Cue alignment???

HelpMeScrubs0013

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
My body still wants to lean in an down towards the cue. I keep starting the cue off at a angle then my body leans towards it so it makes it angled in. Still trying to work on it. Feel like I need shot line towards the end of my right foot not by the heel. If I keep it by my heel I start to look my like sky woodward which is horrible in my opinion.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing my problem. I've turned my body more when standing an seeing the shot before I get down kinda has helped. I know I'm putting the cue around my stance an not stance around the cue. I feel like I need to go more straight down an foward an not lean down an right like this pic shows. I keep my cue angled then I get down on the cue. Trying to see best way not to keep that bad habit. I see top players keep there cue to there hip an get down around the cue an not move it at all when going down. When i do bert way it works but idk best way to do it when standing up straight. I see why jeremy jones does berts method.
In the picture, your head is no longer over the cue. In my opinion, this is completely and utterly broken. It will be impossible for you to learn to shoot with your head over there.

I think you need to find an instructor/coach you can talk to in person. You are not getting better through the discussion on this forum.

My body still wants to lean in an down towards the cue. I keep starting the cue off at a angle then my body leans towards it so it makes it angled in. Still trying to work on it. Feel like I need shot line towards the end of my right foot not by the heel. If I keep it by my heel I start to look my like sky woodward which is horrible in my opinion.
76A5CE83-3E2D-476C-B7E7-29FE526C955A.jpeg83312E7E-2F16-4071-B48A-C080E4472FB1.jpeg75F74468-3415-42AE-903C-A83D13BD84C1.jpegACDB13B7-BD25-41B0-B0C1-4DA8F97F9826.jpeg9C33FB26-B4DC-4357-97D9-84D488AA91C7.jpeg

So your in line before the first step, the step with your left foot puts your head really offline then your not online until you hit the cueball. Start focusing on keeping your vision on the red line an the cue will end up where it is when you hit the ball right away instead of in the last minute.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the absence of an instructor, here's my suggestion:

Get a mirror. Set it up just behind a side pocket and aligned very carefully with the rail. It will need to be about 1x2 feet in size.

Set up a shot on donuts (round paper reinforcements) straight into the side pocket. Get down in position on the shot. Your stick should point straight back to you. Your stick and the image of your stick should be perfectly in line. Your head should be over the stick. Probably your left eye will need to be over the cue stick for the image to look right. Watch your stroke.

The mirror will provide immediate feedback on your alignment.

WobblyStroke

ye u have yo get to the point where u are aligned standing and then the feel is of dropping straight down on that line.
The mirror is a great aid. one other poster suggested using an ironing board at table height by a mounted mirror which may be easier to pull off than getting one set up just right at the table.
As Bob said tho, a live session with an instructor that can make tiny tweeks on the fly is def best route.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Get a mirror. Set it up just behind a side pocket and aligned very carefully with the rail. It will need to be about 1x2 feet in size.

Set up a shot on donuts (round paper reinforcements) straight into the side pocket. Get down in position on the shot. Your stick should point straight back to you. Your stick and the image of your stick should be perfectly in line. Your head should be over the stick. Probably your left eye will need to be over the cue stick for the image to look right. Watch your stroke.

bob
based on the pics above it seems the op is right eye dominant
so
why would the image have to be over his left eye tp look right?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bob
based on the pics above it seems the op is right eye dominant
so
why would the image have to be over his left eye tp look right?
From his stroke error, I think he is left eye dominant but places his right eye over the cue. In any case, what I suggested may get him on the right line in the absence of competent in-person instruction.

Reactions: bbb

HelpMeScrubs0013

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I've tried that little dominant eye test where hold your hand up thing. Showed I was right eye dominant. I mean I'll try my left eye but I know my game will go down for sure at first.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 739824View attachment 739825View attachment 739826View attachment 739827View attachment 739828

So your in line before the first step, the step with your left foot puts your head really offline then your not online until you hit the cueball. Start focusing on keeping your vision on the red line an the cue will end up where it is when you hit the ball right away instead of in the last minute.
I know everyone means well, but some of you are hurting him more than helping him. However, your photos are very helpful here, even though your conclusions are wrong.

