Cue stolen at pool room - culprit found - what would you do?

Doctor_J

Registered
Just ban him, for good. His proclivity for thievery will land him in real trouble soon enough, and you and the pool hall do NOT want to be associated with "street justice".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been watching this off-n-on. One question, has anyone had a little "face-2-face" time with the maggot in question? What he really deserves would probably put the wrong person in jail. Too bad. Asswipe needs a beat-down.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
a little more clarification is in order.

the cue thief does live nearby but was not recognized as someone who comes to the pool room so no league or similar to bar him from.

I know he is not welcome to come there anymore but since no one recognized him as coming there before, that won't be impactful.

I do like previous suggestions that his picture be posted prominently as a thief but that would be the room owner's call.

best,
brian kc

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
At a minimum, and with the room owner's concurrence, he should be banned from the room for a year or three.

Lou Figueroa
That's what we do, and post a picture of the guy in the room indicating the cue thief had been banned until x/y/zz date. They NEVER come back as the Scarlet Letter of being a cue thief is more than they can handle.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk Pro

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twenty nine years in the criminal justice system and I can guarantee you at age 20 this is not the first, nor will it be the last time this asshole ripped someone off. Very likely other cues too. Because they like to stick with what they know.

I can't believe all the "let him go, give him a break" comments. Trust me on this. This kid has been getting "breaks" for many years. Many years.

The only reason someone "new" pops up on the police radar screen is either they just moved into town or their juvenile record is sealed. Run the mug shot pass a senior juvenile detective, and they say, "Oh yeah, I first arrested little Johnny when he was eight"

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twenty nine years in the criminal justice system and I can guarantee you at age 20 this is not the first, nor will it be the last time this asshole ripped someone off. Very likely other cues too. Because they like to stick with what they know.

I can't believe all the "let him go, give him a break" comments. Trust me on this. This kid has been getting "breaks" for many years. Many years.

The only reason someone "new" pops up on the police radar screen is either they just moved into town or their juvenile record is sealed. Run the mug shot pass a senior juvenile detective, and they say, "Oh yeah, I first arrested little Johnny when he was eight"

THIS! Give him a break, are you kidding? Put up a picture, really? Thieves suck and will keep stealing until they get dealt with in a way that makes them pay.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my heart I would want to really punish him. But in real practice (based on the fact I would be the one being sued and going to jail).

Call the police and press charges. It's a felony (Grand Theft at least with my cues). And the owner should ban him for life as well as distribute his info around the other rooms in the surrounding area and states (like the Tri State area for example). He should be "Black Balled" everywhere...

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
nope

Two choices, press charges or street justice. How the hell will the boy learn if one of these two are aren't done?

street justice - sounds like u know some gangstalkers. Too bad 4 u. Press charges would be my answer - and bar him from pool room for 10 yrs. Come on down to my boat (back alley) and u will be severly' disappointed - ghost ball. Street justice can get way out of hand, usually carried out from cowards and their team of irresponsible cowards. You just made it to MY office ghost snail. I ain't afraid of no ghost like u either.

Last edited:

Kathy Keegan

Registered
My playing cue was stolen 12 years ago, by my so-called boyfriend. Custom, butt was tulip wood in front, with a darker grain swirl off the wrap, rosewood bottom of butt. My name as you see it on this post was embedded in clear plastic of some sort on one side of the base of the butt, maker's name opposite side. I had commissioned the cue at Baker's Billiards in Tampa, the usual cue maker had just learned he was dying of lung cancer and this cue was the first one the new guy made. I even did some of the lathe turns on the shaft. Then, they barred me from the shop and finished it. They surprised me with it when it was ready for me. Refused to let me finish payment. I had made a down payment when I commissioned it. I got to work that evening with it in an old sleeve case. I worked at T R McIntosh's room, Hot Shots, on Fowler in Tampa. T R was there, it was just before Xmas. Many local players were there. Jay Flowers, the case maker, was there. I walked in, said hi to everyone, shoved the cue down behind the ball counter and counted the register. Got done, looked around and saw a case on the players table. Everyone grinned. It was a Flowers case, black, with my name in white on the name side. I cried. Jay presented me with the case. I placed my new cue inside. Friends are great. Ex boyfriends that steal from you aren't.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
My playing cue was stolen 12 years ago, by my so-called boyfriend. Custom, butt was tulip wood in front, with a darker grain swirl off the wrap, rosewood bottom of butt. My name as you see it on this post was embedded in clear plastic of some sort on one side of the base of the butt, maker's name opposite side. I had commissioned the cue at Baker's Billiards in Tampa, the usual cue maker had just learned he was dying of lung cancer and this cue was the first one the new guy made. I even did some of the lathe turns on the shaft. Then, they barred me from the shop and finished it. They surprised me with it when it was ready for me. Refused to let me finish payment. I had made a down payment when I commissioned it. I got to work that evening with it in an old sleeve case. I worked at T R McIntosh's room, Hot Shots, on Fowler in Tampa. T R was there, it was just before Xmas. Many local players were there. Jay Flowers, the case maker, was there. I walked in, said hi to everyone, shoved the cue down behind the ball counter and counted the register. Got done, looked around and saw a case on the players table. Everyone grinned. It was a Flowers case, black, with my name in white on the name side. I cried. Jay presented me with the case. I placed my new cue inside. Friends are great. Ex boyfriends that steal from you aren't.

When I was 19 or so, TR would stake me at the Varsity once in a while in really *low-amp* games. He said I was "good for action". I always appreciated that. I was probably the *lowest-end* game he ever staked. That's back when Steve Cook and Buddy were both around all the time so TR was pretty busy with both of them. Anytime TR was around, there was action, as I'm sure you already know. He was really good for the game back then.

Was Rocky the cue-maker you were referring to? I bought a beautiful plain-jane from him at Bakers at a Citrus Open in early 76. I loved that cue. And, yeah, someone stole it. I've only had 2 cues stolen from me and I bought both of them at Bakers. A Meucci and that Tillis.