Cue info needed

jdsons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I obtained a cue from a relative, who passed. I was hoping to get AZBers idea on two questions.

What year (or time frame) it was made?

I was told and believe it is a Tad. Confirm or get ideas on the maker.

All i know about the cue.

5/16 - 18 brass pin piloted, with steel collar.

Butt is 28.5" Shaft is 29.5"

I plays great. Not original wrap

Hopefull pic attached with answer all other questions.

20210104_163752.jpg20210104_164748.jpg20210104_163918.jpg20210104_163728.jpg20210104_164009.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Julian

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I obtained a cue from a relative, who passed. I was hoping to get AZBers idea on two questions.

What year (or time frame) it was made?

I was told and believe it is a Tad. Confirm or get ideas on the maker.

All i know about the cue.

5/16 - 18 brass pin piloted, with steel collar.

Butt is 28.5" Shaft is 29.5"

I plays great. Not original wrap

Hopefull pic attached with answer all other questions.

View attachment 580336View attachment 580337View attachment 580338View attachment 580339View attachment 580340

Thanks for looking,

Julian

At first glance it looks like it could be an early TAD. What makes me question that is the under bumper picture. Never seen a TAD that didn’t have the wood core showing. I am sure someone on heat can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jdsons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably an import copy, check that pin
What am I looking for on the pin?

It is brass and 5/16 - 18 piloted and not quit an inch long. No markings. The cue is well made

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's an imported cue (although I could be wrong). That's a nice cue, probably circa 1960's or early 70's. There may have been another shaft that was 28.5", making this a 57" cue. That was the standard size cue back then. 58" cues didn't really become the norm until later in the 70's and early 80's. The original shaft may have been played down to pencil size and discarded at some point in time. I'm thinking more like an early Hank Corsair cue possibly (he copied Tad for awhile). Ginacue Ernie even experimented with similar looking cues early in his career. And yes, I wouldn't rule out an early Tad. He also experimented around while looking for ways to innovate his cue making. I wouldn't be too quick to part with that cue.

jdsons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's an imported cue (although I could be wrong). That's a nice cue, probably circa 1960's or early 70's. There may have been another shaft that was 28.5", making this a 57" cue. That was the standard size cue back then. 58" cues didn't really become the norm until later in the 70's and early 80's. The original shaft may have been played down to pencil size and discarded at some point in time. I'm thinking more like an early Hank Corsair cue possibly (he copied Tad for awhile). Ginacue Ernie even experimented with similar looking cues early in his career. And yes, I wouldn't rule out an early Tad. He also experimented around while looking for ways to innovate his cue making. I wouldn't be too quick to part with that cue.
Thanks Jay.

I am really interested in identifying the cue, now.

It is not an any catalog I can find.

Thanks for all the information and ideas.

Julian

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im agreeing with Jay. That is a cue that was well built in it's day. Not really familiar with west coast builders, though I once owned a Tad back in the late 70's when I ventured out that way . Hope that someone can chime in to giving you the info your wanting, When I see a cue built with the shaft made in the pic above and the pilot extension making it's way into the joint like this one has, I take notice. Good luck

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAD, pre-1970, likely 1968-1969. Very early cue, when TAD was still experimenting. I believe it to be a precursor to the TAD5 on the catalogue.

jdsons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAD, pre-1970, likely 1968-1969. Very early cue, when TAD was still experimenting. I believe it to be a precursor to the TAD5 on the catalogue.
Thank you.

"based on the pictures it looks like an early Tad cue." Fred emailed.

I feel better, knowing.

Thanks to everyone. I am go with it being a Tad.

Julian