Do people still use Szamboti's, Palmers, Rambo's etc...

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a '59 Les Paul, it IS a little risky taking a Gus or Bushka out to play every day, guys coming over and commenting,etc.

It was a bigger problem than I anticipated. Three times, guys tried to take my simple steel jointed 4P4V Gus from my hands, not trying to steal it, but just to check it out. It almost always drew attention in a pool room even from people who don’t know anything about pool cues.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3445161&postcount=10

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It almost always drew attention in a pool room even from people who don’t know anything about pool cues.

Just curious, other than someone familiar with Szamboti's, how would anyone even guess it was a cue from an important cuemaker?

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the work is tight and it doesn't look new. Plus if you've known a guy for 30 years and he's had the same 1000 dollar cue,he prolly didn't overpay,lol. They just look look different even from the newer old school style cues.

Andy
boy, that turned out vague, sorry

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a bigger problem than I anticipated. Three times, guys tried to take my simple steel jointed 4P4V Gus from my hands, not trying to steal it, but just to check it out. It almost always drew attention in a pool room even from people who don’t know anything about pool cues.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3445161&postcount=10

Exactly my problem... my Gus is a 4P4V, no ivory, steel joint, B&W veneers... last time I played out with it, set it on the table to rack for One Pocket, two guys right there next to the table, "Hey, is that a ".... people just know.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mostly I get, "Wow! Thats a nice looking cue."

I have told several it was made by Gus Szamboti, they give me a blank stare, and tell me that they have never heard of him and ask, " Is it like a Schon?" :embarrassed2:

I say, "Yes, something like that."

They have heard of Southwests, Meucci and Schon.....Szamboti not so much.

Ken

Last edited:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine isn't super vintage like the Palmer's and Gus's you mentioned, but here is my player. It's a Hagan cue made some time in the 80's. So 30 years old give or take a few years, and it's still straight!

Here are some before and after pics. I bought it after the refinish. I love the transformation.

http://www.bcmcue.com/blog/2013/4/18/hagen-cue-restoration

There's also another guy on here who found a Titlist that was converted back in the day with an ivory joint. He put a shaft on it, and was playing with it the other day. Original patina and everything. That's pretty cool IMO.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I doubt that any of the Old School cues will fall apart in anyone's hands any more than
the Good Ole Chevies from the 50's will lose parts driving down the street.

Granted, with obvious technologies available to builders these days, there are many building materials that we have that the Old Fellas never had.

I was working my way up to a Palmer at one time. Tate had made a generous offer to me at one time to purchase a basic Palmer, which was appreciated.

For myself anyway, after we lost our only Hall left in town, I didn't feel like taking more expensive cues to a bar to play, so get by with my trusty old Pred Sneaky for that.

But, that's just me. If I ever were to have one of the old ones, it definitely would have been played.

I still have a few nice ones, Older Schon's and such. I used to enjoy taking turns with all of them at the Hall.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449539281.471327.jpg

Scruggs 33 years old
Frey #1 is 30 years old
They play everyday