Do you carry your own cue ball to pool halls??

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I am practicing artistic pool, then I bring my measle ball. If I am there to just shoot, then I use whatever cue ball is there.

Zerksies

It's part of pool, get use to the shit equipment. If not your going to be the clown that needs a special tip/shaft combo because you can't learn to adjust to table speed.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's part of pool, get use to the shit equipment. If not your going to be the clown that needs a special tip/shaft combo because you can't learn to adjust to table speed.
lol... A bad comparison, albeit an entertaining one.

If you walk into a room and have pick of your table. Do you not pick the one in the best condition...?
If you have access to select the set of balls you'll play with. Do you not pick a set that seems to match and has a premium CB..?

No one opts to play on or with garbage equipment.

I suffer through the crap equipment in my local room during league night. Only because the table assignments are regulated for fair play. If I happen to know what table I'm playing on that evening and it doesn't have balls yet. I will grab the best of what's available at the counter. Otherwise I'll play with what's there already.

However, if I'm going somewhere for action. Why on earth would I suffer with garbage if it's avoidable...? This is no different then being shamed because I chose to buy a cue rather than roll the dice and play off the wall.

There's some level of reverse elitism going on in this thread that's head scratching...lol

Zerksies

lol... A bad comparison, albeit an entertaining one.

If you walk into a room and have pick of your table. Do you not pick the one in the best condition...?
If you have access to select the set of balls you'll play with. Do you not pick a set that seems to match and has a premium CB..?

No one opts to play on or with garbage equipment.

I suffer through the crap equipment in my local room during league night. Only because the table assignments are regulated for fair play. If I happen to know what table I'm playing on that evening and it doesn't have balls yet. I will grab the best of what's available at the counter. Otherwise I'll play with what's there already.

However, if I'm going somewhere for action. Why on earth would I suffer with garbage if it's avoidable...? This is no different then being shamed because I chose to buy a cue rather than roll the dice and play off the wall.

There's some level of reverse elitism going on in this thread that's head scratching...lol
What idiot is going to purposely pick the crappiest table when you walk into a poolhall? NO ONE! I'm just saying deal with the equipment that you have. If you play on a wide variety of tables in various conditions you will get better since you are use to adjusting to tables constantly, When i go into a pool hall I'm looking to play on a different table every time.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always bring a cue ball. I sometimes, say 50/50, use it. If it's just me I almost always use it. I don't like pure white, pitted, grimy cue balls. I like a measles or equivalent ball to be able to see the spin I'm imparting on the cue ball to evaluate my stroke. If it's league/tournament play then I just use whatever is provided, although after likely warming up with my own ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What idiot is going to purposely pick the crappiest table when you walk into a poolhall? NO ONE! I'm just saying deal with the equipment that you have. If you play on a wide variety of tables in various conditions you will get better since you are use to adjusting to tables constantly, When i go into a pool hall I'm looking to play on a different table every time.

Who force yourself to have less fun when playing? Pool is not work for most people. If I'm not enjoying playing or just not feeling right or am tired or whatever, I go home, not force myself to play on equipment I know is badly maintained or just bad or sit there smacking balls around mindlessly.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I always have a brand new measle ball hanging on my case just to troll people when gambling

I refuse to gamble with a red circle cue ball, and it always tweaks the guys who love them to have a measle ball on the table

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing on crap equipment is significantly less fun for me, especially when I own 5 different sets of quality solutions.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Exactly... ...and if you have a set of balls at your disposal to bring to a room, then you should take advantage of the equipment you have.
(y)

Playing on inconsistent equipment will not make you a better player. It will throttle down your learning curve and force you into a style of game that would be more appropriate for dealing with various versions of crap. That does not translate to becoming "better" in the grand scheme of things. The biggest advantage real pros have over average joes. Is the access to good equipment in good order.

Guess this depends on your goals. Best banger in the room .vs. best player you can be.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should I get one??
No problem for solo practice to use your own cue ball or your entire set of balls. Very uncool to try to use your own cue ball if playing matches in any level of poolroom tournament, where you should play with the same balls that every other player does.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No problem for solo practice to use your own cue ball or your entire set of balls. Very uncool to try to use your own cue ball if playing matches in any level of poolroom tournament, where you should play with the same balls that every other player does.
Would you still consider it uncool if your opponent for that match would also prefer to use the CB in better condition?

