Do you watch a lot of pool videos?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I'm currently addicted, and enjoy learning something new. I like to watch the ladies as well, some have a very mechanical style, but very good. Anything with Efren in it demands my attention. I'll look at Gorst, as I'v not come across him yet?

i suggest watching the 2019 US open final, also the world 10-ball final from that year. excellent pool matches.

PracticeChampion

I watch a few but if the players take 30 seconds on almost every shot,I'm gone.
Me too.
I don't understand why or what there looking at for so long. Except for the occasional safety battle, the time it takes to walk to the table is generally enough time to know what I'm going to do.

If it's down to the last ball to win 50k or whatever and they need an extension to settle the nerves fine but maxing out the time nearly every damn shot is ridiculous

George the Greek

I keep falling asleep when watching the matches on YouTube waiting for them to make up their minds. I get a chuckle on the hand apology for fluking a ball or a hook. I doubt anyone really means it as I know I couldn't care if I did it. It's part of the luck factor in pool

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your opinion which 3 players seemingly never miss? I'm assuming it's Gorst, Filler, and...who's the 3rd name?

Top players to make a tough shot and then finish a rack for me, Filler, Shaw, Strickland (maybe not this decade but in general), Melling. Gorst is up there for steady shooting for sure, but maybe it's his play style that seems to me is not as scary as the others I listed. Like when Shaw is linking up a 8 foot straight in against the rail draw shot, it seems like the opponent is ready to lose the rack, but for others they would feel they have a good chance.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too.
I don't understand why or what there looking at for so long. Except for the occasional safety battle, the time it takes to walk to the table is generally enough time to know what I'm going to do.

If it's down to the last ball to win 50k or whatever and they need an extension to settle the nerves fine but maxing out the time nearly every damn shot is ridiculous
On YouTube the right and left arrow keys jump forward and back 5 seconds. The 'J' and 'L' keys jump forward and backward 10 seconds.

I watch matches with my fingers on those keys and just jump ahead to the shot unless there is an interesting situation and the commentary is good.

If the match is live on Youtube I'll sometimes pause it while I go do something else so I have some buffer built up to speed through it when I get back.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Me too.

It's because the rules permit them to have a pre-shot routine (inclusive of shot design) that takes nearly thirty seconds, so many of them both practice and play at that pace.

Agreed that it should rarely take thirty seconds, but history has shown that the majority of pros take as much time as the rules permit, and when matches are played without the shot clock, sometimes a race to eleven takes up to four hours, even when strong players are doing the shooting.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's because the rules permit them to have a pre-shot routine (inclusive of shot design) that takes nearly thirty seconds, so many of them both practice and play at that pace.

Agreed that it should rarely take thirty seconds, but history has shown that the majority of pros take as much time as the rules permit, and when matches are played without the shot clock, sometimes a race to eleven takes up to four hours, even when strong players are doing the shooting.
This is why I advocate no count. You have a set of, and specific sequence of, tasks to perform; not just the one shot.