COVID-19 & Pool Playing / Pool Cues

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last time I played pool was February 16th and September is here.
The last pool cues I ordered were completed just before CA’s ivory ban.

Needless to point out, it has been awhile since I played pool or became
excited about getting a new pool cue. Now I sit at home with more cues
than one could ever need and who knows how long it will be before pool
halls resume business and even then, I’m in no rush to play since this virus
is still a major threat so the question becomes how long of a hiatus will it be?

Up until the CA ivory ban was enacted, I was adding cues regularly but it came
to an end. I was also playing pool, not that much because of some shoulder
issues but certainly weekly and sometimes more often. And now I don’t play.
I have the COVID blues and can’t help but wonder when pool playing resumes.

I took out all my cues this past weekend. Just laid them on my bed and examined
them closely admiring the effort that went into taking different pieces of wood and
making a cue. I examined the veneers and wraps and admired the workmanship.
A lot of time and money went into creating these cues but they sit unplayed and
unappreciated. And gosh knows, I only play with one or two cues at the pool hall.
Heck, my first Jerry R. cue hasn’t been played with for probably 18 months so the
question that comes to mind is why have so many cues when you can’t play with
all of them regularly & since COVID, sans any pool table at home, literally not at all.

Maybe it is the COVID blues or something but have any other readers ever pondered
reducing the number of cues they have because the cues just aren’t getting used and
sit in the closet. Gosh, I have lots of guns that aren’t used or fired so I even wonder
about that. Aside from pride of ownership, what purpose or value is there possessing
a collection of guns and cues if they really aren’t getting used much by their owners?

If COVID continues to disrupt our lives as it’s done, and threatens to continue doing,
and pool playing does not resume where it is safe to return to pool halls by this time
next year, it may be time to trim my collection to only four cues so each of my children
gets one. The others, well, my kids might wind up selling them so if that were the case,
I’m wondering why hang onto them unless I am playing pool and COVID controls that.

It is not a question of needing money. It is more just being practical. I want to get a new
pistol that is very expensive. Usually I would just order a Wilson EDC X9 in .45 cal and
never even give it a second thought but I decided more is not better and so until or unless
I sell one or some of my guns, I am not getting it. I have more guns than I need just like cues.
I’m curious to know if others have experienced how I’m feeling which I attribute to COVID blues.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been March for me. I miss it but like living more than playing pool. Not easy getting old if you make bad decisions it's even harder....

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If you're not using them, there isn't much point in having them unless they are sentimental or something. You can only shoot with one cue at a time after all. I had a huge collection of old video games and realized that collections are nothing but a distraction. If I play them, fine, but if not it's basically hoarding. I thinned my collection down by probably 50%. Collecting can be fun but at some point it's about admiring the work that goes into something, the object for the sake of the object, or the score of finding a good deal, not as a tool that it was meant to be. That's ok if it's what you're into, but if not it's kind of extra baggage. I have a couple cues, my McDermott was the first I ever bought with my own money and my main player to this day, 25 years later. I might get a CF shaft for it, but I don't really need it, just curious to try it more than anything. The other cue I have is a Joss that belonged to my late father so it's special and not going anywhere. The Joss has a strangely similar balance point to my McDermott so I can switch up without any real issues.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do with my dad's knife collection. He always had an eye open for deals on knives and really knew his stuff. I'm not really into knives other than for utility, and I only need a few knives. This is a boot box full of them. There's no financial need to sell them or anything and they have sentimental value, but do I really need 50+ knives? Not really. Dad admired the craftsmanship in them and liked sharpening them etc, but truth be told, he only used about 6 different knives regularly and he was an avid hunter and fisherman. It's all just stuff in the end, this and covid kind of changed my outlook on stuff. IMO we should keep what we use, has sentimental value, or enjoy as an object but the rest is just clutter.

I know the isolation and such has got a lot of people (me included) thinking about what is important in life. Personally I feel it comes down to spending time with your friends and family and doing the things you enjoy. Talk to your kids, learn facetime if you have to distance. The isolation is terrible for our mental state, it's just against human nature. I know I've started relying more on faith too, we really don't have all the say in life even though we like to be 100% self made independant men, I could die in traffic tomorrow, there's no guarantee. I try to enjoy every family gathering and every shot at the table because who knows, it could be the last, I'm too young to think like this but you really never know, enjoy every little moment, how a cool breeze feels on your skin, the feel of sunshine, the taste of a garden fresh tomato etc. For me, it's nothing to be sad about or get down about, just something to focus you on the important things so you don't miss out. If you get lost in the anxiety of your own mind you miss out on the stuff worth enjoying. It's like choking on the 8 or 9, you talked yourself out of the important stuff somehow.

I'm not discounting covid or how tough it is to play during this time, but it seems really odd to me that many places, like Iowa where I live, it's not even an issue. No one wears masks, no one has it (or are at most asymptomatic), the hospitals are empty, only a handful of related deaths. It's low population density, but how is it it basically doesn't exist here? If you die of a heart attack and they find you had covid, it's counted as a covid death. Pneumonia kills older folks more than anything, but if they have pneumonia and covid, it's covid on the certificate. Just really odd, I do believe it's a real virus, there is evidence, but something just doesn't add up. The response and fear mongering just seems absolutely over the top. Be safe out there but keep your eyes open, something is off about this whole thing.

