Cue rubber bumper vs cue no rubber bumper

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never owned a cue with no bumper (i.e., original Brunswick Hoppe), but I have banged around with several and it seems that they have a different “hit/sound” than cues with bumpers.

I ordered a cue from Richard Black, back in 1978, and originally asked for a Hoppe design. He told me not to get that style because he hadn’t perfected it yet. His cue had a bumper and he said it made some kind of unusual sound. I went with one of his standard four-point Ebony cues instead.

I was wondering if anyone ever made a Hoppe-style butt, with an internal rubber bumper (or damper) that would dampen the sound and vibration to make it feel and sound like a cue with a regular bumper.

I think I may have one more custom made before I call it quits. (LOL. That is what I always say and why I have a closet full of cues.)

Since I never got my Hoppe, I was thinking of a simple replica of a Hoppe, but with modern specs and building techniques.

Four-point shorty ebony forearm with original Titlist veneer colors into straight-grained maple.

Smooth black leather wrap.

Ebony butt sleeve with Hoppe ring and black butt plate made the same widths as an original Hoppe.

Brass joint. Black joint and shaft collars. Ivory ferrules.

Now comes the tricky part with the recessed bumper (or damper) that is hidden under the butt plate. Is this something that anybody has done or is it not needed?

I would not want something that may come loose inside and cause some kind of rattling or vibration. I once had one of my old cues start playing like a car running on a flat tire and it took me a while to figure out the problem and it turned out to be the rubber bumper where it had torn loose from the washer where the screw held it in. When I replaced the bumper, it was back to normal.

Any comments, thoughts, advice appreciated.

Aloha.

If you are interested, might want to take a look at urethane dampeners. They are used quite a bit in the archery sport and industry, both for competition and hunting. I have always thought about getting a three-piece cue and inserting some dampeners in the last joint to see what happens.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I like the extra sound and feedback, personally. Never understood wanting to dampen it. Remember these?
Cu6sB6y.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Actually, the answer is really easy. There are threaded rubber bumpers out there, just search Atlas, Prather, whatever.

Have the cuemaker make the butt of the cue to accept a threaded bumper, no weight screw. Then have him cut off the extended portion of the bumper, that would normally be outside the butt plate. Then have him cut out a slot piece of what's remaining of that threaded rubber bumper, to be able to screw it into the recessed portion of the butt plate, and all you would see is a black piece that looks like a weight screw, but is actually what remains of the threaded bumper. Obviously the cue has to be heavy enough to not need a real weight screw. Should not be a problem.

After all is said and done, you have a rubber bumper inside the butt plate, but not extended past the butt plate. It will dampen the sound of the hit, which I think is what you are after.

All the best,
WW

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the answer is really easy. There are threaded rubber bumpers out there, just search Atlas, Prather, whatever.

Have the cuemaker make the butt of the cue to accept a threaded bumper, no weight screw. Then have him cut off the extended portion of the bumper, that would normally be outside the butt plate. Then have him cut out a slot piece of what's remaining of that threaded rubber bumper, to be able to screw it into the recessed portion of the butt plate, and all you would see is a black piece that looks like a weight screw, but is actually what remains of the threaded bumper. Obviously the cue has to be heavy enough to not need a real weight screw. Should not be a problem.

After all is said and done, you have a rubber bumper inside the butt plate, but not extended past the butt plate. It will dampen the sound of the hit, which I think is what you are after.

All the best,
WW
That is what I was thinking, too, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

All the best,
WW
The threads are only 3/8 16 and barely half an inch deep . The body itself is 1" round . I dislike 1" big bumpers so I machine them down to 7/8.
But, after people breaking the threaded stem by pulling the bumper out and not spinning it, I don't use them anymore .

It would be easy to countersink a 7/8 or 1" rubber and gluing it .

I've made canvas phenolic "bumper" for two people who did not like rubber bumpers .
They were pretty much indestructible .

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The threads are only 3/8 16 and barely half an inch deep . The body itself is 1" round . I dislike 1" big bumpers so I machine them down to 7/8.
But, after people breaking the threaded stem by pulling the bumper out and not spinning it, I don't use them anymore .

It would be easy to countersink a 7/8 or 1" rubber and gluing it .

I've made canvas phenolic "bumper" for two people who did not like rubber bumpers .
They were pretty much indestructible .
Yep, the bumper I'm talking about is what you describe. However it goes into the butt sleeve plenty deep, and as long as you don't just pull it out, it's fine. I don't think Hawaiian Eye is looking for more weight. I think he's looking for a rubber piece that would into the butt sleeve and absorb some of the sound, like the bumper does normally. As you say, the material, or other material, could be machined and threaded differently to suit the purpose.

All the best,
WW