Does "spinning the ball in" increase your shooting margin of error?

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've been playing more regularly the past few weeks, I've noticed that I've been subconsciously spinning more balls in for certain cut shots, where position isn't a big concern. When I say "spinning a ball in", I'm talking about applying outside english that not only compensates for any CIT (contact induced throw), but even additional outside english such that the extra spin actually throws the OB at a greater angle toward the pocket.

Why would I tend to do this? Here's an interesting thought. Does spinning a ball in actually increase your shooting margin of error on a cut shot (error in terms of where the CB can contact the OB to pocket the shot)? ...... Any thoughts?

It's probably because you don't trust your aim, so you're applying spin because you think it'll help you pocket. It may have become a habit now, to the point where you'll do it subconsciously. I don't think it increases your margin of error because you have only so much pocket space available to the OB, and whether you spin or not, either way you have only x amount of contact on the OB. All that happens is the variables of the contact points have shifted when you spin. Also, using an unusual amount of spin means you have to deal with deflection which makes matters worse.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think the new question becomes.... approximately how much outside is required on various cut shots to get the maximum margin of error.
The "exact" answer to that question can be found in Diagram 2 of my January '07 BD article. A good point of reference is a 1/2-ball hit ... it requires 40% English. For illustrations of percentage English, see Diagram 3 of my January '08 BD article.

i guess this is why we practice and play under pressure.... to figure this stuff out-- we just dont know it.
Agreed ... you still need to practice even if you "know" the information.

Regards,
Dave

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely, it helps especially if you are playing on a table with alot of humidity increasing the amount of skid.

But if a player doesn't know how to adjust with the english on the ball there would be no advantage. In fact they might miss some shots that they normally would make using the spin.

Many tournament I've been in, if I didn't force the balls in a little with the english I wouldn't have done very well, in fact that is the reason most of the players lost in these tournaments. One skid can lose you the game and the match.

And you never know when it could happen.

I was playing Tim from Faribault, Mn in the Seco Varoni tournament. They only let 32 Players in this thing every year and it is always filled up months ahead of time.

Tim has me beaten in my second match. All he has to do is cut the ball to the left into the side pocket hitting half a ball to make it. Cue ball is about 1 foot from the object ball and the object ball is about 6 inches from the side pocket. Not a tough shot at all.

He used a little bit of left english to keep the cue ball from going further to the right to get a better shot at his next ball. The object ball skidded right into the rail. it was horrible.

Had he put right english on the cue ball he could have went 2 rails and still had a great shot at the next ball. This would have avoided the skid altogether.

If Tim wins this match I'm done.

I won the tournament.

Bottom line. Learn how to help these balls in the holes and it will increase your chances of avoiding these tournament ending skids.

You never know when it will happen so prevention is the best remedy. Forcing the ball in the hole is the only known cure that I know and it works................

Have a great day geno.........

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My name is Mitch and I'm a lifelong spinner. However, my consistency has gone up since I started playing more centerball, especially when on foreign equipment or playing off the wall.

Also, in the good-ole-days, tables were slower and harder to move whitey around. On today's fast cloth centerball or minimal english works fine.

Dr Dave's articles on CIT have been most helpful. :thumbup:

Last edited:

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
Jsp, I don't think there is any real advantage when you factor in the added complications of squirt and swerve.

Hitting thicker does reduce the "geometric" margin of error, but not that much. Throw compensation is pretty small as well. The greatest "automatic" correction to a cut angle error that throw provides is when the balls end up rolling across each other on a stun shot. Here you get the most variation in throw with variations in surface speed. For some cut angle A and english spin Wz, where V is the cueball's speed and R its radius, the relative surface speed between the cueball and object ball on a stun shot is:

Vs = Vsin(A) - RWz

If this surface speed isn't too great, the balls end up rolling during impact. In this case, 1/7'th of this surface speed becomes the sideways throw velocity of the object ball. Since the object ball's forward speed is Vcos(A), the throw angle T is:

T = Atan[(1/7)(Vsin(A)-RWz)/Vcos(A)] = Atan[(1/7)(sin(A)-RWz/V)/cos(A)]

For simplicity, let's assume that RWz/V=sin(A), so that the surface speed and throw would be zero if we actually cut the ball at angle A. But instead, we cut it at angle A' (keeping RWz the same). Now we have a throw angle T', and the difference is:

T' - T = T' - 0 = Atan[(1/7)(sin(A')-sin(A))/cos(A')]

