Diamondball

RubixOne

In games that are called shot the player only calls the non-obvious shots, and among the good players they don't even call the 8 ball if they know they are playing with an honest player. Usually the ones that yell about you not calling the 8 will tend to try to cheat if they can get away with it themselves. Heck, some of the players I play I don't even bother calling banks or combos, they know if I did not mean to shot the shot that way I will walk away and it's their turn. Those shots can be pretty obvious also, one rail banks, even kicks where the object ball is close to a pocket, if someone hits those but does not say anything about calling the pocket I just assume they were going for the shot. With a few exceptions of course LOL, there are some players I know that I have to watch carefully or they will try to pull some moves. Which is a nice way of saying "cheat" ;)

Plus you may have seen games that were not being played by call shot rules, unless you were watching a pro match. APA league for example is not called shot, and a random game you watch they may not have been playing called shot. I would say most games played by beginners or people used to bar rules are played by slop, people that are at least C level of play play called shot 8 ball. Unless they grew up only playing in a league like APA where it's played as a slop game except the 8.
That makes sense.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
That wouldn't make much sense, considering that the game was named after the diamond shape of the 9-ball rack. But I suppose it would make a nice abbreviation.
It was said in jest.

I'm not a fan of the rule set.

I don't think 9ball is broken, especially at an amateur level.

RubixOne

You no longer have to call the pocket for the 9-ball like you do for the 8-ball in eight-ball. However, all other rules for pocketing the 9-ball still apply.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corn hole is much simpler and the players are happier and it’s on ESPN.

This thread demonstrates why pool is NOT and corn hole IS.

And why there are 1,325,753 threads on AZB about this topic.

Best
Fatboy <———trust me I took the time out of my day to count the number of threads

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Most "problems" with 9 ball are fixed by playing 10 ball ;)

The rule about 8 ball losing if pocketed early, or in wrong pocket came about from bar tables, were if the 8 is sunk it's locked so the game is over. Should not be a carry over into other games since 9 ball is not really played on typical bar tables where you pay coins to get the balls out. The rules may be OK to play on a coin bar table though, in fact they seem to be geared for exactly that.

As long as the pool industry will remain happy on small streaming channels with only pool industry sponsors, so be it. 10-Ball would never make good TV. Even 9-Ball had to be chopped down for TV viewing. 10-Ball is also much less exciting for the average TV viewer to watch.

RubixOne

After finishing Snookerpool, I decided to revisit this game, and I found a better solution to the break problem - rotating the rack 90 degrees and placing the 9-ball on the foot spot, akin to how the solids and the 14-ball are set up in Snookerpool. Because of the way the balls move when the breaker smashes the pack open, there isn't really a weakness in the pack to exploit, making golden breaks and other quick wins very difficult, even with pattern racking, gaps in the rack, and soft breaking.

Edit: I also added a rule to handle situations where the winner cannot be identified when the 9-ball is sunk.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just put the balls in a bucket and pour them out on the table, then arm wrestle for who goes first.

RubixOne

Let's just put the balls in a bucket and pour them out on the table, then arm wrestle for who goes first.
Bucketball, I like it! Except maybe replace the arm wrestle with rock paper scissors (the players need their arms). XD

Cuedup

I've heard 1pkt referred to as chess. Seems pretty accurate. I haven't played enough snooker to comment.

RubixOne

After some tests, I decided to allow push outs for the second shot of the rack, but with a catch - it is a foul to pot the 9-ball without hitting the lowest numbered ball first. And since potting the 9-ball and committing a foul is a loss, this prevents push outs from being used for easy wins.

RubixOne

After some testing, I found out that the sideways diamond actually had a higher chance of giving a golden break than the regular diamond, so I decided to revert the setup to a regular diamond with the 9 on the spot.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look at pool as a game of skill. If I shoot a ball into the corner and it doesn’t go it’s a miss. I’ve never understood how someone can miss a ball, by a foot at times, it goes in three rails later and they win. If you miss you miss, shouldn’t matter what happens after a miss