Deciding between a couple of break tips

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to white diamond from sonic tip when jeff de luna let me compare his then mezz h shaft with mine. He had a white diamond on his and the stock sonic tip felt a bit hollow compared to the white diamond. I switched to hammerhead after because i found it gave a bit more power but a lot more control compared to the white diamond. The hammerhead actually felt a tad bit softer because you will feel a little “bite” or compression when you hit the cue ball but the power is there. Downside is you have to scuff it every now and then because it smoothens up quite abit after a few weeks of use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I've had a little issue with my Sonic tip causing very noticeable scratch lines on my cloth for about 12 inches just beyond the cue ball where I break from.
I don't think I follow through with the tip that pronounced down in to the cloth, but obviously it's bad enough to cause these unsightly scratch lines on our new Simonis cloth,
which I can't seem to remove, and it's hard to change my break follow-through technique after all these years.

Just curious if you've experienced either the White Diamond or Hammerhead tip causing the same types of apparently permanent scratch lines in the cloth if you follow through
with your tip in to the cloth on the break?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
On cyborg for me with a G10 ferrule, My experience is great with them and I have no cracking issues, also scuffs nice to make it hold chalk. G10 is to hard to get it to grab chalk IMHO, but if your looking for a cheaper hard material I recommend brown phenolic, scrapes nice to hold chalk and breaks real nice.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my 2 cents....

As far as tips for breaking... I think a good idea would be to check which of the pros have the best break... & see what they use... whether it be a phenolic tip or leather tip... it all boils down to what works BEST for the individual on their breaking of the balls/game... & what feels right for them...

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White Diamond here... like the feel when breaking... they're tricky
to put on. For me the super glues didn't work, popped off.
Per a cuemaker's suggestion, I put tiny indentations in the back,
and used white epoxy, solved. I can get the cue ball to pop straight
up on a 9 ball break.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Any competent cue repair person can grab a hard layered tip and soak it in epoxy.
That will make for a great break tip that is hard and will not damage cue balls .
And it will hold chalk.

These phenolic tips are getting out of hand.

Reactions: drv

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On cyborg for me with a G10 ferrule, My experience is great with them and I have no cracking issues, also scuffs nice to make it hold chalk. G10 is to hard to get it to grab chalk IMHO, but if your looking for a cheaper hard material I recommend brown phenolic, scrapes nice to hold chalk and breaks real nice.

One thing to be aware of with the exotic (non-leather) options is that some rooms/ tournaments dont allow them to be used on their equipment.

I learned this upon arrival, after a 4+hr drive to an event. And I was gonna win it too, before I no longer had a jumper or a breaker to use.

With me! Had a fine one at home that I would have brought, had that been noted on the flier!:mad:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to be aware of with the exotic (non-leather) options is that some rooms/ tournaments dont allow them to be used on their equipment.

I learned this upon arrival, after a 4+hr drive to an event. And I was gonna win it too, before I no longer had a jumper or a breaker to use.

With me! Had a fine one at home that I would have brought, had that been noted on the flier!:mad:
There is a reason for those rules for room owners who like to keep their tables/balls in top condition - some hard tips can cause permanent damage to cloth (on the break follow through of the cue/tip down in to the cloth, as well as imparting permanent half moon marks on the cue balls.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone has used the ON Cyborg, I wasn't able to find reviews. Mostly looking for opinions on whether to go with one made of leather or one of the plastic/phenolic ones?

Considering a Samsara, Taom, Hammerhead, or ON Cyborg

What game do you play on what kind of table? Is the cloth fast or slow?, What speed do you normally break at?, What break cue are you using?

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I've had a little issue with my Sonic tip causing very noticeable scratch lines on my cloth for about 12 inches just beyond the cue ball where I break from.
I don't think I follow through with the tip that pronounced down in to the cloth, but obviously it's bad enough to cause these unsightly scratch lines on our new Simonis cloth,
which I can't seem to remove, and it's hard to change my break follow-through technique after all these years.

Just curious if you've experienced either the White Diamond or Hammerhead tip causing the same types of apparently permanent scratch lines in the cloth if you follow through

To be honest, I didnt really notice. I dont have my own table so i dont pay so much attention lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use the same tip with a Mezz Kai cue, have the same lines from follow through in the felt. I don't think is a Sonic tip fault, it will be the same result with every tip if you have a long follow through when you break.

I will recommend Sonic tip, great for break and jump, easy to work when installed, even without lathe, hold chalk well and didn't have that high glass sound.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the same tip with a Mezz Kai cue, have the same lines from follow through in the felt. I don't think is a Sonic tip fault, it will be the same result with every tip if you have a long follow through when you break.

I will recommend Sonic tip, great for break and jump, easy to work when installed, even without lathe, hold chalk well and didn't have that high glass sound.
Yeah, I love my Sonic tip and Mezz break cue as well, just not happy with the break lines - which are far more noticeable than the marks left with my previous break cue which was a Pechauer break cue with whatever tip they use on their break cue. I've tried to round off the edge of the Sonic tip in hopes of helping to decrease those marks, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference.