Diagnosing unknown A joint issues...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I have questions about 2 diff cues that have unknown issues that cause noise I have loosely attributed to an A joint issue,but have no solid plan of action.

The first cue is an American made McDermott. This cue was making an odd noise,so I checked the 4oz weight bolt,and even took it out,but it still makes an unpleasant buzz.

The joint facings are not the issue,nor the tip/ferrule.

This cue was sold a few times and no one ever sent in the warranty card,so it's not repairable for free thru the factory. The weight bolt hole probably goes within a couple inches of the A joint,but don't have a tool to see if there is anything else in there like a set screw for weight,etc.

Is this something that can only be fixed at the factory level,or is there a work-around for those of you that have seen this before?

The second cue,and one I've been both hoping for AND dreading working on,is the infamous gawky aluminum jointed K-Mart Dufferin.

The aluminum joint hardware on this cue is in decent shape,but the black joint collars are cracked,and I'd like to replace them.

Is there a technique for removing the aluminum parts without trashing them?

This cue also has something wrong that causes noise,even without the shaft on it,and after taking the bumper off. The butt sleeve is 100% solid with only a wood screw hole for holding the bumper,so it's not a loose weight bolt issue.

Let's say I manage to get the big,clumsy joint out of the butt without destroying it,and the noise is still there.

Other than cutting the butt in half at the A joint,and using the forearm in another cue somehow,does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

As usual,your help is appreciated ;). Tommy D.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Noises ... like a buzz when you bang the butt against you hand, are very hard to find. It is often times hard to tell exactly where the noise originates from.

I had one that I believed had a noise in the butt by the handle/butt sleeve area. l fully core with a one piece maple dowel so I was at a loss as to what caused the buzz...

It made the noise with the weight bolt out and nothing I could find seemed loose.

I drilled the butt with a 3/8 gun drill in about 12 inches and glued in a 3/8 dowel. I plugged the butt and threaded it for a new weight bolt.

Problem solved..........

Kim