CUE BALL CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
They were expecting to see you run 627 balls.
If I ran 627 balls on this table, I would probably get even more thumbs down since my table pockets are so big. :sorry:

As both a pool player and an engineer I love what you do and appreciate the effort you put into the sport.
Thank you. It is my pleasure ... honestly.

Regards,
Dave

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another excellent lesson, Dave. I can't imagine why anyone would give it a thumbs down!! Probably a player just learning to play and has trouble drawing the ball.

I believe people that either don't understand the concepts or lack some basic playing skills are the type that will leave negative comments or a thumbs down on a perfect video lesson. It's as if, since they can't relate to the material, they believe there is a secret to what you are doing, something not revealed in the video, something other than basic skills, and this pushes them to the point of negativity. Good thing it's probably less than 5% of the population that are like this. Lol

Of course you'll also have those who are thinking, 'Wait a minute...this isn't all you need to know to control the cue ball! What about massé shots and spinning off the cushion, and blah blah blah....?" Lol. You can never please everybody because there are always a few aholes wanting more, or less, of whatever you are showing, even if it doesn't pertain to the lesson.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another excellent lesson, Dave.
Thanks Brian.

I can't imagine why anyone would give it a thumbs down!! Probably a player just learning to play and has trouble drawing the ball.

I believe people that either don't understand the concepts or lack some basic playing skills are the type that will leave negative comments or a thumbs down on a perfect video lesson. It's as if, since they can't relate to the material, they believe there is a secret to what you are doing, something not revealed in the video, something other than basic skills, and this pushes them to the point of negativity. Good thing it's probably less than 5% of the population that are like this. Lol

Of course you'll also have those who are thinking, 'Wait a minute...this isn't all you need to know to control the cue ball! What about massé shots and spinning off the cushion, and blah blah blah....?" Lol. You can never please everybody because there are always a few aholes wanting more, or less, of whatever you are showing, even if it doesn't pertain to the lesson.
Well stated. Wow ... there are more reasons to dislike videos than I thought.

I don’t think I like your post one bit. Thumbs down! :angry:

... just kidding. :thumbup:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Here are the tentative topics currently on my list:

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Playing Position Off Hangers
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

Of these topics, which would you most like to see?

What other topics would you like to see?

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it can't possibly be that they didn't like the video.

Most of youtube is free, so the it's informative and free is rather moot.

This guy lol. Your right, it couldn't be that they didn't like the video. Unlike how everybody doesn't like your sarcastic, pointless and unhelpful comments.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Video

Dave,

I really, really enjoyed this video. Extremely well put together.

When I was a kid I read Robert Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. I found his diagrams and explanations of stun/follow/draw to be the industry leader and to this day have referred to this when working with pool students. This video is the first thing I've seen that explains that as well or better, and then goes on to add nuances along with examples and explanations. Quite simply, this may be the industry leading resource to help explain the workings of cue ball reaction off the object ball. This isn't knocking Byrne down, it's honoring him as we all share the passion for the game and you have simply expanded what he and others have brought to us. I owe much to him and think he'd be the first to celebrate this video.

One example I really appreciated was explaining how a closer to center hit can be used to stop the ball from a closer distance, while a higher hit is needed to follow the ball from a closer distance. I still remember one of my first pro events where I shot a ball four feet away intending to follow to the rail and back to the middle of the table. To my dismay the cue ball barely dribbled forward and left me hooked and on the end rail! While I won my match, afterwards my opponent graciously explained that I was playing on a newly recovered tournament table with slippery cloth, and as a result the cue ball wouldn't pick up natural roll when shooting with speed, even from long distances. After that I cued much higher and had great results with my top spin (always being aware of the magnified arcing effect on slippery cloth should the object ball be near the rail; sometimes you could get more follow with a lower tip to prevent the arcing and allow a controlled stun run through!).

My advice to those sharing this video with a student or learning this for the first time is to pause after each of his statements and duplicate his experiment on the pool table. It's a lot of information quickly and just watching a video won't lead to pool mastery.

