Did George Balabushka sign or put ......

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junksecret said:
Apparently the thread and design of the screw inside the butt is also very telling since I understand X-rays are often requested by Pete in his authentication process.

Joe

Are you refering to the 'A' joint - where the wrap meets front?
Or the buttcap - behind the wrap?

BTW love your evolution logo

Dale

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Are you refering to the 'A' joint - where the wrap meets front?
Or the buttcap - behind the wrap?

BTW love your evolution logo

Dale
Where the forearm meets the handle. George connected them two underneath the wrap material.

I've heard some people call the A joint the connection Above the handle/wrap. The B-joint as the connection Below the handle/wrap (handle to Butt sleeve). Okay, maybe I heard one person say this. LOL!!!

Fred

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bushka

luckylady said:
I have a window one with my name in the bottom handwritten on black between two silver thick rings.
Spain forearm, solid black joint rings.
Bought late 66 or early 67 with two shafts from george for $75.00.

Luckylady,

Now I see the reason for your screen name!

Best Regards,
Hal

P.S. - Very good Bushka copies were once made by a few less than scrupulous cue makers. Sometimes Pete will not say one-way or the other unless X-rayed.

Last edited:

cypher

Were Balabushka copies made during George's lifetime, or after the movie came out?

Hal2 said:
Luckylady,

Now I see the reason for your screen name!

Best Regards,
Hal

P.S. - Very good Bushka copies were once made by a few less than scrupulous cue makers. Sometimes Pete will not say one-way or the other unless X-rayed.

APA sleeper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
copies

I bought an old Tad years ago that everybody was willing to bet was a Balabushka until I unscrewed the shaft and they saw the joint screw.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
cypher said:
Were Balabushka copies made during George's lifetime, or after the movie came out?
Definitely before the movie (TCOM) came out. His cues were already the most famous amoung collectors. That's why they used his name.

And, if I recall correctly from interviews with collectors, people were either passing off knockoffs while he was alive, or people simply didn't know enough of what they were buying to know if it was a Balabushka, a Palmer, or a Viking. Or any other cuemaker who made a similar traditional style.

Fred

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
luckylady said:
I have a window one with my name in the bottom handwritten on black between two silver thick rings.
Spain forearm, solid black joint rings.
Bought late 66 or early 67 with two shafts from george for $75.00.

I have seen this cue and it's a very nice cue. The only one I have seen personalized in this manner....

JV

classiccues

Silver Member
cypher said:

I think there were inadvertent copies made. I know that Tad's first line of cues closely resembled many of the east coast cue makers, before his cues started looking the way they do now. You also had a bunch of east coast guys building very similarly styled cues. When I say inadvertent I mean not made to be passed off as real Bushka's. I think that started more or less after his death.

JV

classiccues

Silver Member
http://www.classiccues.com/cues/balabushka_2.html

Before my last thread was hijacked, I promised everyone something special. I sat down with Mark last week and we started laying the groundwork for something we felt was long over due. On this page you will find a sampling of information that has been collected over a long period of time.

What we have done is come up with some of the more basic information that would help you id a Bushka from appearance only. This page will obviously get a few additions from time to time, but it's a very good primer.

JV

luckylady

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balabushka

Haven't checked this thread in a while.
To set the record straight lucky lady is my wife but i can only get on az with her name.
But i guess she is lucky to get the guy who got the bushka.
As someone who dosen't collect much i had similar luck with acquiring the briar pipe version of a Balabushka.
Went to a flea market and bought a pipe for $1.00 and it turned out to be a 1926 Dunhil magnum. Like Balabushka this the holy grail briar pipes.
Thanks for nice words about my Balabushka cue from classiccues. Mark and Joe always the source on fine cues.
Did i read the post right you are having another get to together at magic on July 26 and 27 ?
The last one was great. So many cues to buy sell or just enjoy. As always the tournament and hospitality were first rate.
Will you be posting full information on Pool Table Magic web site ?
I hope so.