I have never done it myself. Brought a CB or set of balls to play in any public event. However I have countless times have had opponents ask if I'd be ok if we searched for a CB in better condition. Of course I agree. Only an idiot would want to play with sub par equipment. At least that's what I was recently told anyways.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I am going to play pool, I always bring my own cue and chalk. At the same time, I always bring a set of a Centennials.
I am not leaving anything to chance to be disappointed with the equipment. I carry a Aramith Black Dot and Red Dot in
my Aramith travel case and keep a pool equipment bag in my car’s trunk. That probably has a dozen different cue balls.

The new pool hall that opened in Fresno about a month ago is doing a commendable job maintaining the Diamond tables
and pool balls. Every table is vacuumed daily and brushed as needed. The pool balls are polished daily and more often
if a set was returned to the counter and didn’t look or feel right. It is like playing in a tournament every single time you go
there. And despite all that, I still bring my own Centennials but as a member, they polish my set for free.

A lot of players now carry a cue ball case that attaches to their cue case. If you have a favorite cue ball, get one and
bring it with you. Why not make your time playing pool a bit more enjoyable for those instances when you wish the
cue ball you were using was different or in better condition. Heck, the first time I felt that way would be the last time.

Know what? It was and will remain that way. I have spare brand new Measles balls at home along with extra sets of Centennials. The first time I griped about using a set of pool balls, I purchased my own set of Centennials and that
was almost 50 years and 14-15 sets ago. If the CB isn’t important to you as a player, I’d imagine that a scratched or
or nicked cue shaft doesn’t distract you either. Personally, I’d like everything to be as perfect as I can make it to be.
Now that seldom happens but right now, it is close to that with Sierra Billiards that offers a monthly membership.

Attachments

• IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our LO was very proud of his new measle cue ball that he brought to the pool hall. The problem was that it was significantly larger than all of the object balls which had worn down over the years.

I take my own complete set of balls, usually.
Tried to simply LIKE but for some reason can't.

Your solution is exactly what I do but the weight load is much less.
I just need 3 balls secured in a case and hooked to my cue case with a carabiner.

This is another reason to move over to caroms!!
Only need to carry 3 balls.

Please Consider the advantages. Much Lower carry weight even with Larger size balls, AND
It forces you to concentrate more on the CB and how it reacts.

Of course you can do the drills on a Pool Table with pool balls. And that's really fun!!

Moving around a table with the larger Billiard Balls or even larger Pyramid Balls (if you can find them) Can help you improve your stroke.

Large balls kinda forces you to deliver a better stroke.
If you're paying attention.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own two sets of 3 balls but I really prefer playing with the one with two white balls.
It’s an old set I acquired a long time ago when finding a billiards table wasn’t so hard.

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpeg
    IMG_4538.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 42

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bring my own set of balls when I go to pool halls as I am there for action only. When I make the rounds in dirty bars/shady places for action, I do not as it would be a dead giveaway.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I bought an Aramith measles at a pool hall. That’s when the equipment was in fair shape. Still have the ball.

The equipment at same place has deteriorated even further so last visit I brought my shined up set of Aramith Premiums purchased from the thrift store for $12.

You guys bringing expensive sets/cues to the hall are brave. I’d never bring anything deemed valuable for concern it could go missing after a trip to the restroom, and it’s not my partner’s responsibility to watch over the crap I bring.

Incidentally I wound up leaving the 11 ball behind so I don’t even trust myself anymore.

PracticeChampion

I'm bumping this thread. I never thought I'd be the guy to bring balls to a pool room, but I am slowly becoming a full fledged equipment snob. I had my first singles play league last night at a bar that I had not ever been. They had 4 Diamond barboxes, but the balls were absolute junk. They were hands down the worst, mismatched, filthy, clay looking pool balls I had ever seen. The cut shots seemed to play weird and the rack wouldn't get tight.

I woke up this morning and bought an Aramith pool ball case. Screw it, I'm bringing my own set next week. Whoever I play will share in the luxury and I am going to play ignorant to any ACS rules forbidding me from bringing my own set.

What do you think? Is this a butthead move or the right play?
Haven't played league in a long time, actually diamonds just started hitting the bars when I quit. Before that was valleys and occasionally a dynamo, but the balls I didn't mind as much as a bowling ball for a cue ball that took little to no English so I'd sneak in a decent cue ball if possible.

Around here it was the home bars choice on everything from which table to the balls and some bars would practice on the most uneven table with the worst balls just to have an advantage over the incoming team LoL