As for other video ideas, I actually have one that I would like to connect with you about and potentially collaborate with you on. I'll name the topic, if you are interested please PM me with your contact information and I can set up a time to discuss. It would be a video on "Playing position off of a hanging ball". If you already have a video on this I missed it so my apologies. Essentially there are a lot of subtleties in playing shape off of a hanging ball. I just did some work with a student on this and made some interesting discoveries about these shots. There are so many options and nuances and a few surprising themes that can really clarify where to play shape and what the most consistent routes are, I'm confident even professional players could improve in this area. The best part is these shots also teach blending thickness of hit and cheating the pocket to control originally established tangent line, side spin, speed, and other factors. By the time you learn how to control the cue ball off of a hanging ball position you will understand the cue ball in general much better in ways that will help nearly universally.

Dave, I really hope we meet someday. I love your passion for the game and tip my hat again to a very fine production of cue ball training!

Last edited:

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates all important cue ball control principles, effects, and skills, all in one place. Here it is:

Topics covered include stop/stun/follow/draw, 90˚ rule, 30˚ rule, 3-times-the-angle system, tangent line, natural angle, good action draw, pocket cheating, cut-induced throw, sidespin effects, speed effects, drag and spin conversion, and CB control drills.

This video is a little on the longer side (14 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. I predict this will become my most-watched YouTube video of all time ... assuming people know what is best for them.

I suspect even top players can learn a thing or two from this video, but it is still mostly geared toward beginner and intermediate players.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave
Thumbs up from me! Thank you!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,

I really, really enjoyed this video. Extremely well put together.
Thank you!

When I was a kid I read Robert Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. I found his diagrams and explanations of stun/follow/draw to be the industry leader and to this day have referred to this when working with pool students. This video is the first thing I've seen that explains that as well or better, and then goes on to add nuances along with examples and explanations. Quite simply, this may be the industry leading resource to help explain the workings of cue ball reaction off the object ball. This isn't knocking Byrne down, it's honoring him as we all share the passion for the game and you have simply expanded what he and others have brought to us. I owe much to him and think he'd be the first to celebrate this video.
The table in my newer videos was previously owned by Robert Byrne. Maybe his greatest is finally starting to ooze into my pores through his table. :grin-square:

One example I really appreciated was explaining how a closer to center hit can be used to stop the ball from a closer distance, while a higher hit is needed to follow the ball from a closer distance. I still remember one of my first pro events where I shot a ball four feet away intending to follow to the rail and back to the middle of the table. To my dismay the cue ball barely dribbled forward and left me hooked and on the end rail! While I won my match, afterwards my opponent graciously explained that I was playing on a newly recovered tournament table with slippery cloth, and as a result the cue ball wouldn't pick up natural roll when shooting with speed, even from long distances. After that I cued much higher and had great results with my top spin (always being aware of the magnified arcing effect on slippery cloth should the object ball be near the rail; sometimes you could get more follow with a lower tip to prevent the arcing and allow a controlled stun run through!).
I find that many people (even some experienced players) sometimes have an incomplete understanding of drag/spin-conversion principles.

My advice to those sharing this video with a student or learning this for the first time is to pause after each of his statements and duplicate his experiment on the pool table. It's a lot of information quickly and just watching a video won't lead to pool mastery.
Well stated. Information is useless if the knowledge cannot be applied and supported by a foundation of skill.

