Do you think more skilled players are more intelligent than lesser skilled players?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a great player, like a great fighter, has to be smart enough.

But being smart isn't enough...that cue has to become another limb..
...no matter how smart you are, if you don't hit the ball well...
...you're going to play like a dummy.

A great player is an athletic nerd with OCD

Another good post!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no that's just the lie the wanna be's tell themselves... everyone underestimates the amount of effort and daily work it takes to really get somewhere...

they give it a go... 2 even 3 whole weeks... and then quit. they tell themselves they did their best... and everyone else has better equipment and more talent...

then you get the 1%ers.. the ones that hit balls till the cloth wears out... year after year...in a never ending search to get better..

heart isn't how much you bet... heart is made alone when no one is watching and you could quit ... because your frustrated... it's just not going your way today... and you hit the shot 50 more times... just because...

that's heart... he wants it more than you...

just because you didn't see it.. doesn't mean it didn't happen

you get good at pool one stroke at a time...there is no other way

I guess you do believe in equality, right?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This is something I have thought about for the last 50 years. In the beginning, and yet even now, I have thought that getting beat was an insult to my intelligence. Either that there was something I didn't know, or that the other player could be smarter than me. Refusing to accept that, I made it a point to educate myself more, while analyzing other players games looking for weak points in their games so I could use them to defeat the other player. What has resulted has been a good ability to judge a players speed, and to spot what their weak points are.

So I have to ask, do you think that the better players are smarter than their opponents or not?

In pool skills yes, better players are "smarter" than their opponents. Meaning that they not only see what to do and when to do it but they also know what they can and cannot do. Lesser players often fail in one or both of these areas.

In the larger world no, any given pool player is not smarter than any other person simply based on their respective levels in pool. This has also been proven across athletics and other fields through dozens of studies as well as just plain common sense.

Some people are farm smart and book dumb, some are farm smart and book smart, some are street wise and stupid other wise and others are street wise and physics majors.

TheThaiger

Banned
People love to point out somebody they think is "smart" and note some deficiency, yet they neglect to point out the multitude they know that are not "smart" with multitudes of deficiencies. LOL! :wink:

'Course, there are those that are brilliant at everything, eh doc? :wink:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
heart isn't how much you bet... heart is made alone when no one is watching and you could quit ... because your frustrated... it's just not going your way today... and you hit the shot 50 more times... just because...

that's heart... he wants it more than you...

just because you didn't see it.. doesn't mean it didn't happen

'Heart' is something that is rooted deep down inside an individual & comes from a place of which we do not 'really' know. Sometimes I think only those with 'heart' can recognize it when they 'see' it. It seems as though others simply have no comprehension, even of its' existence. The word 'character' was used in 'The Husler'. 'Heart' is a type of 'character', I think. When it comes right down to it & I have a choice to make, I'm choosing someone with 'heart'.

Just my humble opinion,