Personally with this covid crap, I knew I had to have a table and had the room so I made it happen. I wanted a diamond but no way could I afford it, found an oversize 8 olhausen within budget and bought it. I would have had to wait at least 2-3 years to budget enough for a diamond. It's helped me not go stir crazy. Heck, if you have the room even if you could sell a couple cues and get a valley bar box or a cheaper slate table, it would be better than not playing. Good luck and keep your chin up, this too shall pass.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Played one day last week, can not recall if it was Friday, or Saturday. Like four game of OPne P{octet. Local Pool Room is only open 5 days a week, not 7 as normal. No House Cues, No House Bridges, because of Covid - 19 HOAX.

Half the tables are not in use social distancing BS. Must wear Mask more BS.

IMHO we all need to demand normality, and quit worrying about the Covid 19, HOAX.

We got bigger problem to worry about.

JMHO

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Played one day last week, can not recall if it was Friday, or Saturday. Like four game of OPne P{octet. Local Pool Room is only open 5 days a week, not 7 as normal. No House Cues, No House Bridges, because of Covid - 19 HOAX.

IMHO we all need to demand normality, and quit worrying about the Covid 19, HOAX.

JMHO

You are still a stupid mother****er, just stop posting.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have not screwed a cue together since February also, and I miss it frequently. I figure it will be another year or more, but personally think the game will be reinvigorated once bars and rooms safely open back up, since it will be something for people to get out and do.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You are still a stupid mother****er, just stop posting.

State your facts with out being a rude, ignorant person, as you choice of words show you have little class.

I have an opinion different apprently from your, that is my right under the Constitution of the USA. A document you might want to read the uncensored version of.

Now crawl back into your parent basement, and safe space.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have not screwed a cue together since February also, and I miss it frequently. I figure it will be another year or more, but personally think the game will be reinvigorated once bars and rooms safely open back up, since it will be something for people to get out and do.

Well you will not get Covid Whatever from pretending to play Pool in the basement, screw your Cue together, stroke it back and forth in an empty better bottle. Homemade straight stroke trainer,

Might keep you Instroke until the Hoax is over, and your over your fear,

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
State your facts with out being a rude, ignorant person, as you choice of words show you have little class.

I have an opinion different apprently from your, that is my right under the Constitution of the USA. A document you might want to read the uncensored version of.

Now crawl back into your parent basement, and safe space.

Amazing, I work for a living. You're on social security, right?

Get off welfare before you try nitpicking someone else's life.

Like yourself, I also exercised First Amendment rights. I'm sorry that you're another snowflake who got his feelings hurt after getting called out for spewing ignorant garbage.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo Cowboy......RIP......Oops, A Little Too Soon.

Yes, I am going to write what I know so many others have to had thought by now.
Cocobolo is certainly entitled to his opinion but he is not entitled to outright lie on Az.
There is no persuading obstinate, ignorant minded individuals to change and during
this pandemic, that is absolutely dangerous. So if Cocobolo comes down with COVID-19,
perhaps that would help dissuade other doubters on the Forum that this is a real threat.
Sooner or later it will happen and it is only a matter of time when you behave recklessly.
So keep it up Cocobolo Cowboy. There’ll still are some ventilators available in your state.

p.s. I am not rooting for this to happen. Just saying it otherwise seems ironically appropriate

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Yes, I am going to write what I know so many others have to had thought by now.
Cocobolo is certainly entitled to his opinion but he is not entitled to outright lie on Az.
There is no persuading obstinate, ignorant minded individuals to change and during
this pandemic, that is absolutely dangerous. So if Cocobolo comes down with COVID-19,
perhaps that would help dissuade other doubters on the Forum that this is a real threat.
Sooner or later it will happen and it is only a matter of time when you behave recklessly.
So keep it up Cocobolo Cowboy. There’ll still are some ventilators available in your state.

p.s. I am not rooting for this to happen. Just saying it otherwise seems ironically appropriate

Well as you opened a can of worms, I will reply to your thought about lies. Hope you are up on the News about Covid 19, apprently the number of real deal deaths directly from Covid 19 is greatly inflated.

Apparently only some like 6 - 8% of the actually deaths are directly related to Covid 19, the other people apprently already shall we say had one foot in the grave, the other was pushed by Covid -19. Today News.

I believe what I believe, it is like being a member of one religion, we have right to practice our faith, and you yours.

Well Arizona is in recovery mode, I am OK, I am a healthy old guy, I eat right, excercise regularly.

I understand your from California, very strange place, very strange people, got a crappy Governor, two Crappy U.S. Senators, the State is going down the tubes, going broke, and you can smoke pot with no hassles. Guess it Utopia, not my kind of Utopia.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Well as you opened a can of worms, I will reply to your thought about lies. Hope you are up on the News about Covid 19, apprently the number of real deal deaths directly from Covid 19 is greatly inflated.

