Cushions increasing ball speed

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So,if you use the tool they use to rate the speed of greens in golf and you set it up to roll five feet on the table. If you put it 2 1/2 feet from the rail then it should travel less than 2 1/2 feet back,correct? On a diamond barbox how many would wager that it travels less than 2 1/2 feet after contacting the rail? I mean most of you claim its completely impossible,right? By your logic of loosing energy it should only travel what 1 1/2 feet?

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
wow, if this was true, when you broke the balls they would keep speeding up until they were all off the table or sombody got killed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So,if you use the tool they use to rate the speed of greens in golf and you set it up to roll five feet on the table. If you put it 2 1/2 feet from the rail then it should travel less than 2 1/2 feet back,correct? On a diamond barbox how many would wager that it travels less than 2 1/2 feet after contacting the rail? I mean most of you claim its completely impossible,right? By your logic of loosing energy it should only travel what 1 1/2 feet?

That would depend on how much YOU are willing to bet;) now where is Mr. Green's responce to where this table is located?:D

Glen

Tom M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Dr Dave or Bob J chime in that would be good, but I'm sure the answer will be something like:

The rails are not adding speed to the cue ball, rather the rails are giving back more than other tables that these players are used to.
Otherwise, couldn't a player could hit a ball at medium firm speed straight up-and-down the table and watch forever while the ball never stopped, right?

You are correct. The best that can ever be achieved is for the ball to come off the rail at "almost" the same speed. Some energy is always going to be lost on the rebound.

Tom