Cue builders with pins in the shaft

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
RIP Edwin. Can't believe it's been more than a decade .

I still think of our friend often. No justice for Edwin! I wish there was a way we could stir poop.

The origin of the cue, regardless if the location was overseas or not, has little to do with its design
using the threaded screw in butt or the cue shaft. Two piece pool cues have been made with the
threaded screw in the butt for a very long time. I don’t believe it has anything to do with imported
cues from China, The Philippines or elsewhere. I think it was just the evolution of pool cue anatomy.
There are others on the Forum that are expert historians about pool cues & I’ll defer to their thoughts.

Not saying that both methods haven't been used probably from the time there have been jointed cues. Supposedly, the pin in the butt by US makers was solidified to differentiate from the cheap imports with the pin in the shaft that were coming in at the time. True or not, I don't know.

Funny thing, perhaps the best joint design I have seen was on an under ten dollar cue!

Hu

kling&allen

Registered
Brunswick switched to pin-in-the-butt sometime in the 1930s I believe for their stock cues. Perhaps one of the Brunswick/Titlist experts can chime in more on the timeline. I think there's a thread somewhere on AZB where it's suggested Brunswick switched to butt-mounted pins because it was easier from a manufacturing standpoint. Once that change happened, it makes sense that later cuemakers would duplicate the standard.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems most Carom cues have the pin in the shaft. Is that simply tradition or something else.
I've never heard of a joint failing other than a collar cracking.

I was told by a Champion 3C Player that a pin in the joint is a stronger assembly.
He wasn't a Mechanical Engineer. Just his belief.

As a 3C player. all my cues have shaft pins. My Players are from Dieckman. Like him or not, if he thought he should put the pin in the butt, he would have.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't you get more vibration in the shaft that way ?
Why would you think that ?

Consider a wood-wood joint (to simplify the description)
a) Pin is screwed into the butt solidly enough to never unscrew unless "proper tools" are applied
b) Pin is screwed into the shaft solidly enough to never unscrew unless "proper tools" are applied

Why would the Pin in Butt be able to hold the face of the butt to the face of the shaft any better (or worse!) than vice versa ?
If you cannot answer this question, you should not be making that statement.

Guy Manges

Registered
Why would you think that ?

Consider a wood-wood joint (to simplify the description)
a) Pin is screwed into the butt solidly enough to never unscrew unless "proper tools" are applied
b) Pin is screwed into the shaft solidly enough to never unscrew unless "proper tools" are applied

Why would the Pin in Butt be able to hold the face of the butt to the face of the shaft any better (or worse!) than vice versa ?
If you cannot answer this question, you should not be making that statement.
I thought I made a question , Is that not allowed ?

Guy Manges

Registered
Why is it when asking a question on some threads , that we get responses saying if you don't know the answer then don't ask the ? Question, does this make since to anyone... Guy

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why is it when asking a question on some threads , that we get responses saying if you don't know the answer then don't ask the ? Question, does this make since to anyone... Guy

Guy,

I have been looking at this post since you put it up, some topics are so loaded that some will assume that anyone broaching the subject is in the mood to stir the poop! "Do you prefer cotton or Nylon rope to beat your wife with?" leaves no doubt. However somebody will then stmbbff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems most Carom cues have the pin in the shaft. Is that simply tradition or something else.
I've never heard of a joint failing other than a collar cracking.

I was told by a Champion 3C Player that a pin in the joint is a stronger assembly.
He wasn't a Mechanical Engineer. Just his belief.

As a 3C player. all my cues have shaft pins. My Players are from Dieckman. Like him or not, if he thought he should put the pin in the butt, he would have.
No so anymore...modern 3c cues have the pin in the butt now.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Brunswick switched to pin-in-the-butt sometime in the 1930s I believe for their stock cues. Perhaps one of the Brunswick/Titlist experts can chime in more on the timeline. I think there's a thread somewhere on AZB where it's suggested Brunswick switched to butt-mounted pins because it was easier from a manufacturing standpoint. Once that change happened, it makes sense that later cuemakers would duplicate the standard.

Purely a cost measure

A pin in a cue allows for cheaper replacement shafts

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Purely a cost measure

A pin in a cue allows for cheaper replacement shafts
Burton Spain clearly based his early cues on antique Brunswick cues, from woods, to veneer colors, to the pin-in-shaft.

Most based their work on later Brunswicks with joint, collar, pin set up

Guy Manges

Registered
You are wrong, when the cue is screwed together it really doesn't matter. It's a threaded connection regardless of where the pin is glued in
How could that possibly have anything to do with my original question ? ( ? ) You lost me... ( I Ask if it would cause vibration in the shaft ? ( ? ) ...

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
How could that possibly have anything to do with my original question ? ( ? ) You lost me... ( I Ask if it would cause vibration in the shaft ? ( ? ) ...
When the cue is screwed together, how is the pin in the shaft any different than the pin in the butt?

I answered your question very clearly

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
dont know why some did and some didnt.
but with it in the shaft you are going to have to send your butt in and most likely to the maker if you need more shafts.

where now most cues can take almost all shafts that have the same pin size..