Dead Links: WPA World Pyramid Pool Championship

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Pyramid is a fun game.
It has the tightest pockets and biggest balls.

The joy from pyramid is pocketing because it happens less frequently. There is more anticipation and drama because of the free pyramid offense.

Its a good game for developing patience. Its important pool players get out to visit different rooms with different equipment.

Now that Europe controls nineball its time for Americans to control pyramid.
but what about the childrens 14.1 book with your butt buddy danny harriman?

• Haha
Reactions: ACL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pyramid is a fun game.

The joy from pyramid is pocketing because it happens less frequently. There is more anticipation and drama because of the free pyramid offense.

Its a good game for developing patience. Its important pool players get out to visit different rooms with different equipment.

America isn't going for it, fantasyland.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Any info on the origin of this game or when it was created? It looks to me like they just take a snooker table and make the pockets smaller.

I find it an interesting game that requires a different type of safety play than even 1pkt.
You are close with your guess I'd say. Czar Peter The Great introduced Russian people to billiards, bringing a game table from the Netherlands (during one of his famous trips around Europe). I'm too lazy to check for facts right now, but I think there was a game which later evolved to snooker, and in Russia it got its own unique style. I suppose there is still not enough historical evidence on how billiards developed in Russia, causing some wild and crazy theories at times (well, nobody is perfect, lol).

As for 1pkt, there is such a way to play Russian Pyramid (unofficial, i.e. used only for gambling purposes) where opponents are limited to 3 pockets each: one is assigned to two corners and a side pocket of the opposite rail, and the opponent gets the mirrored image. Of course it takes some skill to be able to play to three pockets only instead of six.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member

I am getting into Russian pyramid and plan to make a trip to a Russian billiard table to practice carom or kiss shots.

Wikipedia is showing past links have died for some champions.
It's much more simple than you look at it. The way Wiki works, the links in red don't mean these are past links which are "dead". They simply have never been created (players' bios, in this particular instance). And noboody cares (even the players themselves 😁), so why bother?

If ever you are serious enough about giving a try at a Pyramid table, I could give you some hints. The game is actually much easier than it looks, due to equipment specifics and the way they are utilized in-play. I bet any player of FargoRate 650+ can pocket an object ball on those tables as good as the majority of regulars. Top champions are another breed of course, but even then, get 780+ players and they are certain to match with them. And even better them, I dare say. It's that easy.
Please keep in mind though, that I don't frequent AZB forums as much as I used to, so if you decide to take some of my advice your learning curve is going to be pretty long over the distance 😌

telinoz

Registered
Pyramid is a fun game.

I was wondering at what point you would show your true intentions for this thread.

Now you have gone full Simple Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: ACL

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pyramid is a fun game.

Have you even played it before? you are delusional.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Boardwalk Billiards located in Brooklyn New York has amazing Russian tables.

Its located in Brighton Beach and has great options for dining in the area.

I couldn't believe they converted National from a catering hall to a shopping mall.

justnum

Silver Member
This thread returns high on google search when searching for names on the player list + billiards.

WPA should create a national registry for players to have some public persona. There are events happening in certain countries that can make it easy to forget players that compete on Russian tables. If they sanction events, the least they can do is make sure their names are remembered in records.

* I am referring to all players from the sanctioned Pyramid event. Not just the champions. A lot of history is being lost for other circumstances. WPA should bear responsibility for historical record keeping of its population.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
Have you even played it before? you are delusional.

how much do you want to gamble? If you duck and dodge on the next response I am ignoring you.
I played it before. I can do better than Corey in

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you can enlighten us anyway. Seems they hit everything at double banger speed. Is there a finesse game at all? Evgeny Stalev (the only one I can name) seemed to have a disdain for aiming and pounded everything. :D Is that really the only way to squeeze the ball in?
yes that’s the only way, as you say, to squeeze it in

you know snooker pockets are small
these are much much smaller

the balls are really bigger than the pockets

hit it in, fierce, rolling never works

Attachments

• D5250CD5-0706-4E74-913A-0FF7AC056B70.jpeg
    D5250CD5-0706-4E74-913A-0FF7AC056B70.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 38

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how much do you want to gamble? If you duck and dodge on the next response I am ignoring you.
I played it before. I can do better than Corey in
Dear fantasyland,

There is nothing you can do on a pool or billiard table that results from a legal shot better than Corey.
Screenshot_20221214-124539.jpg

justnum

Silver Member
Pyramid is easier to play. The bigger size balls makes miscueing impossible. The tighter pockets slow down play. To be good at pyramid you just need to know a few shots.

I plan to make more trips if anyone wants action in Brighton Beach. Post up. They also have a huge selection of Soviet branded food.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pyramid is easier to play. The bigger size balls makes miscueing impossible. The tighter pockets slow down play. To be good at pyramid you just need to know a few shots.

I plan to make more trips if anyone wants action in Brighton Beach. Post up. They also have a huge selection of Soviet branded food.

when you venture out of your basement to those russian establishments, make sure to introduce yourself properly:

добрый день. я здесь чтобы починить туалеты