Deleting Account?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is really a good post, the kind i like to see. truth is, i grew up in pool watching a guy (i hate to name names, but here goes) roy yamani teach. i like him, but i HATED the way he taught... i never really got too worked up about it as i was always so obsessed with my own game. but the whole thought and style of the way he taught just always perterbed me-- as in i just didnt feel that was doing anything for people. is scott roy yamani? no... but maybe i just feel that way about most teachers. i still dont agree with you on how people improve greatly, i think it is practice, pressure and watching good pool..... but hey, what do i know.... i just bet if i put my arguments forth on this, and 5 or so good to great REAL pool players read our arguments, i think id win.

enzo:

IMHO, these two sentences pretty much, for me, sum-up "why has enzo been all over Scott Lee for such a long time?" I knew it'd come out, sooner or later. That answer, for me, is that you are PROJECTING your bad experience from Roy Yamani onto Scott. And that's just plain wrong. Psychologically, rationally, and judicially wrong. All your defenses as to why you think you should be allowed to express your opinion (which you know there's a lot of folks, like me, that will defend you to the hilt to be able to do), lose their credibility and their weight when it becomes obvious that the person is merely projecting from a previous bad experience, "so all instructors from here on out just rub me wrong." Is this the "Pavlov's Method" of categorization?

but one thing peolpe are getting wrong, i have seen scott state stuff just blatanlty wrong on so many occasions... "most banks are made with a 1/4 hit" just the most outlandish stuff.... this last issue pushed me overboard because i see over and over players looking down on others that simply go sit in their chair after a foul, then subsequently asked if there was a foul, and the guy says YEP! and then the incoming player sees him as a kind of cheat cus he was supposedly trying to get away with something. i hate that, its not right. anyway, thanks for the thoughts, enough for now... be back later.... maybe, ha.

Enzo, one of Scott's (and any billiards instructor's) requirements is to be knowledgeable of the rules of the game that he/she is to offer instruction in. It makes logical sense. I would expect that, if I were to challenge Scott to a One Pocket match, that -- his playing abilities aside -- he would know all the rules to the game. Just because he's a "stroke instructor," doesn't mean that's where his expertise ends. Being an instructor (in any aspect) of the discipline of billiards/pool, I would expect Scott to know (or at least be resourceful enough to be able to retrieve, if he doesn't know them off the top of his head) the rules and regulations of play. That would include the topic of fouls, ethics, etc.

As for the topic of fractional hits on bank shots (i.e. one particular fractional hit being more common than others), I think you took his information out of context. I'm sure Scott didn't say that; it'd be helpful if you had a link to his original post. I play a LOT of bank pool (it's one of my favorite games, in line with One Pocket), and for me, the half-ball hit seems to be the most commonly occurring fractional hit / aim for bank shots. (Albeit, this might be due to my One Pocket experience, and my preference for "backwards-cut" banks into corner pockets.)

And, on top of all this, Scott -- like any human being -- has his own opinions based on his experiences and the knowledge he has gained. We all do this. Because our experiences may differ, our opinions may differ as well. We are all colored by our past experiences. Scott's opinion of that "is it your duty to call a foul on yourself and make it obvious to your opponent?" issue may be different than your own, because his experiences are different from yours. That doesn't make his -- or yours -- right or wrong. (That's the job of the rule-makers, the BCA/WPA, etc.) It's just an opinion. And these are public forums -- the conduit for opinions.

Performing cyber-suicide by asking that your account/screenname be removed (and all evidence that you ever existed here be removed as well) is certainly your right. But to do so because of difference of opinion is, IMHO, a travesty.

Just take a break for a little while. All posters here do so, at some point. I myself recently took a much-needed break from the 14.1 forums because of what I saw was a "good ol' boy network" in place. I was wrong, and I came to that realization later, after I'd taken a break. Sometimes we let our emotions take control of what are normally very rational fingers. Emotions are poison, and are the death of many a rational thought and action.

My suggestion is not to succumb to "emotions of the moment." Take a break. Come back after you've relaxed and done other things for a while. It will be good, and I'm sure there are many on here (like me) that would like to see your thoughts on these boards again after you've taken a breather.