So if we overcut what should have been a 30 degree cut by 4 degrees, the throw compensation would be:

T' - T = T' - 0 = Atan[(1/7)(sin(34)-sin(30))/cos(34)] = 0.58 degree

The correction is about 1/7'th of the cut angle error. Well it is something, but is it worth the squirt and swerve stuff? And you get even less correction if the cueball has draw or follow on it or the spin/speed ratio RWz/V is not very close to sin(A). Since that cosine in the denominator gets very small as you approach 90 degree cuts, it may seem like there might be a real advantage there. But the unfortunate fact is that you have to get the spin/speed ratio RWz/V closer and closer to sin(A) to get the balls to roll across each other. (I know you're not actually prescribing getting the ratio very close, but it gives us an idea of what the maximum correction can be.)

Interesting idea though, and maybe it bears further thought.

Jim

This game is a lil' less fun for me now....thanks! :confused:

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My name is Mitch and I'm a lifelong spinner. However, my consistency has gone up since I started playing more centerball, especially when on foreign equipment or playing off the wall.

Also, in the good-ole-days, tables were slower and harder to move whitey around. On today's fast cloth centerball or minimal english works fine.

Dr Dave's articles on CIT have been most helpful. :thumbup:

CIT? Link?

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for revitalizing this thread, I think I joined the forum not long after this post and therefore missed it. It's actually been a question I've wondered about and asked about for years and years…

Since I'm primarily self taught, I had to learn from some of the classic books out there, watching matches, asking a few questions here and there and tons of practice. I've always spun the ball a lot, sometimes too much, but felt comfortable that way. Maybe hedging a little one way or the other felt better than trying to hit center ball but accidentally putting some english on the ball, where if I used a 1/2 tip of outside on cuts if I missed a little I still had outside on the ball. Maybe I liked thinking of aiming at the ball a little fuller than necessary. Also several times I heard or read about collision induced throw, or cling, and was so worried about it I was determined to negate it. This was of course before some of the excellent technical information we have now.

I've asked many good players about this, and have never gotten a straight answer. A few months ago, I started playing with more center ball at the advice of Fujiwhopper in an effort to get my game back after a layoff. Soon after I started playing with CTE which really focuses more on a pure center ball hit, so the two complemented each other. I noticed something - whether it was subconscious or not, all of these 15 - 30 degree cuts that I had always spun in by hitting slightly fuller and using english, I was able to aim in just about the same spot with no english and still make the ball. It still feels weird, but it works. For me at least, I found that the difference in aiming was very slight and I easily adjusted to trying to force myself to hit more of these shots with a pure center ball stroke unless english was necessary for position. I feel my game is getting better the more comfortable I get with the center ball approach because I am able to eliminate some variables that come along with the english approach, especially since occasionally my little bit of helping english would turn into a full tip or more…

I have also gone through a period where I went too far - not using enough english when needed for position, or to get the cue ball into a good angle going in or coming out of a rail, or to offset the cling effect on a medium cut shot when hitting it softly. On these I've learned to use a bit of english or just hit a little thinner than I think. But now that I'm very comfortable with CTE and adjusting for english etc., I find myself going back to using a bit of outside on certain types of cut shots. Weird.

I still think that especially with distance, using center ball is probably the cleanest and most repeatable way of making normal cut shots, especially when using any sort of english or power diminishes the accuracy of the shot. But on the typical 2 or 3 foot shots, especially like you hope to have on the game ball, it seems that if you are comfortable shooting the shot with a bit of outside english to eliminate skids or help the CB into the 2 rail and out pattern or just because you like to do it that way, it's probably not going to lower your pocketing percentage enough to warrant having to focus on not doing it any more.

Scott

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
As I've been playing more regularly the past few weeks, I've noticed that I've been subconsciously spinning more balls in for certain cut shots, where position isn't a big concern. When I say "spinning a ball in", I'm talking about applying outside english that not only compensates for any CIT (contact induced throw), but even additional outside english such that the extra spin actually throws the OB at a greater angle toward the pocket.

Why would I tend to do this? Here's an interesting thought. Does spinning a ball in actually increase your shooting margin of error on a cut shot (error in terms of where the CB can contact the OB to pocket the shot)? Compare this to the ideal case with zero friction. I haven't thought this through tremendously, but it seems to make sense that for certain conditions and cut shot angles, spinning a ball in might actually increase your margin of error. Any thoughts?

By margin of error, you mean the area on the object ball that the cb can impact and the obect ball will still go in the pocket, then no. This area is only affected by the distance,angle the obect ball is from the pocket also the pocket size.

I posted a drawing that shows this. I refer to this area as the impact zone.

On really thin cut shots, the transfer of energy from the cb to ob is not as great as a head on shot. The outside spin on real thin cut shots adds to the engery transferred to get the ob into the pocket.

enzo

Banned
By margin of error, you mean the area on the object ball that the cb can impact and the obect ball will still go in the pocket, then no. This area is only affected by the distance,angle the obect ball is from the pocket also the pocket size.

I posted a drawing that shows this. I refer to this area as the impact zone.

On really thin cut shots, the transfer of energy from the cb to ob is not as great as a head on shot. The outside spin on real thin cut shots adds to the engery transferred to get the ob into the pocket.

the problem with this thinking is..... effective margin of error has to do with "buffers" i guess id call them. i dont know, i consider this info priceless, i dont like to go on and on, but a buffer just isnt there with centerball. if u catch a tad of inside on a cut with center ball, depending on your cue and the distance from the ob, you can aim perfect and miss by a diamond. with outside spin (or "natural" as many players have aptly phrased it) if you catch it with a little more spin.... can u see how that may counteract? more spin=more deflection=spins the ball in a bit more (in the direction u need). the opposite would be true as well, a little less natural than u wanted, a little less deflection, and a little less "spin in". i dont know, to be honest this is one of those things ill be kinda glad if people dont understand it..... but the proof is in the pudding.... i see every great player shoots the vast majority of 9 balls with natural, outside spin.

ok, here i go.... the truth is, also.... outside CAN (not does) increase your margin of error on many cut shots (i woulndt say all). so, in unison with the above mentioned priciples, the following applies ALSO (=double advantage). with natural, if you hit the "correct" spot, the ball will be pocketed. if you overcut it a tad it will be pocketed (this is because the ob is NOT "spun in" as much with thinner hits. and with a thick hit, u have a much greater opportunity to pocket the ball. so if u can understand all this (i dont claim to be the don juan of explaining pool), then id think youd be convinced about it all. but if youre not thats ok too... keep hitting center ball. i said double advantage, perhaps it goes to triple or thereabouts cus once you see how well this works youre so much more confident in knowing this info.

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
the problem with this thinking is..... effective margin of error has to do with "buffers" i guess id call them. i dont know, i consider this info priceless, i dont like to go on and on, but a buffer just isnt there with centerball. if u catch a tad of inside on a cut with center ball, depending on your cue and the distance from the ob, you can aim perfect and miss by a diamond. with outside spin (or "natural" as many players have aptly phrased it) if you catch it with a little more spin.... can u see how that may counteract? more spin=more deflection=spins the ball in a bit more (in the direction u need). the opposite would be true as well, a little less natural than u wanted, a little less deflection, and a little less "spin in". i dont know, to be honest this is one of those things ill be kinda glad if people dont understand it..... but the proof is in the pudding.... i see every great player shoots the vast majority of 9 balls with natural, outside spin.

ok, here i go.... the truth is, also.... outside CAN (not does) increase your margin of error on many cut shots (i woulndt say all). so, in unison with the above mentioned priciples, the following applies ALSO (=double advantage). with natural, if you hit the "correct" spot, the ball will be pocketed. if you overcut it a tad it will be pocketed (this is because the ob is NOT "spun in" as much with thinner hits. and with a thick hit, u have a much greater opportunity to pocket the ball. so if u can understand all this (i dont claim to be the don juan of explaining pool), then id think youd be convinced about it all. but if youre not thats ok too... keep hitting center ball. i said double advantage, perhaps it goes to triple or thereabouts cus once you see how well this works youre so much more confident in knowing this info.

Did you search for my impact zone drawing. I'm betting you didn't.

There is no connection bewteen what spin is used and the size of the impact zone. Its the same size for centerball or extreme side spin.

The size is determined by distance from the pocket and the angle to the pocket the ob is. What determines how much of the zone can be hit is determined by the cb angle to the ob. Spin has nothing to do with the size.

You really should have checked the drawing out before you replied.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
My thoughts concerning using outside English to "spin balls in," backed up by lots of resources, can be found here:

Outside English (OE) can be used to reduce (and even eliminate) throw and cling, but it can be difficult to judge the amount of English required for a particular cut angle (although, people can get good at this). Also, with English comes squirt and swerve, compensation for which can be challenging (although, people can get good at this). You need to have feel and understanding for many effects when using English. Many (if not all) of them are summarized and demonstrated here:

A case can actually be made that inside English might be a better approach for dealing with throw than outside English. For more info, see:

Outside English can certainly be a good choice when trying to hold the cue ball (sometimes). For more info, see:

Also, if cling is a concern (e.g., with old, worn, dirty balls; or if you are pro, where cling on one shot can mean the difference in a match), then "spinning the ball in" might be a good approach.

Regards,
Dave

Dave, your conclusions seem to perfectly match my recent experiences switching between many different venues with a wide range of dirty/clean balls. However, I wonder if there is one more factor nobody has considered yet... How significantly does OB spin affect the range of angles a pocket will accept a ball at? On a cut shot, where dead center ball is used, the OB obviously acquires CIE. More importantly, this CIE is outside english which in theory could cause balls to "jar" if hit into the pocket facing/horn, where as with no english the pocket might accept the same ball at the same angle. Obviously this effect would only matter for a limited number of situations, particularly in situations where any OB english would not have worn off before reaching the pocket.

This is not directed at Dr. Dave, but to the thread in general: On the debate about spinning the ball in, I also wanted to respond to the argument that squirt/swerve are bigger factors than throw. We know that swerve will probably not be a factor, on a firm hit, so lets eliminate that from the argument for now. This is really about squirt vs throw, and what leads to pocketing balls more consistently. I do agree that squirt CAN have more of an impact on the final trajectory of the OB. However, it's logically unsound (even though it may be true) to conclude that this means squirt is more inconsistent. If we consider what factors determine the amount of squirt (cue stick, amount of english), and what causes throw (friction coefficient of balls), it might make more sense to say throw is more inconsistent. After all, players usually shoot with the same cue regardless of where they are, but rarely do players bring their own balls. A player can learn the squirt characteristics of their cue, but it would be impossible to learn the throw characteristics of all balls everywhere. To add to that, squirt is a factor of the game that players are forced to learn. They may be much better at adjusting for squirt than they are at guessing how sticky a given set of balls is and how much a shot will throw.

Given what I just said, it makes perfect sense to substitute an unknown and unpredictable factor (throw) for a known and predictable one (squirt).

I did say lets ignore swerve for the sake of argument, now I want to discuss that a bit. I think the true answer to the whole spin vs over-cut debate is somewhere in the middle. Some shots should be spun, some should be over-cut. The answer to which is right probably depends on the controlling factors of the shot, such as cut angle, speed and CB to OB distance. On a shot where swerve is going to come into play, I think spinning a ball in is more perilous. I think the same thing on very hard (fast) shots, where squirt is extremely large. There is probably a middle ground somewhere, and it is most likely dependent on how well a player compensates for squirt. So this answer may be different for every player.

One final thought on my theory of how OB english affects the angle the pockets will accept balls at. If we assume the theory is correct, then most likely the english will favour one side of the pocket more, and the other side less than when the OB has no english. For example, in Diag 1 below, if this shot is hit with center cue ball, the long rail side of the pocket should be more favorable (than with no OB english) since the CIE will spin the OB into the pocket. Where as the short rail side of the pocket will spin the OB out of the pocket. Now consider the shot in Diag 2, where hitting the short rail side of the pocket will cause the OB to spin in, and the long rail side will cause it to spin out. In both scenarios, the pocket has effectively "shifted" ever so slightly. Interestingly, depending on the geometry (such as OB approach angle, how the pockets are cut, etc.), the additional range of angles that accept/reject a ball on one side of the pocket due to OB english, does not have to equal the range of angles on the other side. This means that depending on the exact shot, the pocket can be effectively smaller or larger (in addition to shifting as described above).

If you truly wanted to be as consistent as possible using the cut/throw method, then you would want to aim at the center of the effective pocket (after compensating for throw) to give yourself the largest margin of error. I think in a lot of cases it might be easier to simply gear the OB when practical, than to consider how the CIE will affect the angles the pocket accepts balls at. Of course, it's obviously best to know the in's and out's of both methods.

Diagram 1:

CIE1.jpg

Diagram 2:

CIE3.jpg

Last edited:

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
i cant answer for pros but i generally shoot the 9 with the intent of taking the cue ball to center table afterwards for 2 reasons first it makes me think of the 9 ball as a routine shot like every other shot where i am playing position afterwards there by adding no additional pressure to that shot and secondly to reduce any chance of an accidental scratch.