Cue Length

dendweller

I'm curious about why people stick with a more conventional cue length of 58" or so rather than going to 60" or more. I have cues of both lengths and some times I feel like I like the shorter better, not sure why.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a DZ, (Bob Dzurichy), cue, 29" butt and 30" 12.25mm shaft, and this is rare for him.
I bought it from a guy on this forum.
Absolutely high quality, in every aspect. The 30" shaft is AAA+ but somehow it thows me off.
If I'm just banging balls, the follow, draw, and spin is incredible.
My problem is I get down non a shot and sometimes my tip touches the CB, I think because of the extra inch.
I'm thinking about having my cue repair man take it back to where the ferrul is then just add a fiber pad and tip.
What y'all think?
~ Ferruless shaft ???

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a DZ, (Bob Dzurichy), cue, 29" butt and 30" 12.25mm shaft, and this is rare for him.
I bought it from a guy on this forum.
Absolutely high quality, in every aspect. The 30" shaft is AAA+ but somehow it thows me off.
If I'm just banging balls, the follow, draw, and spin is incredible.
My problem is I get down non a shot and sometimes my tip touches the CB, I think because of the extra inch.
I'm thinking about having my cue repair man take it back to where the ferrul is then just add a fiber pad and tip.
What y'all think?
~ Ferruless shaft ???
Put a piece of tape on the grip at the right place for your grip hand.

pj
chgo

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised we don’t see more custom cues in all kinds of lengths. It would make sense for cues to be sized to a player’s height, wingspan, or just preference. 58” being a standardized size whether someone is 5’5” or 6’5” is illogical. I understand manufacturers have addressed this with extensions that a lot of people are playing with full-time(I use one), but for me the ideal would be to just have a two piece cue at the right length rather than an additional joint.

I’m not really tall(6’1”), but with a normal 58” cue my back hand is all the way at the butt cap. I played with a 60” cue for a few years and I’ve recently switched to a standard 58” with a 4” mid-cue extension. It’s comfortable, but I think I’m going to try out a 3” extension as well to see if I like 61” better than 62”.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m surprised we don’t see more custom cues in all kinds of lengths. It would make sense for cues to be sized to a player’s height, wingspan, or just preference. 58” being a standardized size whether someone is 5’5” or 6’5” is illogical. I understand manufacturers have addressed this with extensions that a lot of people are playing with full-time(I use one), but for me the ideal would be to just have a two piece cue at the right length rather than an additional joint.

I’m not really tall(6’1”), but with a normal 58” cue my back hand is all the way at the butt cap. I played with a 60” cue for a few years and I’ve recently switched to a standard 58” with a 4” mid-cue extension. It’s comfortable, but I think I’m going to try out a 3” extension as well to see if I like 61” better than 62”.
I am 6’4”. I have both 29” and 30” butts and shafts, and also have a 2”, 4” and 8” butt extenders. This allows me the ability to vary my cue lengths every inch from 58” to 68”, with the lone exception of 65”. Currently I use a 62” on a 9-foot table and 64” when playing on our 10 foot table.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a DZ with a 30" shaft 12.8 mm. We also have three Schon's, all with 30" shafts. Two with Jacoby ultra's, one with a Schon 30" shaft that I have taken down to similar dimensions as the Ultra. I also at times play with my Schon and a 29" ultra, and a 3" carbon extension by Rick Roper, for a 61" length, and really like that. The extension is extremely light, and by playing with weight bolts can keep my total weight down to just under 20 oz. We now play in two leagues, one being a bar league, and because of this, I usually just play without the extension and a 30" shaft because some of the bars are tight for space. If I just played the one league where space wasn't a concern, I would always play with the extension at a 61" length. What is really nice with that setup is, that if I need a little more extension for a shot, I can just screw one of his other extensions on the back of it for that shot.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I like to experiment with different cue lengths for the same reason. Golfers pick clubs based on their length, no reason pool players shouldn't.

Zerksies

I think its more economical just to sell extensions.

If money is not object you can definitely get a custom cue and case made to your size. But from a manufacturing and sales aspect I think you are going to have a lot of inventory just sitting around, if you just start making cues of all sizes.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its more economical just to sell extensions.

If money is not object you can definitely get a custom cue and case made to your size. But from a manufacturing and sales aspect I think you are going to have a lot of inventory just sitting around, if you just start making cues of all sizes.
The standardized lengths definitely make sense for the manufacturers. What surprises me is that we don’t see more used custom cues in non-standard lengths.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every cue case I have seen (many) would accommodate 30" shafts and butts, so that wouldn't be a problem.

NevadaP

I'm curious about why people stick with a more conventional cue length of 58" or so rather than going to 60" or more. I have cues of both lengths and some times I feel like I like the shorter better, not sure why.
I designed my room so that I could shoot on my 8 foot table with a 'full size' 58 inch cue from any position on the table or in the room without impediment. I can do so, but just barely from one of the corners. I could not use a 60 inch cue from those few positions, so me, a 60 inch cue would be less than desirable. I desperately did not wish to use a 'shorty' cue, even on rare occasions, so the 58 inch is the sweet spot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I designed my room so that I could shoot on my 8 foot table with a 'full size' 58 inch cue from any position on the table or in the room without impediment. I can do so, but just barely from one of the corners. I could not use a 60 inch cue from those few positions, so me, a 60 inch cue would be less than desirable. I desperately did not wish to use a 'shorty' cue, even on rare occasions, so the 58 inch is the sweet spot.

That's only for use at home though. I have some space restrictions on my home table but 95% of the time I am playing at a pool room where the competition is at.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The extra length cues do present a problem in some tables in some pool rooms, like ours, requiring players to remove their extensions for certain shots.

NevadaP

That's only for use at home though. I have some space restrictions on my home table but 95% of the time I am playing at a pool room where the competition is at.
Very true, but I much prefer to use my primary cue no matter where I play. I feel at a disadvantage when forced to use a secondary cue. Psychological, of course, but real to me nonetheless.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It comes down to how you hold the cue, right? Aside from Earl Strickland and SVB, most players are using 58" cues because they follow proper fundamentals and hold the cue correctly. Being lazy and needing 2" more to grab the buttcap for a long shot, they miss more often than the pros.

I am reasonably tall and prefer a 57"-58" cue with a wrap, and when my hand touches the buttsleeve, I know I'm getting lazy and reaching too far. Has helped my pocketing considerably.