"Diamondizing" a Gold Crown III.. In Germany

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Diamond builds a fantastic product. They are well built tables, with a lot of great aspects about them. Diamond is a company that cares about the products that they build, and they support large tournaments.

However, the Artemis rubber is installed upside-down, which causes them to bank short. Regardless of that aspect, the tables are still quite nice, for a number of reasons. Because they are such nice tables, players will adapt to them, and disregard the known banking flaw.

There are a number of high-level pro players that absolutely hate the way that Diamond tables bank. I will not name them here, as it is not my place to do so. However, a number of them have voiced their opinion on Facebook, of the Diamond rail issues. Fact is, these same pro players win events on Diamond tables. Still doesn't mean they like the way the table plays..

Your rationale is flawed.

Have YOU ever played on a Diamond without a worsted woolen cloth installed on it?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Diamond builds a fantastic product. They are well built tables, with a lot of great aspects about them. Diamond is a company that cares about the products that they build, and they support large tournaments.

However, the Artemis rubber is installed upside-down, which causes them to bank short. Regardless of that aspect, the tables are still quite nice, for a number of reasons. Because they are such nice tables, players will adapt to them, and disregard the known banking flaw.

There are a number of high-level pro players that absolutely hate the way that Diamond tables bank. I will not name them here, as it is not my place to do so. However, a number of them have voiced their opinion on Facebook, of the Diamond rail issues. Fact is, these same pro players win events on Diamond tables. Still doesn't mean they like the way the table plays..

How does a Diamond bank with Championship Titan cloth installed on it.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Have YOU ever played on a Diamond without a worsted woolen cloth installed on it?

On this forum, deflection is your modus operandi.

I have never seen a Diamond table that did not have Simonis cloth installed. But, that is not the point of the discussion.

I agree with your position, that worsted cloth has changed everything. However, we are talking about modern day. Worsted cloth has been around for a while.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I have never seen a Diamond table that did not have Simonis cloth installed. But, that is not the point of the discussion.

I agree with your position, that worsted cloth has changed everything. However, we are talking about modern day. Worsted cloth has been around for a while.
I'm not deflecting, I'm simply asking if there could be other factors involved that change how a pool table plays, instead of just blaming the pool table brand as "It's all Diamonds fault". And yes, i have installed championship Titan cloth on a few Diamond 7ft bar tables, and YES it makes a world of difference in how the table plays!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

So am i guessing that you support installing the Artemis cushions with the hump side up....because it corrects the banking short complaints? Is that what you're saying?

bradsh98

Silver Member
So am i guessing that you support installing the Artemis cushions with the hump side up....because it corrects the banking short complaints? Is that what you're saying?

I have not personally tried installing Artemis cushions with the radius on the top side, as the clients for whom I have installed them suggest that they want their table "to play like a Diamond". However, I do have a hypothesis that the radius facing up would likely remedy much of the "banking short" issue.

I'm also not disputing the claim that installing non-worsted cloth on a Diamond table would dramatically change the way that the table plays. That can be clearly seen on any table. Valley tables are probably the most common table around to have a variety of each type of cloth. There is quite a difference between a Valley with Simonis 860 and a Valley with Championship Mercury Ultra. That is something that I have seen quite a lot of, and have a very strong opinion on. In fact, I regularly suggest that worsted cloth should NEVER be installed on a Valley 7' (or smaller) table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have not personally tried installing Artemis cushions with the radius on the top side, as the clients for whom I have installed them suggest that they want their table "to play like a Diamond". However, I do have a hypothesis that the radius facing up would likely remedy much of the "banking short" issue.

I'm also not disputing the claim that installing non-worsted cloth on a Diamond table would dramatically change the way that the table plays. That can be clearly seen on any table. Valley tables are probably the most common table around to have a variety of each type of cloth. There is quite a difference between a Valley with Simonis 860 and a Valley with Championship Mercury Ultra. That is something that I have seen quite a lot of, and have a very strong opinion on. In fact, I regularly suggest that worsted cloth should NEVER be installed on a Valley 7' (or smaller) table.
So then, you're not really sure if banking short on a Diamond is because of the cushions, or the cloth, right?

bradsh98

Silver Member
So then, you're not really sure if banking short on a Diamond is because of the cushions, or the cloth, right?

I can easily compare a factory Diamond table, with Simonis 860HR to a factory Gold Crown table with 860HR.

I really don't care what difference non-worsted cloth makes on a Diamond, considering that every Diamond that comes out of the factory has worsted cloth installed. The only one that cares about this silliness is you.

Diamond tables bank short. EVERYONE agrees. The discussion is not a matter of WHY they bank short. Not many people truly care why. However, it is a known fact that they bank short. Sure, the Blue Labels are much better than the Red Labels, but they still bank short.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I can easily compare a factory Diamond table, with Simonis 860HR to a factory Gold Crown table with 860HR.

I really don't care what difference non-worsted cloth makes on a Diamond, considering that every Diamond that comes out of the factory has worsted cloth installed. The only one that cares about this silliness is you.

Diamond tables bank short. EVERYONE agrees. The discussion is not a matter of WHY they bank short. Not many people truly care why. However, it is a known fact that they bank short. Sure, the Blue Labels are much better than the Red Labels, but they still bank short.

