Do you think more skilled players are more intelligent than lesser skilled players?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Certainly not....Playing great pool is a sign of a "miss spent" (or "not made" spent) youth,":wink: and has nothing directly related to intelligence in the literal sense of the word.

Pocket Billiards if learned by experience, knowledge, and "emotional intelligence," not commonly taught in schools and institutions.
lindrum2.jpg

I do think you are one of the smartest players on earth though
Not nut hugging just stating my opinion

Hector3cushion

Hector
Silver Member
throughout history and in different sports underdogs (but more intelligent for the occasion) have won when nobody thought they would.

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are confusing intelligence with knowledge. Better pool players know how to win.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a theory going around that stupid people played real well because they only had one thought in their mind at a time. While there might be a little credence to that saying, it's not totally true. First, one must define what one means by "intelligence". Too many describe it only by what academics one has achieved. That has more to do with "schooling" than just plain "intelligence".

To me, intelligence in pool would equate more to being willing to learn the principles behind what works and what doesn't, and then utilizing those "facts" to make your own formulas for what to do. To me, that would make a much more "rounded" player, better able to adapt to different situations. Taking "if A does this, and B does that, then A+B should do C." Thereby coming up with something not individually taught. Sticking with just A does this, so I only know this way to do it, is not being intelligent. Not knowing the principles limits what one can do on the table.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
captain hook eating Thai food with chop sticks

I've got numerous friends who would score higher than me on an IQ test, and know the required angle to pot a ball, where the CB will go etc but when they try a shoot a shot their arms don't communicate with their brain. If you imagine captain hook eating Thai food with chop sticks you get the idea.

That's hilarious :rotflmao1:

captain-hook.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As in any other endeavor: some are smart, some are stupid, some have natural ability, some are savants, some are successful through sheer will power and number of hours.

Some are dumb but try and sound smart.

Lou Figueroa
one o' dem

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
captain hook eating Thai food with chop sticks

I've got numerous friends who would score higher than me on an IQ test, and know the required angle to pot a ball, where the CB will go etc but when they try a shoot a shot their arms don't communicate with their brain. If you imagine captain hook eating Thai food with chop sticks you get the idea.

Oops, double posted. I was "pre occupied" learning one of the "last guy's suggestions" on how to play better. LoL
police-officer9.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Personally, i think stupid people are less shark-able.

Heck, some of the idiots i've seen look like you could hit them on the head with a 2X4, and all they would do is BLINK, and scratch their head like they got bit by a mosquito, and keep shooting.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends on how one defines "intelligence", and as previously noted there are many kinds besides what we call "book smarts". The spatial perception necessary to play pool at a high level is in itself, without question, a type of intelligence. Further, few on this forum would disagree that every game of pool requires, to be played properly, a sophisticated process of problem-solving and decision-making whether one is running out or choosing the smart safety based on the percentages. Lastly, the successful warrior on the green or tournament blue felt is often the one with the best abilities in analyzing skill sets and managing human relations. How many of us know (or are) one of those people who are bright folks otherwise but can't negotiate anything but a losing game to save their life?

So yes, at least in some ways, at that particular time, your winning opponent may be "smarter" or more "schooled" than you are. It doesn't mean that you can necessarily trust them to write a coherent sentence or do your taxes, but it does mean that in certain forms of intelligence and/or talent necessary for sucess in the pool world, they may be "double" or "triple" smart.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
No .... I belive the game can be mastered by anyone willing to put in the time and effort needed to master it...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think a great player, like a great fighter, has to be smart enough.

But being smart isn't enough...that cue has to become another limb..
...no matter how smart you are, if you don't hit the ball well...
...you're going to play like a dummy.

A great player is an athletic nerd with OCD

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't have to have an IQ like Einstein to play top level pool, it certainly isn't rocket science. Good memory and tons of competitive play combined with at least average intelligence should serve someone perfectly well. At the end of the day, you can't think the ball in the pocket combined with moving the CB around for great position.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
as far as pocketing balls no, but you have to reason out things and be able to understand risk reward on shots and deduce the best path to take on running balls or playing safes.

if i see two players matching up i will bet on the smarter one.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends on how one defines "intelligence", and as previously noted there are many kinds besides what we call "book smarts". The spatial perception necessary to play pool at a high level is in itself, without question, a type of intelligence. Further, few on this forum would disagree that every game of pool requires, to be played properly, a sophisticated process of problem-solving and decision-making whether one is running out or choosing the smart safety based on the percentages. Lastly, the successful warrior on the green or tournament blue felt is often the one with the best abilities in analyzing skill sets and managing human relations. How many of us know (or are) one of those people who are bright folks otherwise but can't negotiate anything but a losing game to save their life?

So yes, at least in some ways, at that particular time, your winning opponent may be "smarter" or more "schooled" than you are. It doesn't mean that you can necessarily trust them to write a coherent sentence or do your taxes, but it does mean that in certain forms of intelligence and/or talent necessary for sucess in the pool world, they may be "double" or "triple" smart.

Smart post!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I believe that intelligence is important, perhaps number one on the list, but without certain other characteristics such as a willingness to succeed, then the pool player, as a whole, will not be complete.
Add to that equation a good memory, stamina, courage, honesty, and a host of other attributes that round out a good player, and the picture becomes more clear. :smile:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a slightly different question...

Does being "book" smart help or hurt in becoming a better player?

The two perspectives we hear the most are:

1. The highest level of play is achieved when we stop thinking and let our subconscious take over. Too much emphasis on technical detail can make it harder/impossible to stop thinking and execute.

On the other hand...

2. Our subconscious works better with more information. As long as we can turn off the "conscious computer" when necessary and let our subconscious take over, then the more knowledge the merrier.

pj
chgo

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a slightly different question...

Does being "book" smart help or hurt in becoming a better player?

The notion of "book smart" itself is a fallacy in the way that it is commonly meant and applied. It is a phrase often used by the uneducated to palliate their feelings of resentment toward more accomplished people.

With that aside, I witness knowledge inhibiting ability very often in my own students (doctors and medical students). The tendency is to over-think a problem when one has a great deal of knowledge to access. I think it's pretty common actually and likely a confounding component of performance in the cue sports as well.

Intelligence is one component of aptitude and performance in any endeavor but it is only one factor among others. Because there are other factors you will find a variety of levels of intelligence among those at the top of any field. However, it is a truism that accomplishment in any field is generally proportional with intelligence...even in fields that are very physical or athletic. In fact, it training my students in medicine I treat their preparation as an athletic endeavor, because it is exactly that.