Device to hold a dial indicator on headstock

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a video on YouTube where a cue maker mounted a dial indicator on the headstock of his Cue Smith Deluxe lathe. I have a Mid Size Cue Smith lathe and would like to find a similar device for my lathe. Any help in finding something like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
You can make a mount that will simply clamp your base to the top using the T slots built into the headstock. As you've surely realized a "normal" indicator mount with a magnetic base doesn't work with any of the Taig systems. Find a small block of whatever,drill a couple clearance holes,a couple screws and t nuts and you can go from there.

The lathe I'm building has a Deluxe sized but solid billet aluminum headstock with no slots on top. I'm mounting a ground steel plate to the top so I can use my Noga or Mitutoyo mounts when needed. Tommy D.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw a video on YouTube where a cue maker mounted a dial indicator on the headstock of his Cue Smith Deluxe lathe. I have a Mid Size Cue Smith lathe and would like to find a similar device for my lathe. Any help in finding something like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
The mid size is easy to adapt a dial indicator to the headstock. I have one on mine. I used a tool post since the top of the headstock has slots that match the square nut on the toolpost.

For the deluxe I mounted a small metal plate on top of the taper bar and use the magnetic base dial indicator with rod.

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
I have a midsize. I installed 2 spare steel drawer slides end to end between the lathe bed and the taper bar. I can indicate anywhere along the full length with a magnetic base dial indicator. It works well for me.

1617591553517.png

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
Thanks Mike! I have ordered the magnetic base and will use your excellent solution to my problem! Thanks again.
I think that you will find it to be more versatile than a head stock mount. It takes less than 10 seconds to set up and 5 seconds to remove.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got the mag base and will set up based on you photo. Thanks again. I would have never thought to do this!!

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
I've learned a lot from this and the Ask A Cuemaker forum. Chris Hightower has patiently answered my many emails. I'm happy to help out if I can.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike! I have ordered the magnetic base and will use your excellent solution to my problem! Thanks again
Any flat piece of steel will do around 1-1/2 inches wide. If you don't have any slides laying around :alien: