Cue Storage

Nineballchamp

Certified Cue Addict
Silver Member
I've searched the forums without a clear answer. Do you store your cues laying flat or up right? All my cues are stored in Ron Thomas cases but I want to make sure the laying them flat for years is correct. Your thought?

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Both answers are given on a regular basis. I'm a fan of vertical or hanging storage for a simple reason: If your shaft has a pro taper then even when you lay it flat there is a gap under it from the taper. Over time that gap, which has no support, will sag just like leaning it in a corner (which would be the worst thing you could do).

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Invest in a vertical hanger. I don't store any cues in cases, they're use purely to tansport them.

If your cue has a conical taper I'm sure you could get away with it layed flat.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I just keep mine in a case (I have many, from It's George to Instroke) standing up, but the kicker is security....I then put them behind these bad boys cue stroage.jpg

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Tascarella told me to store my balabushka (before it was sold) upright on an interior wall. That's gotta be a credible source of advice on this matter.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
dealer

I store all of my cues in cue cases vertical.

long term I would fill a sock with kitty litter or rice and put it in side the case with the shafts,

MMike

sfmc-x1

I Sell Out.
Silver Member
In rigid tube cases vertical.
In soft thick padded interior type cases, flat on a shelf.

I don't like the hardened foam formed interiors of the old Porper brand cases.

Cheers.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Good question.

Let me refer to the way cues are stored by the wholesalers. In boxes and bins laying horizontally. Cues are packed in boxes and when they get to the warehouse some are taken out and put into bins or on shelves.

My thought on this is that there is no epidemic of cues warping under these conditions otherwise the wholesalers would have figured out other ways to store the merchandise. I have picked out boxes with years of dust on them and inspected the cues inside to find them all to be straight.

I personally think that no one has a definite answer on this because no one has undertaken a comprehensive study of storage of cues to see what happens under different conditions.

My thoughts are that well made cues hold up and poorly made cues do not. Generally storing them in a rack inside your house should be fine, in a case standing up should be fine, in a case laying down should be fine.

I am not an engineer but it seems to me that there is enough tension in the taper of a cue to keep it from warping by gravity alone. As in lay a shaft on a flat surface with it supported by the ferrule and the lower 6" or so and I do not believe that the shaft will sag from gravitational pull. However if you want to be sure then keep the cues vertical. Most of the top cue makers do hang their cues throughout the building phase. But one does not as far as I remember and they enjoy a sterling reputation for their cues.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
All I need know is when I go to Ernie's shop all the shafts in various stages of progress are stored vertically.

Store in case, vertical, and as mentioned if it's against a wall it should be an interior wall.