Well, all i can say is the bank pool tournament at the DCC sure isn't lacking players, and the players that place in the money sure don't seem to have a problem banking balls on the 9ft Diamonds, so they sure do seem to play well for the regular people buying them, and playing on them. The squeaky wheel in this case don't seem to have much support!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

A lot more work needs to be done on the rails.....other than 55 cushions and changing the angles.
The rail has to thicker if it was a snooker and thinner if it was a billiards table.
The Artemis 10 foot cushion is a good cushion for 10' table....not good for 9' tables.
To much spring and banking short....Diamond tables do that with Artemis cushions....they play a little better now on the blue label tables....but not much difference than the red label tables played.
Sounds like your going to do the work yourself.....good luck...lot of work doing it right.

Mark Gregory
NOT MY OPINION. Mark Gregory's.

Topic has been beat to near death.https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379860&highlight=artemis
Jay...your 100% right on everything you just stated.
The cushion with hump on top play the best....the only way I do them.
Mark Gregory

Maybe Mark is mislead too.
Glen...I'm not going to totally diagree with you....but you need to remember....all top players will adjust to any equipment....I grew up playing on some of the worst shit known to man.
A player makes adjustments on every table....speed of the cushions....speed of the cloth....watch a player warming up....testing the reaction of the rails and cloth.
Johnny Archer for one plays bad on rails that spring....as do so many other top players....but when the players can hit the balls with a firm stoke and not lose control of the cue ball....they love it.
The Artemis cushions play springy with the flat side up.....and not as springy with the hump side up...now there has to be some mods to the sub rail for any cushion to not spring....or get trapped by the cushions of any brand.
Artemis cushions are soft cushions....Brunswick are harder cushions....the mm of the nose of the cushions are different.
Artemis takes more English...and is livelier.....than Brunswick.
The blue label is still fast...not as bad as the red label....but not 100% correct yet.....that's my oppinion....don't mean I'm 100% right....but as a has been player(lol) there still to lively....now the flat side up is going to sping the balls..the hump side up helps to pinch or trap the ball and slow the ball.
The flat side up on the billiard tables help the balls to continue to travel.....you want to get more rails playing billiards.....but you want the ball to slow in pool.....I'm not correcting you...cause you already know this.
The hump side always mp need to go up....on any pool table.
Another thing that comes into play is the wood the rails are made of....the harder the wood....the less the rail absorbs vibrations...that's why popular rails play well....no just cause the wood is cheaper....they absorb vibration and that will slow the balls.
When I change the rail bolts on the GC4 with steel ones and steel inserts....the rail plays faster.

Mark Gregory

So if I am understanding this correctly, changing the cloth out will make the table bank and play more like a GC? That’s ironic. Diamond must have known that the tables would be offered with Simonis. I think we are finally starting to come to the conclusion that diamonds don’t play right.

The 3 pool halls I have frequented that have mixed tables (Stixx, California Billiards, forgot the name of the other) the Diamonds get very little play compared to the GC. If you go to Freezers and that’s all they have then that’s all you play.

It’s obvious they are designed as a one pocket table that you can play other games on.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
NOT MY OPINION. Mark Gregory's.

Topic has been beat to near death.https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=379860&highlight=artemis

Maybe Mark is mislead too.

Joey, in case you didn't know it, Mark and i talk almost daily, I'm aware of the whole conversation you quoted from Mark, but my question to you still waits for an answer. The speed of the rails, and banking short are two different subjects, so again the question is, if the cushions are mounted hump side up, do the Diamonds still bank short???

bradsh98

Silver Member
Well, all i can say is the bank pool tournament at the DCC sure isn't lacking players, and the players that place in the money sure don't seem to have a problem banking balls on the 9ft Diamonds, so they sure do seem to play well for the regular people buying them, and playing on them. The squeaky wheel in this case don't seem to have much support!

I already addressed this in a prior post, in this very thread...

You keep going round and round, in circular arguments. Your constant deflection makes it impossible to reason with you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So if I am understanding this correctly, changing the cloth out will make the table bank and play more like a GC? That’s ironic. Diamond must have known that the tables would be offered with Simonis. I think we are finally starting to come to the conclusion that diamonds don’t play right.

The 3 pool halls I have frequented that have mixed tables (Stixx, California Billiards, forgot the name of the other) the Diamonds get very little play compared to the GC. If you go to Freezers and that’s all they have then that’s all you play.

It’s obvious they are designed as a one pocket table that you can play other games on.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I'm sorry, what's a one pocket table again?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I already addressed this in a prior post, in this very thread...

You keep going round and round, in circular arguments. Your constant deflection makes it impossible to reason with you.

Ok, I'll ask YOU the same question, if the cushions are mounted hump side up, do they still bank short??? Oh, that's right, you've never mounted them hump side up, so you don't know anyway.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Ok, I'll ask YOU the same question, if the cushions are mounted hump side up, do they still bank short??? Oh, that's right, you've never mounted them hump side up, so you don't know anyway.

You're right: I haven't tried it.

My theory:

For a Diamond table, I would have to guess that they still bank short. I believe that the rigidity of the table is what causes the majority of the short banking issue. Hence the reason that the smaller tables still bank short.

The tables have such a rigid construction, that there is minimal energy loss through the table. This isn't a bad thing. But, using the same specifications that are used on a Gold Crown, it makes the tables bank shorter.

I still believe that flipping the Artemis cushions to have the rounded side up would improve the short banking issue, but I do not have any experience in validating this theory, nor would I have a way to quantify the results.

Fact is, there are very few Diamond tables in my area, and the owners of the ones that are local, would certainly not want to experiment with changing them.