Does a 1-piece, all-maple butt make any sense?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I like things that are very plain and simple. My current cue is an OB121 because it's about as plain a cue as I could find.

I'm considering getting an extra butt (I've got 4 OB shafts) and wondering if it's possible/advisable to get an all-maple butt. No decorations except perhaps a "butt ring" if that's advisable from a construction-integrity standpoint. Needs to have a bumper.

It seems like even with the plainest cues, there's usually separate pieces for forearm, handle and butt sleeve. Is that necessary from a materials or construction standpoint?

I'd appreciate your thoughts about whether this is something I should even consider. Thanks.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I like things that are very plain and simple. My current cue is an OB121 because it's about as plain a cue as I could find.

I'm considering getting an extra butt (I've got 4 OB shafts) and wondering if it's possible/advisable to get an all-maple butt. No decorations except perhaps a "butt ring" if that's advisable from a construction-integrity standpoint. Needs to have a bumper.

It seems like even with the plainest cues, there's usually separate pieces for forearm, handle and butt sleeve. Is that necessary from a materials or construction standpoint?

I'd appreciate your thoughts about whether this is something I should even consider. Thanks.

I have a couple of old growth 1 piece maple butts. They play great. Very plain, but killer players.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

oh yes, it will be a good butt, a very good player cue with an unusual aesthetic. But mostly on the light side when without any weight bolt.

I use a one piece BEM butt to play not only carom small games (straight rail/balkline) with +/- 4.4oz shafts , but i use this butt (12.6 oz) as breaker too (with the appropriate shaft , 5,2 oz ) . an excellent cue in both configurations.
here it is :

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All my life I have loved the cue in the picture below. It is a Martin that Lassiter had. I did own a Martin once and played with it till it got stolen I only recently made a copy of the Lassiter cue in the picture for myself. The picture is not very good I know.

http://thepoolscene.com/pool-billiards-promotional/luther-wimpy-lassiter-pool-table-display

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've made about 1/2 dozen of them

i like the way they play, i make them sometimes without joint rings and bumperless, with a metal pin. usually put the weight in the middle of the handle area, then core behind it.

pictured is one with a wood pin, have to use joint rings with a wood pin.moose antler at butt and joint, bumperless i think they look and play great.

Attachments

• P9081755.jpg
    P9081755.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 583

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want a lighter weight cue it is okay. If not the balance will be a little back heavy or front heavy depending on how you add the weight.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked a local cuemaker to build me an all maple cue and he told me he wouldn't do it, because it would play like crap. Luckily, I never wasted a penny on any of his other cues.

An all maple cue should be just fine.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kenny koo's showed me his player and it's a one piece maple cue. Linen wrap, Brass pin, simple ring at the buttsleeve. I think he said it was his first cue, but if he sees this, I'm sure he can comment.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Many thanks for your thoughts and experience.

It sounds like my primary concern should be the weight and weight distribution (I don't like a butt-heavy cue). But glad to hear that there aren't any fatal flaws in the idea.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bdorman

Did you not read my post. I drill into into the handle area then depending how I want.the butt balance I place the weight then a wood dowel. I can make the cue netural balance or forward balance or really forward ballance. I like the weight in the handle as also hate butt heavy cues