Cue Too Long?

Ericchen0121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 5' 8" and use a 59" cue (jacoby +314). Lately I've felt that the cue is too long for me. I feel that my grip for a comfortable stroke is at the very top end of the shaft, and sometimes, I just want to grip on the forearm instead.

The weighting of the cue, of course, doesn't really jive with this.

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS?

I know cues usually are 58", but I really feel like my cue should be 4" shorter for ideal size. ... Is this even possible?

-Consider this: the "Trouble Shooter" - a cue made for different sizes for differnt heights of kids has a 52" cue for people that are 5'-5'9". Technically, I'd be using the 52" trouble shooter. I think that 52" is way pushing it, but I really think I could benefit from a 55" cue or something.

Let me know. This has really been bothering me of late,
Eric

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ericchen0121 said:
I'm 5' 8" and use a 59" cue (jacoby +314). Lately I've felt that the cue is too long for me. I feel that my grip for a comfortable stroke is at the very top end of the shaft, and sometimes, I just want to grip on the forearm instead.

The weighting of the cue, of course, doesn't really jive with this.

WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS?

I know cues usually are 58", but I really feel like my cue should be 4" shorter for ideal size. ... Is this even possible?

-Consider this: the "Trouble Shooter" - a cue made for different sizes for differnt heights of kids has a 52" cue for people that are 5'-5'9". Technically, I'd be using the 52" trouble shooter. I think that 52" is way pushing it, but I really think I could benefit from a 55" cue or something.

Let me know. This has really been bothering me of late,
Eric

An inch in cue length makes a big difference. 59" very well may be to long for you and maybe 58 may be slightly to long for your height but not much, if any. If you need a much shorter cue than that then I believe you probably need a few lessons from an instructor as it sounds as though there is something askew in your basics. Try using a house cue and see how it feels as they are usually 57".

Dick

despotic931

Mr. Felson's my dad...
Silver Member
I personally am 5'7" and shoot with a standard 58" cue and wouldnt be able to stand anything shorter than a 57" house cue, I have actually shot with a 59" cue and found it rather comfortable. I think it has a lot to do with an individuals stroke, and also the actuall balance point of the cue...

Ericchen0121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
57" cue then?

I think you're right with the 1" difference, i think I got carried away with the 55" cue idea.

I play lights out with house cues. And then, when I shoot with my cue, it feels a bit funny, as I feel the balance is all wrong, and the cue is too long.

So, if those house cues are usually 57", I like those.

What do you think I should do? ... can I get this cue shortened, as I love it... or should I be looking for a new cue?

I've been thinking bout a sneaky pete for awhile, and I think that's because of how comfortable I feel with a house cue. I want low deflection, but I like the feel of the one piece, and the weight and size I guess make a big difference.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
rhncue said:
An inch in cue length makes a big difference. 59" very well may be to long for you and maybe 58 may be slightly to long for your height but not much, if any. If you need a much shorter cue than that then I believe you probably need a few lessons from an instructor as it sounds as though there is something askew in your basics. Try using a house cue and see how it feels as they are usually 57".

Dick

I've played with house cues, broken cues, snooker cues, 30" shafts, and I've played entire games with my jump cue. The only time I felt extremely uncomfortable was playing with the jump cue. At 5'8" there should be no problem with a 58" cue. I'm 5'7" and I played well when I put the 30" shaft on my cue. I just choked up a little and it felt fine.

I definitely think there's some kind of issue here with your stance.

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
You can have your current shaft shortened an inch as long as it is solid wood, any decent cue man should be able to do it. If you have a predator or other laminated shaft, you will remove any low deflection benefit they have, if it is even possible. I know you can have the ferrules replaced on those, but I don't know what happens when you shorten them.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Jimmy Reid used to have an article on his website about cue length. Either it is not there or I just can't find it because his website seems so screwed up now. At any rate, he suggested everybody is playing with a cue too long. He had a formula there to figure out what you should used based upon wingspan.
I'm about 5' 9 or 10 and a little bit longer than normal arms and his formula came out to 57 inches for me. I don't think I could play as well with a 57" cue though.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Well

if the cue was 63" long, your plea for a shorter cue would make more sense.
One inch isn't going to make that big a difference. It probably has more to do with your stance and how you are holding the cue than anything.

And your bridge hand should be 6" (minimum) to 10" in back of the tip. When in doubt about your grip hand, take an old school tip, and balance the cue on your finger, then go halfway towards the butt end and grip it there. That is a good weather vane to use, you may end up adjusting an inch either way.

BTW >> I am 5'7" and have no problems with a 58" cue.

For what it is worth:

1) Learning from a good instructor is like starting out on a trip to California with a GPS system.
2) Learning from books, video is like starting out with various state maps.
3) Learning by just playing is like starting out by driving West.

Now, which one will get you to your destination first?