As for other video ideas, I actually have one that I would like to connect with you about and potentially collaborate with you on. I'll name the topic, if you are interested please PM me with your contact information and I can set up a time to discuss. It would be a video on "Playing position off of a hanging ball". If you already have a video on this I missed it so my apologies. Essentially there are a lot of subtleties in playing shape off of a hanging ball. I just did some work with a student on this and made some interesting discoveries about these shots. There are so many options and nuances and a few surprising themes that can really clarify where to play shape and what the most consistent routes are, I'm confident even professional players could improve in this area. The best part is these shots also teach blending thickness of hit and cheating the pocket to control originally established tangent line, side spin, speed, and other factors. By the time you learn how to control the cue ball off of a hanging ball position you will understand the cue ball in general much better in ways that will help nearly universally.
Excellent idea. I'll add "Hanger Position Play" to the list, and I will PM you. I cover this stuff in detail on VEPS and VEPP, but an "Everything You Need to Know" video would still be helpful, especially if I add things I didn't know when working on VEPS and VEPP, possibly with your help.

Dave, I really hope we meet someday. I love your passion for the game and tip my hat again to a very fine production of cue ball training!
Thanks again. I hope to meet you some day also.

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates all important cue ball control principles, effects, and skills, all in one place. Here it is:

Topics covered include stop/stun/follow/draw, 90˚ rule, 30˚ rule, 3-times-the-angle system, tangent line, natural angle, good action draw, pocket cheating, cut-induced throw, sidespin effects, speed effects, drag and spin conversion, and CB control drills.

This video is a little on the longer side (14 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. I predict this will become my most-watched YouTube video of all time ... assuming people know what is best for them.

I suspect even top players can learn a thing or two from this video, but it is still mostly geared toward beginner and intermediate players.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Thumbs up from me! Thank you!
Thank you ... and you're welcome!

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

What other topics would you like to see?

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

I look forward to your input.
Anybody else have any input or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent video that captures all of the rules of thumb (with hints of what english does off the rails.

What I have found to be the most misunderstood aspect by people is the 3 different phases of the cueball action when applying draw and how distance, cueball speed and cloth affect the "start/stop" phases.

The video you created of this is excellent (much better than the top view videos were as it gives great "table context").

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent video that captures all of the rules of thumb (with hints of what english does off the rails.

What I have found to be the most misunderstood aspect by people is the 3 different phases of the cueball action when applying draw and how distance, cueball speed and cloth affect the "start/stop" phases.

The video you created of this is excellent (much better than the top view videos were as it gives great "table context").
I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks,
Dave

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Dave

Playing position of off hangars is a great idea.

An important issue not to overlook for beginners is why you leave hangers hanging until you need to pocket them (defense, and to use for cueball position when you get into trouble).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing position of off hangars is a great idea.

An important issue not to overlook for beginners is why you leave hangers hanging until you need to pocket them (defense, and to use for cueball position when you get into trouble).
Good point.

Thank you,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

For me they'd be Position Play Principles and Kicks and Banks - I'd be interested to see what new things I can learn.

pj
chgo

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Dave

Kicks and banks - one suggestion I have is to highlight 3 things (if you go to this level of detail).

1) explaining why the "through diamond" methods and the "front of diamonds" methods are the same (geometry of cue ball the rail contact point with either method is very close to the same). I find this to be very confusing for people just learning banks shots and learning the diamond systems.

2) how much speed of the intended shot can affect the target point (and thus the rebound angle),

3) how a cut angle imparts counter spin on the object ball off the rail which affects the aim spot (which decreases or increases the rebound angle).

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kicks and banks - one suggestion I have is to highlight 3 things (if you go to this level of detail).

1) explaining why the "through diamond" methods and the "front of diamonds" methods are the same (geometry of cue ball the rail contact point with either method is very close to the same). I find this to be very confusing for people just learning banks shots and learning the diamond systems.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Aiming through the diamonds is definitely quite different from aiming across from (or in front of) the diamonds. Now, regardless of what system you use, there is only one correct line of aim and required CB contact point on the cushion for a given shot angle/speed/spin. That would definitely need to be the same for different systems giving the correct line of aim for a given shot. Is that what you meant?

2) how much speed of the intended shot can affect the target point (and thus the rebound angle),

3) how a cut angle imparts counter spin on the object ball off the rail which affects the aim spot (which decreases or increases the rebound angle).
These topics would definitely be covered.

Regards,
Dave