Do we still need different cue balls on tv?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is some science behind the choice of pool ball colors. Studies have been done to determine which colors are easiest to see on the big screen.

That said, I agree with those that say the numbers need to be made more visible. That's a change that's long overdue.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that unnerving to have a pink colored ball? Are people really that insecure?

Yes. Same reason Americans still measure using yards/feet/inches/miles, etc. for distance, ounces/quarts/gallons/etc. for volume, and grams/oz./lbs./etc. for weight. When you grow up using American measuring terms, making quick metric transposition calculations isn’t possible. The fact that competent billiard pros who become tv tournament narrators/announcers can’t correctly ID the ball #s pretty much proves the point.
Hell, every time the current temp. is announced in centigrade terms, I don’t have a clue how cold it is until I go look at a dual thermometer.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh good it’s another thread with old people who hate change complaining...just what we need.

And a youngster who can't hang with the old people who have a stroke so they change the cloth, the rails, the rules, etc. so they have a chance to win. Oh, and I forgot, they like jump cues, too.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And a youngster who can't hang with the old people who have a stroke so they change the cloth, the rails, the rules, etc. so they have a chance to win. Oh, and I forgot, they like jump cues, too.

Jump cues should be outlawed. Pool is intended to be played on a flat surface and not in the air. The only time pool balls should be airborne is in a brawl.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump cues should be outlawed. Pool is intended to be played on a flat surface and not in the air. The only time pool balls should be airborne is in a brawl.

I agree.

Jump cues in pool are a joke.

The next thing they will come up with is one of those little bridges for toy race cars so you can sit it up in front of blocking balls and drive the cue ball over it like in Putt Putt golf.