Does anyone else have this break aiming issue?

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
I believe my post is all the more valid when you don't have to worry about swerve. Like you said, on the break all you are concerned with is squirt. That being the case, your pivot point could possibly come into play.

Let's say you are breaking and you are aiming for a full hit on the one ball. Let's also assume you are bridging exactly at your cue's pivot point. Lastly, let's assume due to the nature of the break shot, you aren't concerned with cue ball swerve. Now say that you miss hit the cue ball just slightly. You now effectively have a different shot line, that being a slightly off center hit on the one ball. However, due to bridging at the pivot point, this new shot line is offset by the cue ball squirt and you still get a full hit on the one ball.

This is my understanding of a cue's pivot point. What am I missing?

You are quite correct with your explanation, in theory.

My only concern would be that I believe the pivot point is not exactly the same at all speeds, so this method would require the breaker to maintain a very accurate break speed.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Hi CreeDo,

I know that not everyone was access to a high speed camera, but if you can borrow one for a day, it will reveal volumes of information about your break.

I tend to agree with most of the responses in this thread. I know my own tendency is to put a little unwanted right English on the ball when I break. I break from the right side, so this tends to squirt my CB to the left, an exact mirror image of your illustration.

Observing the residual spin on the cue ball is usually a good indicator, but keep in mind that the CB will definitely pick up sidespin from the head ball if it doesn't hit it straight on.

In your case, if you are putting a tiny bit of left on the CB, then hitting slightly on the right side of the head ball, the collision-induced spin could definitely cancel out the left spin, resulting in a CB with no discernible sidespin after the break. It could even end up with right spin, giving you a false indication of what's happening on the break.

-Blake

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
I've had this forever, and I've just adapted to it.
Basically when I break from the rail in 9b (on the left side)
the cue ball always goes a touch to the right of where I'm aiming.

I never figured out if it's my stroke or my eyes/head position.
I've tried messing with both and can't figure it out.
Doesn't happen on the other side.

I aim to hit the 1 a hair to the left of dead square.
If I succeed the 1 often goes in the side.

But usually I end up hitting to the right a bit,
and 'accidentally on purpose' hit the one square.
The wing ball often goes in that case.

Occasionally it's so bad I'll even back cut the 1 and send the cue ball
almost to the opposite side.

I've drawn below what I mean. Red is intended line, black is often
my actual line. The break is pretty successful anyway but it's always bugged me
that I apparently can't break straight even though I shoot straight. ish.

3NJo67j.jpg

Hey bud,
For me what I was doing without realizing it was sighting thru my non-dominant eye sometimes on the break...when you're having this problem, line up the break shot like you would normally do...then, before you shoot, close one eye...and look at the shot...look to see if it looks like a dead on hit. ...now close the other eye, and look to see if it is dead on.

Find out which eye is your dominant eye, and look thru THAT EYE only, to see if it looks like you're lined up right. Make sure that your dominant eye is over the cue stick :)
Helped me anyway:thumbup:

Also, the advice to check the cueball is a good one. Just chalk before every break, so it leaves a chalk mark.

Good luck

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Also, the advice to check the cueball is a good one. Just chalk before every break, so it leaves a chalk mark.

That reminds me of one other thing. Chalk up the break cue nice and even. If you're trying to hit center ball, the contact point on the top should be at the center of the tip. After you break, keep your grip hand on the cue without rotating it. Look at the tip and you should see a small circle that indicates which part of the tip contacted the CB. That might provide another clue.

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you lefty?
im righty, break from the right and occasionally have the same problem. I'm not sure if it's perception or stroke or stance.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Here is a little tid-bit. OB break shafts aren't designed for breaking off the rail, the taper runs out too fast. This can cause some unseen effects, until the end result. They are working on the shafts to lengthen the taper. Ope bridge is ok, but not a closed one.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first guess, without seeing your break shot delivery, would be this. You are probably rotating into the shot in an effort to develop power. That can cause the cue to cross the Shot Line.

Take your video camera & shoot some video, then put it out here for the masses to critique.

Good Luck

Last edited: