Cue Chalking Crutch

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for calling me a liar.

If you actually read the post, I wrote that it will not usually need reshaping OFTEN. Of course it needs maintainance. This concept also varies between different types of tips and manufacturers. There are different grades of tires as well, that wear at different rates.

Have a great day Mr. Perfect

I shouldn't have worded my answer as an absolute. I don't doubt the validity of your experience, as you are the one who experienced it.

I personally have never come across a tip that will keep its radius as it is played with, regardless of manufacturer or hardness. I think some people get used to and by extension prefer how the radius changes with play.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
To have a tip flatten in the middle is not normal unless you’re doing a lot of aggressive scruffing or even worse doing the “fire starter” routine, which I’ve noticed recently is actually a somewhat common (bad for your tip/play, good for your cue mechanic) practice.
No idea what the case is here but a couple of other common culprits among others are less experienced players not using as much english as they should be, and breaking with your playing cue (especially if you have a hard break).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you mean by "fire starting routine". If it's a reference to grinding with the chalk, that is certainly not the technique that I use. The milk duds I use don't really need scuffing, the regular shaping keeps them holding chalk just fine.

Through the course of normal play, for me, that is the way my tip wears. I'm not saying it goes dead flat, but it certainly flattens from a nickel radius in the center of the tip. It is consistent and requires shaping back to a nickel radius regularly.

I am careful in my shaping routine only taking enough material to return to a prefect radius. I get good life out of my tips, but I don't try and preserve them as long as I can. I'd rather a new tip two or three times a year than an improperly shaped tip, for me.

The fire starter thing is something you can occasionally witness in any pool room nowadays: it's when a player puts a scruffier -- often the one with the glass-like particles -- on the floor and then turn their cue upside down and use both hands to rotate the cue back and forth like you might do to start a fire.

If that's not the case, I would strongly consider changing tip brands because from your description, and despite your best efforts, it sounds like your tip is constantly morphing throughout the course of play.

Lou Figueroa

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fire starter thing is something you can occasionally witness in any pool room nowadays: it's when a player puts a scruffier -- often the one with the glass-like particles -- on the floor and then turn their cue upside down and use both hands to rotate the cue back and forth like you might do to start a fire.

If that's not the case, I would strongly consider changing tip brands because from your description, and despite your best efforts, it sounds like your tip is constantly morphing throughout the course of play.

Lou Figueroa
It happens with all the tips I've used. I think you have an exaggerated notion of what I'm describing. The tip doesn't actually go flat in the center it just flattens out from the nickel I prefer maybe closer to a quarter. It's not a big deal to reshape it. I typically play a solid 6 or 7 hours a week of actual table time and reshape maybe every other week. I'm not burning through tips, I'm extremely satisfied with my tip of choice and will not change.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No idea what the case is here but a couple of other common culprits among others are less experienced players not using as much english as they should be, and breaking with your playing cue (especially if you have a hard break).
Neither of those things apply here. Your offering solutions to a non existent problem. Tips wear and then you reshape them.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
LOL... anyone who says this "chalk look chalk look chalk look chalk" phenomenon does not exist just needs to watch this video. We've all seen it in action.
I guess in his defense chalk is cheaper than therapy! :)