not been doctored - relatively difficult conditions.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
It would seem that NYC and the surrounding area would like to be known as 14.1 country, I see nothing wrong with that. Fish stories are entertaining but I am a bit of a skeptic when I hear about a 300 plus run that someone did in some back alley pool room. I have a run that I am currently trying to have removed from you tube (worth more than $2.99) it's 25 racks without an error - plus commentary. If anyone is interested in purchasing this footage they may pm me here on this forum and I will send em' a copy asap. This run was accomplished on a table that had not been doctored - relatively difficult conditions.

PM sent Danny !!

-Steve

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try greenleaf's pool room ....it's Jim Gottier's room..he plays good 14.1 and played
in NYC...sounds like a possible match up with Danny Barouty or one of his pals from
ABC in New York....also sounds like too many balls.VR

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is an Epic Run !!!

-Steve

I have no clue who this mystery person could be.I would think that at least 98 % of players that have run over 300 balls are all known players.
Best geuss by me and a few other other top pros is that there are less than 100 players that have ever broke the 300 mark.
Steve your numbers are correct as my high run is only 311 and it would be nice to be the mystery person with a high run of 424.Ive broke the 200 mark 38x but only 1 run over 300 which was on a Diamond 9ft. table at Hardtimes in Woodbridge Virginia 5 years ago.The run of 311 is the high run to date on any Diamond table. Sadly Hardtimes like many poolrooms is no longer as they are closing this week. I will be installing the same Diamond table at my house next week so im excited to practice at home.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I have no clue who this mystery person could be.I would think that at least 98 % of players that have run over 300 balls are all known players.
Best geuss by me and a few other other top pros is that there are less than 100 players that have ever broke the 300 mark.
Steve your numbers are correct as my high run is only 311 and it would be nice to be the mystery person with a high run of 424.Ive broke the 200 mark 38x but only 1 run over 300 which was on a Diamond 9ft. table at Hardtimes in Woodbridge Virginia 5 years ago.The run of 311 is the high run to date on any Diamond table. Sadly Hardtimes like many poolrooms is no longer as they are closing this week. I will be installing the same Diamond table at my house next week so im excited to practice at home.

OMG, say it isn't so! That's where I play (played), I hadn't heard anything about it. That's the last place in Woodbridge, not sure where I'm gonna go now...:(

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Try greenleaf's pool room ....it's Jim Gottier's room..he plays good 14.1 and played
in NYC...sounds like a possible match up with Danny Barouty or one of his pals from
ABC in New York....also sounds like too many balls.VR

Greenleaf's was indeed the poolroom from the story. Do you know Jim's high run? It wasn't achieved just a month or two ago, was it?

-Andrew

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Greenleaf's was indeed the poolroom from the story. Do you know Jim's high run? It wasn't achieved just a month or two ago, was it?

-Andrew

Update, just got a name for the player: Shorty Davis.

Disclaimer now that I've posted his name: if he was, hypothetically, exaggerating his high run by a factor of 2 or more, understand that he was bragging to a non-pool-playing acquaintance at the time. I don't want to make it seem like he's running around the pool world spreading falsehoods. On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool if it was true?

-Andrew

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Update, just got a name for the player: Shorty Davis.

Disclaimer now that I've posted his name: if he was, hypothetically, exaggerating his high run by a factor of 2 or more, understand that he was bragging to a non-pool-playing acquaintance at the time. I don't want to make it seem like he's running around the pool world spreading falsehoods. On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool if it was true?

-Andrew

Shorty Davis said he ran 424 balls? Minus off about 350 and I would believe it.

pacemonster

"Billiard" Mike
Silver Member
Shorty Davis said he ran 424 balls? Minus off about 350 and I would believe it.

I'm in agreement with Bobby here. Tall tale from Shorty if it was him. Hopefully I'll see him this weekend and I will ask him myself. BTW...he does embellish a bit ;)

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim's hi-run

-Andrew

Jim ran a 14.1 league at Society Billiards in NYC...posted on the
hi-run board, was a run by Jim in the 130's...this run was on Diamond
tables...and I feel he's capable of more then that.VR