Actually, this approach is fine when the player starts out straddling the shot line. Once the player plants his foot on the shot line, then the head temporarily goes off line during the approach. But the planted foot will guide the head back into place over the line.

I think the problem is in the second photo in this series where he is stepping into the shot. He is planting his right foot still a bit too far to his right. You can see in the third photo, his right lower thigh (out of the picture) will probably be on the shot line, which puts his foot slightly over the line. Once he's down, making adjustments is difficult. He should get up and start over.

He needs to feel a lean of slightly right and back once he's down. There's no such thing as weight evenly distributed between both legs in a shooting stance. That's a fallacy.

He's just a hair off. Almost there.

Another thing he needs to watch out for is if he turns his wrist under once he settles into his stance. That will also pull his arm out slightly. His knuckles should remain in the same place along the side of the cue from start to follow through. There should be no twirling or cue spinning during setup.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From his stroke error, I think he is left eye dominant but places his right eye over the cue. In any case, what I suggested may get him on the right line in the absence of competent in-person instruction.
No, I don't think he's left eye dominant. We'd see stronger signs of that, like a chicken wing arm.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So would it not hurt starting with the right foot on the shot line with shoulder an cue on the line as well. I already got it down where my body doesn't like being squared. I have to be at a angle already before getting down.
lot of greats played exactly like this. whatever way lets you deliver the cue on line.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing my problem. I've turned my body more when standing an seeing the shot before I get down kinda has helped. I know I'm putting the cue around my stance an not stance around the cue. I feel like I need to go more straight down an foward an not lean down an right like this pic shows. I keep my cue angled then I get down on the cue. Trying to see best way not to keep that bad habit. I see top players keep there cue to there hip an get down around the cue an not move it at all when going down. When i do bert way it works but idk best way to do it when standing up straight. I see why jeremy jones does berts method.
Reread Poolmanis' post. This is most likely your problem. When you lock onto the shot with the center of your body, you really need to do a snooker twist to get aligned properly. Other option is to attack the shotline slightly from the side like you're messing with here.

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Josh Filler

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reread Poolmanis' post. This is most likely your problem. When you lock onto the shot with the center of your body, you really need to do a snooker twist to get aligned properly. Other option is to attack the shotline slightly from the side like you're messing with here.

and watch out if you do it Filler-style - your head might get stuck that way and permanently tilt to the side

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Left eye, right eye, both eyes.
Any particular one better than another?

And how about the shaft under chin, is it needed on All the above set ups?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Left eye, right eye, both eyes.
Any particular one better than another?

And how about the shaft under chin, is it needed on All the above set ups?
Just focus on the OB and center the double shaft in your vision. This puts you down straight on the shot line. The more vertical the shaft the better. At the balance point but upright the shaft will naturally hang 90 degrees from the table surface.

EDIT: Knowing you're seeing the center is important. As you become centered with the shot get down into stance.

Last edited:

HelpMeScrubs0013

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Well after more hrs an practice on my stroke I finally have got it done. Here's final cueing. I've been playing alot better to. I practice almost everyday so there's been big difference an long shot an tough cuts.

Attachments

• 20240310_231940.jpg
    20240310_231940.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 93

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
t

This is very good advice. I used mirror to coach young snooker player who was leaning out quite a bit. I just could not make it anything what would correct it because he could not feel it. Mirror fixed it on 2 hours and it he is now proper way on shot. Effect stayed 3 weeks so far. Very powerful

Last edited:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
He could find out for himself pretty quick and report back on here...That may help make sure he is not dialing in wrong.

make a circle with your first finger and thumb and look through it to a specific point with both eyes open.....without moving close one eye and see if that point remains in the circle or if it disappears behind your hand (or moves the other way out of the circle).....If it remains in the circle....the eye that is open is your dominant eye....if it disappears...your closed eye is your dominant eye.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Can you elaborate on this snooker twist?