Diamond Professional red oversize 8 foot - what cushions?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think the Diamond red label rail history is super well known. Thats what blue labels fixed, right?

I was wondering what exactly is different on the Diamond 9 ft tables w/black labels? I think @rexus31 educated me/us that “Diamond Blacks” refers to a specific rail rubber from Diamond on 7 & 8 ft tables that was actually black in color, I guess a totally different issue.

I understood no design changes to any Diamond 9ft rails since blue labels. I have a mid 2000’s black label proAm & have seen several others - it plays same as Diamond blue labels in NorCal poolhalls, ie CA Billiards, HT in Sac, etc.

Again, sorry for noob table questions, I was out of the game for a looooooong time.

✌️
Perhaps a call to Diamond could fill in the gap?

viper99ta

Appreciate all the responses, especially any on the history as it is scarce. I'll be buying the championship tour edition K55 with 1/8" (3mm) facings.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Championship tour edition k55.
These are what Glen recommended. I put them on a 9 foot red label and it plays great.
I have one a 9 foot diamond with those rails in a garage. What temp and humidity keeps them playing the best? They seemed to have slowed down a bit this year and wanted to see if there was any adjustments to speed them up?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I try to keep my table room at under 60% humidity. Usually around 45-50%. Temp stays around 72-74 degrees in the summer. Warmer in the winter obviously.

Also check rail bolt torque? Its not a Diamond, but I check my GC4 once a year just to be sure that nothing has changed.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Definitely check rail bolt torque. Also it's also possible that the cloth was not stretched properly, and has relaxed a bit and has become loose enough to affect the roll. How hard do you have to push on the cloth to get it to move, and how much movement can you get out of it?
That rubber should play the same for many years, I can't imagine that will be the reason you've noticed the table is slower.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely check rail bolt torque. Also it's also possible that the cloth was not stretched properly, and has relaxed a bit and has become loose enough to affect the roll. How hard do you have to push on the cloth to get it to move, and how much movement can you get out of it?
That rubber should play the same for many years, I can't imagine that will be the reason you've noticed the table is slower.
Cloth was stretched well. It's still tight like the day it was installed.

I'll check rail bolts. Might be I just played on the blue labels a bit to much lately and got used to the speed of those.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth was stretched well. It's still tight like the day it was installed.

I'll check rail bolts. Might be I just played on the blue labels a bit to much lately and got used to the speed of those.

Are you saying the table rolls slow or the cushions rebound slow?

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying the table rolls slow or the cushions rebound slow?
The cushions seemed slow compared to some other tables I played. I turned the heat up in the garage and now it seems to be playing better. Gonna leave the heat a bit higher for a couple days and see if that helps.

Garage was at 68/70 with just at 50% humidity

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Original Diamond tables came with Brunswick Superspeed..
K55 Black on barbox is silly to me.
Those same black cushions are sold by JnJ as drop in replacement for Gold Crown tables.
We installed a set on a friend's GC3 and it was decent.

Last edited:

JCL

Original Diamond tables came with Brunswick Superspeed..
K55 Black on barbox is silly to me.
Those same black cushions are sold by JnJ as drop in replacement for Gold Crown tables.
We installed a set on a friend's GC3 and it was decent.
Why silly Black Diamond on BB?

davelpl

What year did the original Diamond tables (8'OS) switch from Superspeed to the Black cushions?
The table I just bought has Superspeed on it. I've called and messages Diamond 3 times with the serial number and they have yet to let me know when it was built. Maybe this will give me an idea of age.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Diamond Red Label came with Championship Fleetwood cushions. They developed hard spots a couple years ago so I replaced them with Diamonds Black Diamond. Didn't want to spend the extra cash for the Artemis.

viper99ta

davelpl,

"The table I just bought has Superspeed on it. I've called and messages Diamond 3 times with the serial number and they have yet to let me know when it was built."

I emailed Manny and he responded the same day. https://manningcues.com/

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond Black refers to the cushions Diamond uses on all tables other than 9' which gets Artemis. They are referred to Diamond Blacks because they are black in color and used on Diamond tables.
Well yeah maybe, or it could be that the product name "Black Diamond" is clearly made into the product just as Artimus Rubber is marked as Artimus rubber. It's the product design, that just happens to have black rubber instead of red.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well yeah maybe, or it could be that the product name "Black Diamond" is clearly made into the product just as Artimus Rubber is marked as Artimus rubber. It's the product design, that just happens to have black rubber instead of red.
Its just the name everyone uses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, no, it is the name that is actually on the product.. I know this, for sure, I put them on my table this year.
Never seen the one's marked as such. The one's i saw were in a package marked 'Made in Taiwan' but that's it. Its been a few yrs ago.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never seen the one's marked as such. The one's i saw were in a package marked 'Made in Taiwan' but that's it. Its been a few yrs ago.
Yup. Exact same cushions as those with the "Diamond" embossing. Half the price.