Does the chalks affect the amount of spin?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are some chalks better at imparting spin on the cue or they are all the same as long as you chalk before each shot?

WobblyStroke

As long as you stick with trusted common chalks, you're fine. Some chalks are indeed shite but excluding those dollar store brands, any chalk will do.

dquarasr

Registered
In my limited experience I got way more miscues with Silver Cup than with Masters. (At home I’ve switched to Taom V10.)

But I didn’t notice a difference in spin.

SeniorTom

In my limited experience I got way more miscues with Silver Cup than with Masters. (At home I’ve switched to Taom V10.)

But I didn’t notice a difference in spin.
Considering price, effectiveness, and all available chalks, is Taom a 'good buy'?

dquarasr

Registered
Considering price, effectiveness, and all available chalks, is Taom a 'good buy'?
I average about 1/2 hour per day. I bought this piece August 26. I can’t even tell it’s been used.

I usually chalk only once per rack. Yes, my cloth is red and the chalk is light green. Doesn’t matter. There’s virtually no chalk on the table. My hands no longer turn red from Master’s red I was using. And I rarely need to clean the cue ball. I don’t see me ever using anything else on my home table.
1672346322911.jpeg

Zerksies

I've been using mine since august. It's clean on my table i can get plenty on shots without needing to reapply. It's $20 chalk i mean most are going to bitch when they get master chalk for free

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Yeah, an excellent value as long as you don't lose it. I have my original cube that I've used the hell out of for maybe a year and it's at least 2/3 still there. I generally play 3-4 times a week about 4-6 hours at a time. I think it should last even the most hardcore pool player over a year, maybe even 2 years.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I average about 1/2 hour per day. I bought this piece August 26. I can’t even tell it’s been used.

I usually chalk only once per rack. Yes, my cloth is red and the chalk is light green. Doesn’t matter. There’s virtually no chalk on the table. My hands no longer turn red from Master’s red I was using. And I rarely need to clean the cue ball. I don’t see me ever using anything else on my home table.
View attachment 678245
Similar experience with V - 10 lasts well, but I am afraid of loosing.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 678245
I can't wrap my head around chalking once a rack, or even chalking every several shots. How does that work? Is it equally as effective for every shot and then suddenly it loses it's effectiveness? Does it gradually lose it's effectiveness? Or does it never lose it's effectiveness and you just pile on the chalk because the rack is over, or a certain number of shots have passed, and you feel it's time to chalk?

The thing about chalking with Master's chalk is that you are continuously bringing the tip to a particular state that you are familiar with. Most players who use a chalk like Master's, don't go more than 2 shots without chalking, so the consistency is always there.

dquarasr

Registered
I can't wrap my head around chalking once a rack, or even chalking every several shots. How does that work? Is it equally as effective for every shot and then suddenly it loses it's effectiveness? Does it gradually lose it's effectiveness? Or does it never lose it's effectiveness and you just pile on the chalk because the rack is over, or a certain number of shots have passed, and you feel it's time to chalk?

The thing about chalking with Master's chalk is that you are continuously bringing the tip to a particular state that you are familiar with. Most players who use a chalk like Master's, don't go more than 2 shots without chalking, so the consistency is always there.
Depends on how much spin I am using. If I’m using mostly center, I don’t worry about how much chalk is on the tip. After 5-6-7 shots, if I have to be more than a little bit off center, I’ll chalk up. Otherwise, I usually just look at the tip to see how much coverage is still there. If it looks thin, I’ll chalk.

I will also chalk if I need to make a decision. The act has a calming effect.

Fran, may I assume you have not yet used Taom V10?

Even after an entire rack, my rate of miscues is about the same as when I use Masters and chalk before every shot. (I typically miscue on heavy draw when I am on the limit, and in competition when the CB is frozen on the cushion and my next shot needs follow; I try to keep my cue as level as possible and sometimes I should jack up a little).

boogieman

For me it's usually take a quick peek at the tip, if it's still coated well I know I don't have to chalk. I might still chalk if I'm still thinking about the rack. I've also went times where I just chalk when leaving my chair to go to the table, and leave the chalk at the chair. One application of V10 will last an entire rack of 9b or more, once a turn is plenty.

