Cue Tip Contact Myth-Busting Truths in Super Slow Motion

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the new video that I think addresses pretty much all questions and arguments brought up in this thread. Check it out:

The new video presents a simple test that anybody can easily do on their own to compare any tips of interest. I first cover all effects associated with using tips of different hardness. I then show careful tests to compare functional performance of tips over a wide range of hardness including a Victory Soft, a medium-hardness Tiger Sniper, and a hard phenolic-like BK Hybrid.

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:45 - “Hit” Differences
1:59 - Energy Transfer
3:13 - Sidespin Persistence
3:59 - Drag Effects
5:27 - Cue Elevation Effects
7:05 - CB Deflection
8:06 - Max Spin at Fast Speed
11:14 - Max Spin at Slow Speed
13:01 - Wrap Up

Enjoy!

Do any of the previous Myth Believers have any comments or questions about the new video?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have gotten a ton of comments and questions on YouTube. For those interested, here are my replies to the most frequent comments/questions:

You need to use a machine to do the tests!
I designed the tests at the end of the video so stroke consistency doesn't matter. If you push the miscue limit and take enough attempts, you will eventually get maximum spin, regardless of how good or bad a player you are.

Also testing machine results are not always very good. For more info, see:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/squirt/robot-test-results/

But what about draw?
The action of he hit with bottom spin is no different than the action of the hit with sidespin. What is different with a draw shots, is more speed is often required. Because a harder tip has a slightly better hit efficiency (energy transfer), a harder tip will offer a slight added advantage over a softer tip, where slightly more CB speed will retain slightly more backspin on the way to the OB. But getting good draw is more about stroke technique than equipment. See:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/draw/advice-and-drills/

Then why do some people miscue more with hard tips?
A softer tip tends to hold chalk better than a harder tip (especially a phenolic tip), so if one does not chalk properly or carefully, a soft tip might offer an advantage. However, a hard tip does offer advantages per the info here:
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue-tip/hardness/

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't tell from that screen shot but he might be trying to be sure a screw on tip is on tight or trying to break one loose too. Snooker players have no aversion to screw on tips and top players are sometimes using them.

Hu

How_to_Spot_Fake_News.jpg

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Familiar with Robben Ford?
Saw him live back in the 70s (before his tone became so synthesized) when he was still playing traditional blues mostly, and again in the early 90s, when I managed to buttonhole him on his way back from the john to chat about equipment/guitars. He was a cocky squirt, but also an incredibly talented player, who just keeps getting better.

Pubo

One good reason is that it damages the cue ball. Technically, it is against the equipment specs. Another good reason is that many phenolic tips don't hold chalk very well.
I know back in 2000's BCA banned the use of phenolic tip on playing shafts. But aren't balls themselves made by phenolic resin? If the collisions between balls won't do much damage, why should a phenolic tip damage the ball? So I'm guessing the phenolic tip is even harder than the materials balls are made of.

Pubo

If the tip holds chalk well, and can get maximum spin on the ball (close to the miscue limit), and doesn't damage the CB, and you don't mind the added hit efficiency (energy transfer), and you don't mind the sound and feel of the hit, it could be a good choice. It will certainly last a long time and won't need to be maintained or changed often (if at all). I like the idea.

PS: Stay tuned for my follow-up video, which I hope to post soon. My BK Rush cue with a phenolic-like BK Hybrid tip performs just as well as the soft and medium hardness tips I tested.
I like how you are using more and more modifying clauses on the phenolic tip to avoid potential comments haha.:ROFLMAO:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stevie was a pretty chilled out guy.. I doubt he'd care. He beat the Fock out of his guitars
Funny how that is. When you finally find that ‘perfect’ guitar, that fits you like a glove, you might abuse it, but also likely defend it with your life (like some married guys & their wives😁). I have a cheap/beat guitar that isn’t worth much, but am so in love with it’s tone, if it needed a major repair, I would drive it across the country rather than trust it to a shipper (and likely then get a room nearby until it was finished).

dendweller

Saw him live back in the 70s (before his tone became so synthesized) when he was still playing traditional blues mostly, and again in the early 90s, when I managed to buttonhole him on his way back from the john to chat about equipment/guitars. He was a cocky squirt, but also an incredibly talented player, who just keeps getting better.
I heard him in the 70's playing for LA Express backing up Joni Mitchell, but I'm sure he's kept the blues thing going. Not sure about the sound being synthesized but everyone's got an opinion.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am shocked to see no comments/questions/complaints from the people who were so "vocal" in this thread for so long.

Should I assume the new video put all questions and disagreements to rest?

Speaking just for moi, I just got tired of the oft repeated condensing admonishments to click on and read through everything on the tip hardness resource page (mit da supporting info and links), so I just tuned out of the discussion.

Just taking a quick look between margaritas I’d have to say I remain unconvinced.

Lou Figueroa

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just taking a quick look between margaritas I’d have to say I remain unconvinced.

Please let us know after you watch the whole thing in a sober state. And if you are really motivated, try the tests at the end of the video with any cues/tips you might have access to. It doesn't take long.

chenjy9

A better way to convince the skeptics might be to provide the following data for your test:
  • Spin rate of cue ball
  • Acceleration of cue
  • Acceleration of cue ball when struck
This way they will not be able to argue that more spin is being imparted.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Dave the test shows max results.... wich is great. But wich setup do you FEEL was easiest to achieve consistent good maximum spin for you?

I ask because u didn't show all attempts just the most consistent ones.

CERTAINLY you have a preference for wich is more consistent. Obviously your not as comfortable with the breaker. Otherwise everyone would just play the whole game with a break cue

How many shots did u take with each how many times u miscue with each. Wich one had most consistent attempts?attempts? Was the breaker always your last attempt? If so your already warmed up .

Ps I like hard tips. (I can play with anything though) I played with extra hard "sumo" water buffalo tips for years. Tip guy would cus me because they dulled his tools. (Unfortunately there's no stock of these tips available anymore. So ive settled on slightley pressed triangle and lepros and retip my own.)

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the “soft tips impart more spin“ argument could work like this: Because softer tips hold chalk better, and therefore miscue less often, you can confidently get further out to the side of the cue ball, and therefore get more spin.