Custom cue extension

Train1077

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fury has made a pretty cheap extension, but I think the handle is quite ugly. But the bumper is very smart.

I am thinking about buying this and installing the bumper on my cue. Then break the handle and get out the joint screw. Turn a piece of 10-12 inch bubinga and see if I can install the screw on it. The body of my cue is bubinga and I think it would make it look very good.

The thing is I don't want to ship my cue anywhere to get it done, and I don't know anyone else which has a premade bumper like this. I only have to cut and sand the bumper to fit into my existing cue.

Of course if someone could make the bubinga extension for me it would be great, but does anyone else offer extension with a premade bumper?

I would like to hear what you other cue-experts in here think about it??

Attachments

• furybumper.JPG
    furybumper.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,798
  • furybumper2.JPG
    furybumper2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,315

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its standard on snooker cues these days, i dont know why cue makers here don't get with the program, and just leave a threaded hole ( standardized ) in the bumper. It's not complicated. then a telescopic extension screws on to the back of the cue and your in business.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Warning about using hardwood for the extension, it may look nice but you may not be happy with it in actual use.

I had an extension for one of my old cues. The extension was made by a friend of mine that simply screwed into the but of my cue. The problem for me was the weight. Having an extension made of solid wood added a ton of weight. Wasn't a problem during the shot, but when I took it off the cue felt strange for several shots.

If your going to use an extension I recommend getting the absolute lightest possible. It may not look as pretty, but its only going to be on your cue for a very short period of time.

Woody

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its standard on snooker cues these days, i dont know why cue makers here don't get with the program, and just leave a threaded hole ( standardized ) in the bumper. It's not complicated. then a telescopic extension screws on to the back of the cue and your in business.

Totally agree. Would be a cool addition to a custom cue.

Train1077

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think a cuemaker could make a bumper like that and an extension? Any specific that I could write?

If I have to make it myself, I will definitely remember about the weight issue.

wawacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric

Cue maker in the USA do make the custom extension for their cue. Most of the time is the customer choice, sometimes being the price issue or maybe the customer didn't need it until all of sudden the market is full of new gaget of cue extension. I been ordering cues with matching set extension from different makers, Jake Hulsey made a set for me it was easy access and no issues at all.

wawacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think a cuemaker could make a bumper like that and an extension? Any specific that I could write?

If I have to make it myself, I will definitely remember about the weight issue.

Mezz make an screw in bumper for custom extensions but don't think this bumper is sold in the USA or Europe.
Cue maker can make it bumperless backend with an screw in section only if you requests what you want. as for weight issues, I never find any problem with it as you probably use the extension once in a while for that extra stretch only.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Warning about using hardwood for the extension, it may look nice but you may not be happy with it in actual use.

I had an extension for one of my old cues. The extension was made by a friend of mine that simply screwed into the but of my cue. The problem for me was the weight. Having an extension made of solid wood added a ton of weight. Wasn't a problem during the shot, but when I took it off the cue felt strange for several shots.

If your going to use an extension I recommend getting the absolute lightest possible. It may not look as pretty, but its only going to be on your cue for a very short period of time.

Woody

I made a BE maple & and Purpleheart extension for my cue. I cored it out and filled it with this stuff, I just didn't want it to be hollow.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100003...ping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100003351&ci_gpa=pla

It weighs 3.7 ounces It screws into the back of the cue. How I did this was to drill it for a standard 5/16x14 insert that is under the bumper and flush. The bumper has a hole I drilled through it. The bumper is only about 3/8 thick with 1/4 sticking out past the butt cap. I cut down the bumper and it is held in place with double faced carpet tape. I planed on using some Gorilla glue once I was sure I liked it but that is several years ago and the bumper hasn't fallen off yet.

I also used a very hard bumper with a flat bottom since the extension has to fasten down on the bumper. It is very solid. The way I did it it would be easy to use when making a new cue. You also use the same size weight screw as the insert so it just goes in under the insert. I will try to take a picture of it, it's pretty cool. The extension is also my jump cue.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a BE maple & and Purpleheart extension for my cue. I cored it out and filled it with this stuff, I just didn't want it to be hollow.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100003...ping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100003351&ci_gpa=pla

It weighs 3.7 ounces It screws into the back of the cue. How I did this was to drill it for a standard 5/16x14 insert that is under the bumper and flush. The bumper has a hole I drilled through it. The bumper is only about 3/8 thick with 1/4 sticking out past the butt cap. I cut down the bumper and it is held in place with double faced carpet tape. I planed on using some Gorilla glue once I was sure I liked it but that is several years ago and the bumper hasn't fallen off yet.

I also used a very hard bumper with a flat bottom since the extension has to fasten down on the bumper. It is very solid. The way I did it it would be easy to use when making a new cue. You also use the same size weight screw as the insert so it just goes in under the insert. I will try to take a picture of it, it's pretty cool. The extension is also my jump cue.
I pulled out the bumper to take a picture. Anybody with any ability to work on cues can do what I did to this cue it is done in such a simple way. I also cut a slot in the insert so I can remove it and get to the weight pin if I need to.

Attachments

• bumper.JPG
    bumper.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • bumper2.JPG
    bumper2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 950
Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw several of those in Ray Martins case once. He had several different lengths. I made some for myself once but kind of time consuming to put on the cue. It is definitely the most solid you can get though.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric

Cue maker in the USA do make the custom extension for their cue. Most of the time is the customer choice, sometimes being the price issue or maybe the customer didn't need it until all of sudden the market is full of new gaget of cue extension. I been ordering cues with matching set extension from different makers, Jake Hulsey made a set for me it was easy access and no issues at all.

your right some will, but its not the "standard" is by request. What i meant to be more clear is the manufactored cues, not production will introduce this so they can sell piles more cues. the Custom cue guys(not all of them) do it now. I have one being built for a player cue.