Cue lathe question...

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys,
Is this normal? (the little button in the middle). I'm new to lathes!

shafts%20020.jpg

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your cutting tool height is probably too low. Put a shim under the tool in the tool holder or raise the tool a little if you have a quick change tool holder.

Hope this helps

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for everyones reply! Whew... I thought it was going to be something more serious!

Thanks!

sly_shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the others said. I just got a Taig set up for some simple repairs.
The same thing happened. I had a feeler gauge set for working on cars, and I put some of the metal blades under the cutting bit to raise it some.

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
a small piece of 100 grit wet/dry sandpaper under your bit would cure that

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collet location

In the picture you provided the slit in the collet is in one of the jaws. You will want to make sure that it is free from the jaw so that it can close uniformally. It may bind on the jay.

JIm.

tsp&b

Silver Member
In the picture you provided the slit in the collet is in one of the jaws. You will want to make sure that it is free from the jaw so that it can close uniformally. It may bind on the jay.

JIm.

Very good observation!!!:thumbup:

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cutter mark goes past the base of the ferrule. Stop right where the ferrule ends just undersize of the wood. Finish sand the wood between centers after you tip it, light with 220, then strong with 400. The wood sands away faster then the ferrule. You're taking a chance of necking the wood down trying to get rid of your cutter mark.

Sand the outside of the ferrule with 220, then 400 before tipping. Otherwise you carry tip dust into the ferrule that your can't get out.

VERY good point on your collet slit needing to be between your 3-jaws. You need your runout around 0.001" before cutting the ferrule flush. I like to clamp the shaft tight in my back collet wrapped in a piece of 1/16" rubber gasket material. Then clamp it tight in your front collet wrapped in a smoking paper. I can never get the runout I want using a split collet. Yours looks pretty accurate though.

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A BIG sincere Thanks for everyones input. :D

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out!

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
Tool height.

the proper way to set up the cutter height is to go off of the live or dead center in the tailstock. If top of your cutter is the same height as the end of the point it is set right. Not however the same for a cutoff/ parting tool for that you want to be slightly lower than center. And by slightly I mean 0.010"..

John