Crap Southwest huh!? Let me cut it into half for ya!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
"This Southwest Cue had a slight warp in the gripwood. I fixed it by replacing the gripwood. The video is my friend and fellow cuemaker, Josh Treadway cutting the cue in half. This is the first step in replacing the gripwood. I let Josh cut it in half because I know he appreciates quality cues, and I knew he would have mixed emotions while he made the cut. This Southwest cue is now straight, and is a quality cue once again."

...reads like a happy-ending to me :thumbup2:

Replicating SW's taper would be some job.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing the cuemaker is Jim Buss. He's perfectly capable of fixing a SW. I know another guy who does this too and he's no hack. I believe in some cases the fix involves wood threads on both ends and a new piece in the middle

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
I really couldn't tell if that was a look of horror or glee on his face as it went through the saw!!! :yikes:

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Ouch.....!

We've all heard the legend about Gus finding his first ever cue years later, buying it back from the guy and running it through his band saw.

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bastersized

This cue is no longer a southwest it has been bastardized a darn shame

Would be curious to hear cuemakers opion as to bastersized ? Seems like any competent cue repair person has the ability to replace a handle. If inlays added I would agree. Im probably wrong, just curious.

tommygunn78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would be curious to hear cuemakers opion as to bastersized ? Seems like any competent cue repair person has the ability to replace a handle. If inlays added I would agree. Im probably wrong, just curious.

trust me the value of this cue was "CUT IN HALF" as well

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This cue is no longer a southwest it has been bastardized a darn shame

It might have to do with humidity issues vs. the dryness of Vegas, but you would be surprised to know how many SW handles have been "repaired". This is very common in the pacific rim countries.

JV

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
Honestly, I'm not too sure on how a SW transitions from the forearm through the handle. Are they parabolic from end to end, or just through the forearm and straight-tapered back through the handle and sleeve?

Ok, so don't take this wrong, but you had the cue in your hands, and I assume you have a set of dial calipers. Seems like it might have been prudent to map the cue before you reworked it.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite part of the video is Josh getting ready to use the ban saw with that bandage on his left forefinger.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jim Buss

Registered
The cue is not comprised in anyway. The cue was cut in half in the middle of the wrap. I then put the forearm in my lathe, between centers. I tapped the gripwood end off center until the forearm ran true. I then turned the gripwood part to 3/4 inches in diameter. This part is now perfectly aligned with the forearm.

I now did the exact same thing to the gripwood part that was connected to the butt sleeve.

I now cut a couple of inches off of each part of the old gripwood 3/4 inch pieces.

I then bore out a piece of maple to 3/4 inches, and cut to the exact length of the original gripwood.

I then insert the old gripwood pieces into the two ends of the new gripwood. I then apply glue to the new gripwood and align the forearm and the butt sleeve rings, etc with each other.

When the glue sets up, I put the entire cue in the lathe between centers, and turn the new gripwood down to the size of the forearm at one end, and the butt sleeve at the other end.

I then notch the new gripwood area so a new wrap will fit flush and install a new wrap.

The cue is not comprised in anyway. Same taper, and it still has the original A joint in tact, and the same for the buttsleeve.

The owner of this cue was very very happy, which in the end is the most important part.

--JIM BUSS--
http:/www.jimbuss.com