Derby Dispatches -- Day Seven.

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Without objection, I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

A Great Finish.

What a treat! Three one-pocket matches, three terrific players. Sorry it’s over, glad I got to see it. Thanks Accu-Stats!

Poignancy.

Announcer: ‘Billy really likes Scott, he sees a lot of himself in Scott.’

Scott: ‘Billy’s like a second father to me.’

I haven’t seen a lot of pool streamings, but I think Scott is the best color analyst, at least in one-pocket, in the business. What surprised me is the warmth in his voice, especially in juxtaposition to the rather brutish aura he projects when playing.

One example … he confided he was rooting for a certain player to win the one-pocket championship because he had recently experienced some financial setbacks.

You can tell Scott not only knows the game, he loves it.

Words of Wisdom. Or, at least, of Experience. From my Elders.

‘The pool world is treacherous -- very few people make a living in it.’ (Scott.)

‘I’m sickened. I’m shocked.’ (Scott watching Corey against SVB.)

‘They’re both paramedics to each other -- they keep putting life back in each other.’ (Corey v. SVB.)

‘Don’t lose the game on a puny safety -- go down shooting.’

‘Pool should be fun. Too many players don’t enjoy it.’

‘It’s harder to break on the TV table with the lights. And now the cloth is more slippery.’

‘Nobody is more creative than Corey.’

‘It’s almost like Shane doesn’t want to work as hard as he needs to.’

‘Shane executes as well as anybody on the planet.’

‘Shane does have some immaturity in his one-pocket game.’

‘As his stature in the game has grown, Shane has lost some of the fun in his game.’

‘That shows how good Shane is -- he isn’t that seasoned in one-pocket, but he’s won the Derby two years in a row.’

‘The smaller, tighter the bridge is is the more control you have. The longer the bridge, the more power.’

‘Not shooting a spot shot (one-pocket) is an extreme form of cowardliness.’

‘SVB is playing to the level of his opponents.’ (Up with Justin Hall, down with Benny Conway Jr.)

‘SVB is unwilling to settle for what the table will give him.’ (Impatient -- shooting at a tough shot when there’s a smart safety.)

‘When a good player has an easy run and doesn’t get out, you don’t care if the cue ball is up on the light, you’re just happy to get back to the table.’

And my favorite: ‘Almost doesn’t pay the rent.’

Something Cool I Didn’t Know. And a Question.

When Kenny spots up balls (one pocket) he puts the lower numbered ball first. Also, he positions balls so the numbers point up, eliminating any unfair aiming points.

Can you call for your time out between games when it isn’t your break?

Further Thoughts on Stream Scheduling. Or, the False Choice.

There is a lot of talk about the future of pool. Or lack thereof.

The Derby is an ideal venue for attracting new viewers, potential fans, even new players from among the younger set.

So why aren’t more customers coming to the tent?

One theory (mine!) is that the way the Derby schedule is set up, each day of streaming brings dead air. Not from a lack of players, not from a lack of matches. From the lack of a coordinated schedule.

Even when a live TV table match is being streamed, there are sometimes relatively uninteresting or lopsided matchups while star players compete on adjacent tables.

Plus, most days there are ‘encore performances’ (which would be most welcome anytime except when live play is going on) to fill empty time slots.

If the industry is interested in expanding its horizons, I believe that better coordination between the tournament and the streamers would help.

And I don’t believe it’s an either / or situation -- follow the tournament schedule. Or else. I do believe the tournament and streamers can help each other by … well, helping each other. A good thing feeds upon itself and of itself is fed.

What in the world does that mean?

Now, in the ‘I believe in Allah, but I still tie up my camel’ category there is one thing I’m not sure of … I know Accu-Stats earns (and deserves!) revenue from DVD sales. Maybe it boosts their numbers to offer matches that haven’t been seen on the TV table?

But, my sense is that Accu-Stats is a good corporate citizen. And smart enough to understand that an overall expansion of the audience for pool makes good business sense.

A rising tide lifts all yachts!

Of course it’s too late to make scheduling adjustments in this tournament. But maybe Tunica? Next year’s Derby?

Hope springs!

The Niels Factor.

A pal e-mailed me that Niels Feijen has a beautiful wife and child. I’m happy for them.

(Watching Scott Frost smother Niels in their one-pocket match reminded me -- for some reason -- of that legal term, sequential liability. It seemed as if every time Niels came to the table was more perilous than the time before. But I still lamped the match for obvious reasons.)

The Ball Color Dilemma.

Hint for the commentators who have trouble telling the pool balls apart: take your iPhone into the booth (turn it on vibrate!), log onto the Accu-Stats stream and glance at your phone whenever in doubt.

You're welcome!



“Get me rewrite!” is my life,

Sunny

P. S. I realize that reading my posts is not an unencumbered pleasure. Tough!
 
Extremely grateful for those who share their experiences for those who could not be there/see the stream.

Thanks, Sunny!

Ben
 
Back
Top