Apparently only some like 6 - 8% of the actually deaths are directly related to Covid 19, the other people apprently already shall we say had one foot in the grave, the other was pushed by Covid -19. Today News.

I believe what I believe, it is like being a member of one religion, we have right to practice our faith, and you yours.

Well Arizona is in recovery mode, I am OK, I am a healthy old guy, I eat right, excercise regularly.

I understand your from California, very strange place, very strange people, got a crappy Governor, two Crappy U.S. Senators, the State is going down the tubes, going broke, and you can smoke pot with no hassles. Guess it Utopia, not my kind of Utopia.

Ha, you equate science to religion.

Your argument is as fallacious as saying that a person who crashed in a commercial airliner died of a broken neck, not falling out of the sky in an airplane crash.

Just stop posting your garbage here, I'll actually pay you to.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I haven't hit a ball in about 1 year and 2 weeks now. 1st it was my back and now my back and Covid. In the time since then, I have 5 new cues, another due to me on Thursday and 1 more on order. So when I get the last ordered cue in I guess I will have a total of 11 cues. I pretty much plan on keeping them all and hopefully not buying or ordering any more after. I do plan on getting the 11.8mm Revo if it ever releases.

The reason I don't plan to sell any is because back in 2007 when I quit the 1st time due to back issues I sold everything and when I came back in 2013 or 14 I was supper bumbed out that everything was gone.

I do have offers from 2 friends to go over to their houses and shoot anytime I want. Problem is they both have lots of stairs and by the time I get up them with my back I won't want to shoot because of the pain I'll be in. I do want to shoot and try out all my new stuff, so one of these days I'll have to suck it up and just do it.

PS. - Coco it's people that act and think like you that the country still has so many places closed and all. If people just followed the rules in place we could be free like they are in New Zealand. I can assure you Covid is a real thing as we all had it in my apartment at the beginning of May. It wasn't a fun month and we almost lost my better half.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

JMHO

Bruce,

I also believe the C-19 death tally is inflated, however, NO ONE knows to what degree

I also believe that it's a dangerous virus that we must contain before we can move forward

A way of reducing the spread, until an effective vaccine is readily available, is by wearing masks....for the sake of others

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the long term guns should be looked at as ballistic wampum. Same thing with a large supply of ammo. Since the virus, then the protester's riots gun sale have gone through the roof. Even on the left coast. It's a valuable commodity.

Pool cues not so much. But with all your high end cues you could surely buy a table.

I spent the winter lockdown time repainting my basement. I closed down the photography studio and put in a bar box to accompany the GC. It's really a different game. Of course now I may never get to play in a bar again.

You need other interests too. Mine is motorcycles. I haven't been touring this season for the first time in 50 years. But there are lots of day rides to help keep me sane. Then come winter it's back to the basement to work on my drills. I do play with two other geezers who I feel safe with. So far so good.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Here in WI we are doing most things like normal. I go to pool league without a mask, went to a local zoo over the weekend again without a mask and nobody was acting weird because of Covid. Tomorrow night I will be at a pool hall with a friend shooting some pool. I think Covid is like the flu and it is here to stay, might as well get used to it. Its hard to believe the media and "medical sources" when the hospitals get paid $25,000 for each China Disease death, you know, that disease made in a lab and released on the public because China is unhappy that they can no longer sell their goods in the USA without being charged a fair tariff.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Of course Covid is real. So was the the 1968 Pandemic and 2009 H1N1 Pandemic, but we have survived these without shutting down our economies. It is the effects of the shut down and the inconsistencies of its enforcement that bother me. People have been forced to give up their livelihoods and freedoms. People are being punished for trying to protect something they spent their entire life building, and which supports their family. They are forbidden to protect their business or job. You can be arrested for cutting one person's hair in a controlled environment while watching hundreds of people walking in and out of the grocery store, Home Depot, and Wal Mart. They say UV and bleach kill the virus, but you can't go to the pool to swim in the sunshine and chlorine... the hypocrisies go on and on. We were told in the beginning the shut down was just to avoid overwhelming the hospitals after that re opening should have started with those at risk and those that choose staying quarantined. We do what needs to be done to minimize the dangers and get on with living before we lose more people to the shut down than the virus.
Covid is real and there is nothing wrong with fearing it and wanting to be safe. We just need to be safe and smart not safe and stupid.

As far as pool goes no leagues or bars as we know. Luckily some of us have our private speak easy we can escape to. We just follow normal pool rules. Stay a proper distance from the other player, and don't slobber on each other.

Shouting people down is a waste of time. Civil debate gives us more information to work with.
IMO

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Since this is being discussed here, here's some factual info, no personal input...

Ron Paul On The "CDC Bombshell" - Only 6% Of 'COVID Deaths' From Only COVID

106469241-1585700459735gettyimages-1216043857.jpeg

If interested, full article: https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/ron-paul-cdc-bombshell-only-6-covid-deaths-only-covid

of the approximately 165,000 "COVID deaths", less than ten thousand died from COVID.

"Is it time to begin litigating the damage done to the US and the world from the lockdown policies?"

Sep 1, 2020 6:00 AM