All the best,
-Sean

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what Sean? It's not even that I think it's everyone's "duty" to call their own fouls. I just said it's MY duty to myself. Like you espoused, it's an opinion, and one that's shared by many. One of the big arguments always debated here, and especially recently, is why the pros cannot make a decent living...for whatever reason. IMO, part of it stems from the public perception that really good poolplayers (call them sharks, hustlers, or whatever), including some professionals, seem to exude that deceptive personna. True or not, some pros do nothing to try to break that cycle, by their behavior out in the public eye. Calling your own fouls, again imo, is certainly one way to start changing that perception.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

enzo:
Scott's opinion of that "is it your duty to call a foul on yourself and make it obvious to your opponent?" issue may be different than your own, because his experiences are different from yours. That doesn't make his -- or yours -- right or wrong. (That's the job of the rule-makers, the BCA/WPA, etc.) It's just an opinion. And these are public forums -- the conduit for opinions.

All the best,
-Sean

Reactions: sde

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what Sean? It's not even that I think it's everyone's "duty" to call their own fouls. I just said it's MY duty to myself. Like you espoused, it's an opinion, and one that's shared by many. One of the big arguments always debated here, and especially recently, is why the pros cannot make a decent living...for whatever reason. IMO, part of it stems from the public perception that really good poolplayers (call them sharks, hustlers, or whatever), including some professionals, seem to exude that deceptive personna. True or not, some pros do nothing to try to break that cycle, by their behavior out in the public eye. Calling your own fouls, again imo, is certainly one way to start changing that perception.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

This reminds me of a situation I saw last year. I can't even remember which tournament it was. I was watching the PGA, and on the 18th hole (I think it was pebble beach), the leader of the tourney played out of the rough/hazard where there were bushes and sticks.

He chipped up to the green and everyone clapped. Immediately after, he went to an official and told him he hit one of the branches and disturbed the lie of the ball (a one stroke penalty). They had to go to super super slow-motion to even see the penalty.

He called it on himself and most likely no one would have ever been the wiser. It resulted in him finishing 2nd or 3rd (can't remember). Basically, it cost him about half a million to call something on himself that might have never been seen.

That is integrity for the game. It is expected that in golf, you call your own penalties. Whether a friendly game or for a million, the same is expected of everyone. That's how it should be in pool. I don't care if you want to use the excuse of "growing the game" or whatever makes you feel better. You should feel an expectation to yourself to do the right thing.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

This reminds me of a situation I saw last year. I can't even remember which tournament it was. I was watching the PGA, and on the 18th hole (I think it was pebble beach), the leader of the tourney played out of the rough/hazard where there were bushes and sticks.

He chipped up to the green and everyone clapped. Immediately after, he went to an official and told him he hit one of the branches and disturbed the lie of the ball (a one stroke penalty). They had to go to super super slow-motion to even see the penalty.

He called it on himself and most likely no one would have ever been the wiser. It resulted in him finishing 2nd or 3rd (can't remember). Basically, it cost him about half a million to call something on himself that might have never been seen.

That is integrity for the game. It is expected that in golf, you call your own penalties. Whether a friendly game or for a million, the same is expected of everyone. That's how it should be in pool. I don't care if you want to use the excuse of "growing the game" or whatever makes you feel better. You should feel an expectation to yourself to do the right thing.

Guys:

I think you're losing the focus of my point here. I'm not questioning the validity/integrity of calling fouls on oneself. (I'm a fan of ethics and integrity, calling fouls on myself as well, even if noone else saw them, if that even matters here, which I don't think it does.)

Rather, my point was to pour water onto enzo making a big deal about it. To pour water onto the fact he had a difference of opinion from you, Scott, and you, Brandon, and scores of others. It's an opinion. Big whoopee. It's nothing to get all riled up about, or to mislabel / broadbrush-paint someone, because he/she had a "Pavlov moment" with an instructor at one point in his/her life.

Let's not lose sight of that fact, or pull things out of context with the rest of the post, ok?

