Creep

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I make some horizontal initial tool bit cuts from right to left on my porper b when installing a new tip, on the return left to right of the cutting bit it continues to remove a significant amount of material. It seems like the vertical moves forward on its own on the left to right move. I always finish horizontally with a blade I have even locked the vertical feed to no avail.

Doesn't matter the type or hardness of the tip either. Any thoughts that may be causing this creeping.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
As I make some horizontal initial tool bit cuts from right to left on my porper b when installing a new tip, on the return left to right of the cutting bit it continues to remove a significant amount of material. It seems like the vertical moves forward on its own on the left to right move. I always finish horizontally with a blade I have even locked the vertical feed to no avail.

Doesn't matter the type or hardness of the tip either. Any thoughts that may be causing this creeping.

Make lighter cuts with a sharper tool. Your tool isn't moving, your work piece is flexing due to push off

daxe

custom cues & repair
Silver Member
creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeA View Post

Doesn't matter the type or hardness of the tip either. Any thoughts that may be causing this creeping

Could be dull tooling or to much of the shaft sticking out ::eek:f chuck when cutting causing shaft flex be careful you doint get into the ferrule. :thumbup:

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in responding but had to do some research in order to respond. Porper B does not have gibs. According to Don who is now the Joe Porper, the newer models have springs built in to apply tension to eliminate slop. He says some owners of models without springs, have improvised modifications to accomplish this.

Would love to see pictures with instruction as to how this is done.