Cues with bigger handle diameter

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
What cue brands tend to have bigger handle diameters, around 27mm at the handle's midpoint? I ask because my vintage Viking's 27mm diameter feels right to me. My other cue, a current-model Schmelke, feels uncomfortably small to me with its 24.5mm diameter. I'm thinking about getting another production cue, preferably 70s-80s vintage, and want something with a diameter like my Viking. Is it a matter of certain brands having certain diameters? Or did vintage cues tend to be thicker?

By the way, I know a custom maker can build a cue to my specified diameter. I'm looking for a vintage production cue.

Thanks!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a consistent taper from tip to butt cap. With a long taper shaft, this leads to a thinner butt.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My favorite snooker cue…29 mm where I held it…swelled to 31 mm last four inches.…..my ‘68 Joss is about 2 mm thicker all the way.
……the thicker butt gives you a softer hit.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My favorite snooker cue…29 mm where I held it…swelled to 31 mm last four inches.…..my ‘68 Joss is about 2 mm thicker all the way.
……the thicker butt gives you a softer hit.
My chubbiest Masterstroke is a bit over 34 midway through the handle.😁

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
andy gilbert prefers thicker butts. most cuemakers these days are around 1.25" at the big end.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
As I'm looking online, how can I narrow down my search? Should I look for certain brands, or certain eras? Or is it on a cue-by-cue basis, meaning I'll need to ask for the handle diameter of each cue I'm interested in? At this point, I know only that a Viking from the 89-92 catalog should be a good fit, and that a current-model Schmelke probably won't. I also had a vintage Huebler that felt right.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I'm looking online, how can I narrow down my search? Should I look for certain brands, or certain eras? Or is it on a cue-by-cue basis, meaning I'll need to ask for the handle diameter of each cue I'm interested in? At this point, I know only that a Viking from the 89-92 catalog should be a good fit, and that a current-model Schmelke probably won't. I also had a vintage Huebler that felt right.
older cues all had fatter butts. don't know exactly when trend to smaller sizes took off, probably within last 20yrs or so. you need to just have the size checked when shopping for one.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a vintage production with handle diameter similar to your Viking - look for a Vintage Excalibur cue from 80s into 90s - these were made by Viking and have the thick handles - I own one and the handle is thicker than any cue that I have encountered built since 2000. You must find the older USA made Excalibur cues - - not the current Chinese models,

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My old C series had a larger handle, almost as fat as my 80's Viking. I picked up a Julio Strambolini by Adam that has a nice fatter handle.

Older cues tend to be thicker, such as Palmers.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like skinny call Bob Owen. Shurtz/Owen cues have had skinnier butts for years. He'll make any size but his standard stuff is smaller than usual. Probably in the 1.22-1.24" range. I've seen them as small as 1.19-1.20

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
If you need a larger diameter handle, try a silicone sleeve. It also adds some grip.
When I was riding out to far south side Chicago for different competition, I'd stop at some Harley bars. I took note of some sticks had extra leather laced over their grips. Those were usually the BIG guys with REALLY BIG hands.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
older cues all had fatter butts. don't know exactly when trend to smaller sizes took off, probably within last 20yrs or so. you need to just have the size checked when shopping for one.
This is very true of the older style cues.the only way you will get something similar, Is to get one built to your specs. I should think most cuemakers will be able to do the 1.30 diameter. Another way, is get a conversion cue. By getting an old bar cue or a brunswick. I think, you might even find some dufferins at that size.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is very true of the older style cues.the only way you will get something similar, Is to get one built to your specs. I should think most cuemakers will be able to do the 1.30 diameter. Another way, is get a conversion cue. By getting an old bar cue or a brunswick. I think, you might even find some dufferins at that size.
Agreed. Duffs are fat butted.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Doc Frye is a blimp. It needs Jennie Craig. As for Duff's. I had 2 green leafs converted...one was sent to Proficient Billiards to re-do. Scott reduced the butt diameter and it's a player. The other was not reduced but a good player also...feels substantially thicker.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue brands tend to have bigger handle diameters, around 27mm at the handle's midpoint? I ask because my vintage Viking's 27mm diameter feels right to me. My other cue, a current-model Schmelke, feels uncomfortably small to me with its 24.5mm diameter. I'm thinking about getting another production cue, preferably 70s-80s vintage, and want something with a diameter like my Viking. Is it a matter of certain brands having certain diameters? Or did vintage cues tend to be thicker?

By the way, I know a custom maker can build a cue to my specified diameter. I'm looking for a vintage production cue.

Thanks!
LC3, Howdy;

I have this McDermott C-6, Grip thickness is from front to rear;
F: 27.4 mm
M: 30.2 mm
R: 31.8 mm
At front of Butt Cap: 33.0 mm
Hope that helps ya.

hank