Danish Pin Billiards

Ticklishchap

Registered
Has anyone on the Forum played this version of Billiards. It looks interesting although I have only seen a few YouTube clips, but I’d like to know more about the rules.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume that is the same as the pin billiards that is played in Italy, Argentina and Uruguay. I have played it for an hour or two. There was a room in Las Vegas owned by a huge fan of the game and if you visited it was impossible not to play.

There are five or nine pins on the table. On your turn you get one shot. You try to drive the red ball through the pins which scores according to which you knock down. You try to leave the red where your opponent cannot hit it directly.

I believe the rules are on the UMB website. ..... Ah, here they are: http://files.umb-carom.org/Public/Rules/5Pin_Rules.pdf
Nine-pin isn't there, but I think five is enough.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think for most players, box billiards and "fifth billiard" will be at least as interesting. Bob Byrne describes them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't this also played in some Slavic (Russia area) countries?

It used to be quite popular in Russia. The game was normally played with 7 pins. Here’s the 2007 finals of the Russian Federation Cup -

I haven’t heard of this game played more recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets seem to have no function.
Pocketing or caroming a ball is worth 5 points (the pocketed ball is respotted). This is clearly trivial in a race to 1000 and is normally played to improve the position. By comparison, knocking down all 7 pins in a single shot is worth 200 points.

An interesting angle to this game is that you forfeit all of the points accumulated in the current inning if you commit a foul (which includes, in addition to the usual fouls, the knocking down of the pin with the cue ball or pocketing the cue ball). The forfeited points are added to your opponent’s score. You have to play safe to end the inning and add the points to your scoreboard.