DAZN petty charge

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I utilized DAZN again to watch the Mosconi Cup, then cancelled. Today there was a new $3.53 charge, so I contacted them. A new policy as of October, pretty petty. Here's their response: "Ok, I see. This charge is the pro rated amount for the 30 day notice period after your cancelation. When you cancel the subscription you start a 30 day notice period in which one last charge is done for an amount smaller then the normal monthly charge, After the 30 day are over, the subscription will go inactive and there will be no more charges. You can find out more about this 30 day notice policy in our terms and conditions https://www.dazn.com/en-US/help/articles/terms-us"

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
You entered an agreement and are being charged according to that contract. Not sure what the complaint is. Maybe DAZN should just up the fee for all users the $3.53 rather than only placing it on those looking for a one night stand...?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I utilized DAZN again to watch the Mosconi Cup, then cancelled. Today there was a new $3.53 charge, so I contacted them. A new policy as of October, pretty petty. Here's their response: "Ok, I see. This charge is the pro rated amount for the 30 day notice period after your cancelation. When you cancel the subscription you start a 30 day notice period in which one last charge is done for an amount smaller then the normal monthly charge, After the 30 day are over, the subscription will go inactive and there will be no more charges. You can find out more about this 30 day notice policy in our terms and conditions https://www.dazn.com/en-US/help/articles/terms-us"
Just another piss poor example of their business practices. The standard is that you subscribe and can cancel prior to a renewal. You might lose what all was already pre paid but it is over and done with through the end of that period (and access remains until that period is up). Instead they trying to act like you are renting an apartment on a 30 day rolling lease. LMFAO. BUT, you got to read those bs "terms" before clicking submit ;) Don't give them anymore business.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You entered an agreement and are being charged according to that contract. Not sure what the complaint is. Maybe DAZN should just up the fee for all users the $3.53 rather than only placing it on those looking for a one night stand...?
I think it is natural to assume that if you cancel your subscription a week into the month you bought, you have already paid all you have to pay. That's certainly what I assumed when I signed up for a month for the Mosconi Cup. Maybe their agreement also says that if you cancel a yearly subscription after 11 months you still have to pay to complete a year after cancellation. Personally, I don't read the fine print for most user agreements. I suspect less than 1% of customers do. I depend on social media to tell me which companies are scummy thugs.

Free info: Budget Rental Cars is one of those companies.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing the complaint is that no other streaming service does it this way so it was an unexpected surprise for the OP. It seems like a petty way to collect a few dollars from folks and certainly doesn't encourage warm fuzzy feelings from customers. But if you like Matchroom events, they have you by the short and curlies so there isn't much to be done other than to start your subscription a month in advance of the last date you need it and immediately cancel. That in and of itself demonstrates how screwy this policy is.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just checked my DAZN account. I thought I cancelled as soon as I made my 1-month subscription. It turns out I was still subscribed. Maybe I forgot to cancel at the time or maybe I didn't.

In cancelling just now, I found out it's a lot harder than it used to be. Confirmation emails, offers to just suspend your account rather than actually cancel, etc. I suspect the workers there were told to stop the bleeding and they are doing what they can.

Edit: Evidently you have to confirm your email before they will allow you cancel. I'm not sure whether I'm cancelled or not.

I think it is natural to assume that if you cancel your subscription a week into the month you bought, you have already paid all you have to pay. That's certainly what I assumed when I signed up for a month for the Mosconi Cup. Maybe their agreement also says that if you cancel a yearly subscription after 11 months you still have to pay to complete a year after cancellation. Personally, I don't read the fine print for most user agreements. I suspect less than 1% of customers do. I depend on social media to tell me which companies are scummy thugs.

Free info: Budget Rental Cars is one of those companies.
Isn't everything just on youtube anyway? Do we really need to watch it live? I could guess what happens anyway, "US gets schooled by a stacked European team made up of the best players of an entire continent."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just checked my payment history on my credit card. DAZN charged for a second month on Dec. 18. I guess I should check more often.

It seems that because I have paid for two months, they are not going to charge me the 30-day notice penalty. We'll see.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just checked my DAZN account. I thought I cancelled as soon as I made my 1-month subscription. It turns out I was still subscribed. Maybe I forgot to cancel at the time or maybe I didn't.

In cancelling just now, I found out it's a lot harder than it used to be. Confirmation emails, offers to just suspend your account rather than actually cancel, etc. I suspect the workers there were told to stop the bleeding and they are doing what they can.

Edit: Evidently you have to confirm your email before they will allow you cancel. I'm not sure whether I'm cancelled or not.
That’s why I didn’t watch this year, as long as the Mosconi Cup is on Dazn I guess I’ll miss it.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I wouldn't get upset for a charge that small. I keep my DAZN subscription so I can watch all the other Mathroom events.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Personally I wouldn't get upset for a charge that small. I keep my DAZN subscription so I can watch all the other Mathroom events.
It's not the amount of the charge, it's the scummy way DAZN is operating. It turns out that I will be charged for the full 30-day notice period. That means I will pay for an extra month and a half beyond the single month I wanted.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the amount of the charge, it's the scummy way DAZN is operating. It turns out that I will be charged for the full 30-day notice period. That means I will pay for an extra month and a half beyond the single month I wanted.
In your case I would understand since its another month.

Mobiker

Same here, and it's been easy to justify with all of the great events Matchroom promotes. However, they started some real BS this year. For a 5-day event, DAZN only shows the last two days, while Matchroom.live covers the first three days. Both are pay channels -- this is double-dipping!

I don't know if it's DAZN's choice not to carry the full event, or Matchroom trying to promote their channel, but I'm not going to pay for two services to watch one event. I'll probably drop DAZN if this continues.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Myself, I'd contact my CC company and discuss it with them. You shouldn't be held (up), responsible
for a charge you had no desire to incur. You'd be surprised how well you might enjoy the results.

hank

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Myself, I'd contact my CC company and discuss it with them. You shouldn't be held (up), responsible
for a charge you had no desire to incur. You'd be surprised how well you might enjoy the results.

hank
I'm sure that somewhere in the wall of agreement text were the details of exactly how the charges would be handled. I'm like a lot of people and don't read that stuff and just assume I'll be treated fairly. It's only about $30 so it's not worth dealing with for an unlikely return. In some sense, DAZN won. Edit: as Joe pointed out.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, Howdy;

To me every penny is precious in itself. Let the buggers have their way and
that's on you. me I worked to hard for every penny. I'll not allow them to have
1 of which they've NOT earned. Just the way I feel about it. YMMD.

hank