-Sean

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotcha! Point taken...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Guys:

I think you're losing the focus of my point here. I'm not questioning the validity/integrity of calling fouls on oneself. (I'm a fan of ethics and integrity, calling fouls on myself as well, even if noone else saw them, if that even matters here, which I don't think it does.)

Rather, my point was to pour water onto enzo making a big deal about it. To pour water onto the fact he had a difference of opinion from you, Scott, and you, Brandon, and scores of others. It's an opinion. Big whoopee. It's nothing to get all riled up about, or to mislabel / broadbrush-paint someone, because he/she had a "Pavlov moment" with an instructor at one point in his/her life.

Let's not lose sight of that fact, or pull things out of context with the rest of the post, ok?

-Sean

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys:

-Sean

I understand what you were doing. I was more responding to Scott's response. It reminded me of a good point and I chose to derail the thread.

Thread back on track, continue on (love ya Sean :smile:)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gotcha! Point taken...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I understand what you were doing. I was more responding to Scott's response. It reminded me of a good point and I chose to derail the thread.

Thread back on track, continue on (love ya Sean :smile:)

No problem, guys. And, actually, I may be eating a bit of crow at the moment. I just noticed the "mods, please delete me, let me go" thread that Enzo-bert Humperdinck himself created. I'm just shaking my head, speechless.

Scott, I didn't know you had a twin! I guess his full name is (or was) "Scott Underbar Lee". :p

Well, while my intent to wake him up was now lost, at least my point wasn't. :eek:

-Sean

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enzo...you appear to be fixated on Scott (is that the correct word...I did not go to college and did crappy in school). If it were anyone else other than SL I would have totally ignored your threads. But I admire his style and ability to teach, play, etc. I plan to learn from him sometime soon. He has my support. Why the big debate here. Let life flow. You're are bringing stress to where there is none.

BTW...Scott...thanks for your help & free advice on the forum.

Last edited:

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Enzo,
As an instructor, I have learned more from teaching than I ever did from learning. One of the most important things that I have learned is that everybody is different - we learn different - we stand different - stroke different - think different - and for that reason there will be things that apply to some players, whereas other players can get by on a completely different set of rules.

Center to edge is not right or wrong - for some it is a God-send - where other players can get by using ghost-ball aiming - that's just the way the world works. If we all approached and viewed every situation and every topic the same exact way -or- if we all did things the same exact way - we'd all be bored shitless.

Scott and I are very good friends. We teach the game quite differently, but we always find a way to meet in the middle on most every subject and topic. When it comes to instruction, I've never found a reason to argue with Scott about anything despite the fact that we are completely different. IN those areas where we are different, I can waste my time arguing about it, or putting my twist on it, or trying to perfect it in an attempt to feed my ego or prove that my way is the right way - but that is such a waste of time - such a waste of energy.

Several years ago, whenever someone asked me about fundamentals or the stroke, or pre-shot routine, I would teach them "my way". As the years passed, I started getting students that had been to Scott and Randy, and I saw that they possessed a confidence in their fundamentals that I did not see in other students. For that reason, and because I respect these guys so much, I started referring students to Scott Lee, Randy Goettlicher, and Steve Jennings.

I get more e-mails thanking me for these referrals than I get for my own material. That's what its all about - helping players. That is why we all teach. Today, I feel as if I am doing students a disservice by not sending them to Scott or Randy, or any of the other SPF family of instructors. The students I refer to them come back as better players, and the best part, is that I am NOT losing any money by doing this - in fact helping them has helped me. Good Karma - what comes around goes around and comes back to you tenfold.

Sometimes people's opinions are going to piss you off. You don't have to leave the forum. You just have to accept that you are going to find people in this world that have absolutely no use for the way that you do things. Trust me, Scott gets that more than anybody I know. I, for one, hope that you stay around here.

As a "quasi-instructor" I have noticed this as well and totally agree. The saying is true: "Different strokes for different folks!"

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
ok, to aka trigger.... your momma!

is that good enough, or do i need more, seriously... im not nasty enough maybe? i can work on it. maybe i need mr wilsons momma involved? since this is mob rule and hes the king, i think so.... ?

You have no idea how far out of line you are here .... totally out of line.