Cues being made at Bensinger’s, Chicago?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Original owner says he had it made at Bensinger’s over 60 years ago, but maybe he meant ordered.

Anyone know if cues were being made in-house, or who’s stuff they were selling?

Maybe you just know what it is.

Brunswick vs. Katz can be confusing, and then there are the others.

Thanks

E2A4D526-4407-4B01-A16F-257E56DD90FB.jpeg
B87D15A3-3CAF-4D1E-9492-99DA4FE276D5.jpeg
EDA3D832-4E14-4C6B-B777-BAB182A37C58.jpeg
44392843-AED4-4DB3-A3BA-D37A86D78453.jpeg
6ACA18A6-75CF-4D0C-A834-0F3050D33640.jpeg
C1391558-AC6C-42B5-BF46-C443A2C6EB49.jpeg
EE34D43F-DCED-46BB-8938-C8DD7759FBB4.jpeg
7993F757-B75A-4121-9908-BC143D24C3FB.jpeg

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'm an alumni of Bensingers since 1963, I can tell you with 99% certainty this cue was NEVER made at Bensingers 60 years ago.

They had no cue repair/builder on site! They sent all work orders out to, Herman Rambow on Wabash st. in downtown Chicago.

Lastly, I believe this is an old style, 'Carom' cue for 3 cushion made in the, 40's-50's.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an alumni of Bensingers since 1963, I can tell you with 99% certainty this cue was NEVER made at Bensingers 60 years ago.

They had no cue repair/builder on site! They sent all work orders out to, Herman Rambow on Wabash st. in downtown Chicago.

Lastly, I believe this is an old style, 'Carom' cue for 3 cushion made in the, 40's-50's.
Thanks.

I posted it because I was very skeptical of what the gentleman was remembering.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt very much that cue was actually made inside a pool hall.
Me too.

I typically post these these cue threads when the previous owner’s story doesn’t seem to make sense, or when my thought process behind buying a cue breaks down.

It helps to hear the thoughts of others.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't a Brunswick or a Katz
Schaefer, Victor, Schmidt?

I guess I just need to hear from someone else that Rambow had nothing to do with it.

BTW, I bought another caliper on eBay and they quoted me a delivery date of July 23.

I’ll order a third and get those shaft measurements to you?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Schaefer, Victor, Schmidt?

I guess I just need to hear from someone else that Rambow had nothing to do with it.

BTW, I bought another caliper on eBay and they quoted me a delivery date of July 23.

I’ll order a third and get those shaft measurements to you?
Rambow had nothing to do with it. It's an AE Schmidt (or was sold as one). These cues were sold by a few different catalogs. Brunswick didn't make it.

It's 100% a catalog cue and not a custom

For calipers, just go buy a decent set at Harbor Freight for $25 and be done with it, the eBay sets for $6 are trash

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rambow had nothing to do with it. It's an AE Schmidt (or was sold as one). These cues were sold by a few different catalogs. Brunswick didn't make it.

It's 100% a catalog cue and not a custom

For calipers, just go buy a decent set at Harbor Freight for $25 and be done with it, the eBay sets for $6 are trash
Thanks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top of those butterfly splices touching the butt joint collar are not something a custom maker would normally construct.