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ericchen0121 said:
I think you're right with the 1" difference, i think I got carried away with the 55" cue idea.

I play lights out with house cues. And then, when I shoot with my cue, it feels a bit funny, as I feel the balance is all wrong, and the cue is too long.

So, if those house cues are usually 57", I like those.

What do you think I should do? ... can I get this cue shortened, as I love it... or should I be looking for a new cue?

I've been thinking bout a sneaky pete for awhile, and I think that's because of how comfortable I feel with a house cue. I want low deflection, but I like the feel of the one piece, and the weight and size I guess make a big difference.

this question is both more complicated, and more important than
meets the eye.

The sound byte answer is:
The best length for you is the best length for you.

not all 5' 8" people are identical, your arms and legs may be shorter
than others who are the same height

FWIW, Jack Colivita, a working stiff who played 14.1 about a half-step
below world class, used a Bushka that was 56 inches.
He was about the same height as you.

The single most important factor is how you stand.
other things being equal, the lower you have your head, the farther
back your grip hand will be - the higher your head, the farther
forward, so the shorter a cue you can feel comfortable with.

Balance<weight distribution - NOT 'balance point'> also affects
what feels better to you

By all means, if a 57 in cue, or even shorter works, best for you,
that is the length you should use.
That should not be taken as an indication the is any problem
with your stance

keep in mind, all those millionaire Brit Snooker stars, most of whom
shoot with their heads so low the cue almost rubs against their chins,
use cues about 56 inches long

Dale

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
The traditional rough guide for snooker cues is that if it is level with your shoulder when you are stood up straight, it should be about right for you. Unless you can scratch your knees without bending. Mine is about 60". Which is quite handy if I ever forget my cue.

Boro Nut

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
buy the best cue that suits you or had 'em customized. mine were all customized. just need to select the tip which I prefer.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
I would get a 58" cue and learn to deal with it. There is absolutely no reason to shorten a cue.

Handsumm

Banned
seymore15074 said:
I would get a 58" cue and learn to deal with it. There is absolutely no reason to shorten a cue.
That is a ridiculous generalization.

I believe everyone should find the perfect wieght and balance with teir cues and a lot of it has to do with length. When a golfer goes in to buy clubs, he gets fitted. Why not have a cue made for your personal requirements?

On that note, I think you should do one of two things:

1) have a cuemaker take off an inch of your shaft and have it turned down, or

2) have a custom sneaky pete made to your liking for length, weight, and thickness.

#2 is probably best

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=52518&highlight=custom+fitting

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
I see how many can disagree with me, but I know guys that are both tall and not and they can sport a regular cue just fine...there has to be a flaw in form, somewhere; that is the only way I see it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I would be real leery of going below 57". I'm 5'8" and shoot with 58" and I "snooker low" to the cue. I'm good with a reach and still avoid it. I can say that you'll miss the extra 5" of operational distance down table you lose.

Nick

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seymore, it's not a matter on who can handle a particular cue but a matter of which cue is much more comfortable or much preferred by a pool player. I for one, can sport any sized cue just fine, but regardless of that, I still choose a cue size which is much more comfortable to my arm or doesn't distract or gives me much effort. sometimes I got out of stroke for using other cues other than mine.

HittMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue length-custom equipment

Let's all reflect back on a couple of sports that have been relolutionized by customizing the equipment used to play the game. Who would want to (or be able to) compete on the golf course with ash shafts and persimmon heads? The answer is no one...then apply the same to tennis.
Seems to me...making changes to your equuipment to fit your needs is as fundamental as being able to adapt to changing conditions during the game.
It is possible there is something in your body mechanics causing you to be uncomfortable with standard equipment. At your height, I can confidently say that a std length (57' -58") cue should work for you just fine. Don't be afraid to experiment but don't be too hard headed to watch other successful players and imitate their body mechanics. I don't think every person needs to re-invent the wheel on their way to becoming a champion. You may be special, but I suspect if you can learn from the collective a known body of knowledge (to which you may possibly contribute meaningfully in the future) you will play better, faster and with greater chances of long term success.
just my opinion...you be the judge.
Andy Bruce

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ericchen0121 said:
... Let me know. This has really been bothering me of late,
Eric
I heard that Earl said something that applies here: All the stick behind your grip hand is wasted. (or something to that effect) If you never find yourself gripping the stick at the very end -- by the bumper -- then the stick is longer than it needs to be.

Of course you have to consider whether you should be using a 30-inch bridge for your stretch shots or moving to a mechanical bridge. On league nights, I see some players who are 5-foot-nothing playing with 60- or 62-inch cues. I think they should learn to use the mechanical bridge and/or shoot with the other hand.

For a few extreme shots, you can always get a slip-on cue extender. Several companies sell them including Longoni.

I'm using a 56-inch cue right now, and I find it fits me much better than a 58-inch cue.