Cue Shaft Wax - Will good old car wax work

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Works just as well as Renaissance. And you get 7 times more for the same price.

TA8tO3U.png

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hello ,

I just used my last bit of Q -wax and I was wondering if just plain old carnuba wax would work , Car wax. I have also seen some with Brazilian wax. Would it do the same job or does Q -wax have something in it for Wood that makes it special. Also I have Johnson's paste wax for Wood , But I do not like the smell . I like to seal the shafts with a coat of it when i am done cleaning the shafts. What do you guys like to use . Thanks
It will work. The thing with some car wax and carnuba is that it can get tacky eventually. It's a good finish but in high humidity you can tell the difference. No big deal really. If you want a great wax, smooth as glass, and doesn't get tacky from sweat or humidity get Renaissance Wax. It's great stuff and a tin of it will last the rest of our lifetimes unless you're a cue maker.

IMO the treatment from R wax lasts longer than carnuba too, meaning you'll have to wax it less often.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I sprung years ago for a 2oz Can of Q-Wax, got from buddy who was trunk merchant. 7 years later can is sill useable and was like four bucks.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Car wax will make it shine but probably won't make it slick like a cue wax will.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RainX, the stuff for coating car windshields, works fantastic on shafts. Rub on a tiny amount with a rag to a clean shaft and burnish it in till it heats up a bit. Gives you a super slick shaft with a protective shine like a thin coat of wax but slicker. I suspect there’s silicon in it but don’t think that’s bad for wood. Probably good on graphite too though haven’t tried it.

dquarasr

Registered
It will work. The thing with some car wax and carnuba is that it can get tacky eventually. It's a good finish but in high humidity you can tell the difference. No big deal really. If you want a great wax, smooth as glass, and doesn't get tacky from sweat or humidity get Renaissance Wax. It's great stuff and a tin of it will last the rest of our lifetimes unless you're a cue maker.

IMO the treatment from R wax lasts longer than carnuba too, meaning you'll have to wax it less often.
I experienced this in humid climate. I use Cue Silk.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I particularly dislike speaking poorly about AZB, but . . .
If AZB was a magazine, wouldn't it be conducting a scientific study comparing various shaft preparations and publishing the results in an article? We bangers can kick this cue wax can up and down these pages for months without resolving anything. In the end, all we will have is a compilation of opinions, and we all know the problem with opinions. Maybe such a study is something one of our resident scientists should take on. I would love to see objective data on both "slickness" and "durability". Another point raised here is whether the applications behave differently depending on environmental factors. It could very well be that what is good for New Orleans is not worth a damn in Denver.

Watcha think?

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I particularly dislike speaking poorly about AZB, but . . .
If AZB was a magazine, wouldn't it be conducting a scientific study comparing various shaft preparations and publishing the results in an article. We bangers can kick this cue wax can up and down these pages for months without resolving anything. In the end, all we will have is a compilation of opinions, and we all know the problem with opinions. Maybe such a study is something one of our resident scientists should take on. I would love to see objective data on both "slickness" and "durability". Another point raised here is whether the applications behave differently depending on environmental factors. It could very well be that what is good for New Orleans is not worth a damn in Denver.

Watcha think?
Go for it, I'd read it with great interest!

Hello ,

I just used my last bit of Q -wax and I was wondering if just plain old carnuba wax would work , Car wax. I have also seen some with Brazilian wax. Would it do the same job or does Q -wax have something in it for Wood that makes it special. Also I have Johnson's paste wax for Wood , But I do not like the smell . I like to seal the shafts with a coat of it when i am done cleaning the shafts. What do you guys like to use . Thanks
Johnson's Paste wax for furniture works great and one can will last a life time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have anyone had issues when cleaning a Keilwood shaft that the roasted color faded after cleaning? I did a bit of a cleanup on a very narrow ferrule to clean off some magic marker that was used on it to blacken it out, and the area under the ferrule that was also cleaned a bit with a magic eraser became a shade or two lighter, looks almost like a tan line.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto on Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish. If it's good enough for HM The Queen, it's good enough for me. I put that sh*t on everything!
Stuff works great BUT you better buff it soon after applying. If you let it set-up like regular wax it can be a biach to get off. As long as you use it right its the nuts.

Question, are you all limiting the wax application to just the cue shaft or also applying to the butt of the cue as well? Except for leather or linen grips obviously.

Hello ,

I have been using good old Johnson's Paste Wax for 50 years. One can will last a lifetime or you can share it with friends. It works GREAT!!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about outside the grip area on the cue butt? Or the grip if it's an unwrapped house cue?

Just picked up some of the Rennaissance Wax and wondering how far to go with it.
I have a matte rosewood sneaky that I tried siliconing and big mistake. I couldn't get enough traction to stroke anything. Since the synthetics are more of a shaft lubricant than preservative, I just apply to the shaft. Synthetic car polishes though, will shine TF out of anything glossy on the stick.

Renaissance apparently is a wood treatment and might be preferable on bare or unpoly'd wood.