As a test with V10 I asked a good player to chalk up once and do the most extreme english shots he could manage and he shot 16 without miscuing. He was doing crazy spin shots and full table draws. He finally chalked again because he said it was getting in his head not having chalked so long. The tip was still coated well.

Chalking can be a great part of a PSR but in all honesty as long as there is chalk on the tip it's ok. Not having to chalk for me lets me actually examine the tip better and I feel less rushed, more leisurely of a pace. In my opinion, most miscues aren't caused by lack of chalk, but a poor stroke, or trying something too tough and tensing up on the stroke. The only times I've miscued in the last year was when I was super tense about a shot, even after chalking well. It's rare that I miscue, but it's always some super important shot and I just butcher the delivery. Playing scared/tense is no good. No amount of chalk could save a stroke that bad. And when I miscue I've generally chalked before hand because I know it's a shot that's making me damned nervous. Also when dealing with back issues and my stroke was mechanically off, just having to force things with stiff muscles and through pain.

Chalk is chalk, there's no magic in it but I find it more reliable, something I can trust, which frees up some mental game to actually deliver a good stroke. Heck, If I'm using Masters my focus is so bad that if I see blue on my hand (even from a dirty table) I start wondering if my chalk somehow magically fell off the tip. ;)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on how much spin I am using. If I’m using mostly center, I don’t worry about how much chalk is on the tip. After 5-6-7 shots, if I have to be more than a little bit off center, I’ll chalk up. Otherwise, I usually just look at the tip to see how much coverage is still there. If it looks thin, I’ll chalk.

I will also chalk if I need to make a decision. The act has a calming effect.

Fran, may I assume you have not yet used Taom V10?

Even after an entire rack, my rate of miscues is about the same as when I use Masters and chalk before every shot. (I typically miscue on heavy draw when I am on the limit, and in competition when the CB is frozen on the cushion and my next shot needs follow; I try to keep my cue as level as possible and sometimes I should jack up a little).
I tried Predator chalk. It takes me out of any possibility of being in the zone when I shoot. I don't like the idea of having to consciously periodically check my tip to see if it needs chalk. And I suspect that chalking too often is not a good idea either, so not only are you in the heat of competition, but now you have to inspect your tip and make chalking decisions as well. I incorporate Master chalk into my PSR and I can just play and forget about it.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried Predator chalk. It takes me out of any possibility of being in the zone when I shoot. I don't like the idea of having to consciously periodically check my tip to see if it needs chalk. And I suspect that chalking too often is not a good idea either, so not only are you in the heat of competition, but now you have to inspect your tip and make chalking decisions as well. I incorporate Master chalk into my PSR and I can just play and forget about it.
that's all you need.

boogieman

Predator is actually some of the worst chalk you can buy (I'm prepared to be crucified for saying it). It's dirty, too fine grained and doesn't coat or stick at all. Blue dots all over the CB. Masters can give predator the 5 and out.

You got a great PSR, that's the thing. PSR is a personal thing, checking the tip gets me in the mindset, ok my tip is perfect time to play billiards. For others it could likely be a distraction. I'm so ADHD that small distractions like looking at the tip actually gives me a small break to help focus my mind on the upcoming task. You definitely know what you're doing, I'm just here with the focus of a rabid potato trying my best! :)

I used to chalk after every shot with V10 and it didn't hurt anything, I just switched up my PSR since I'm so easily distracted. But chalk is chalk, other than cleanliness there's not much difference.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator is actually some of the worst chalk you can buy (I'm prepared to be crucified for saying it). It's dirty, too fine grained and doesn't coat or stick at all. Blue dots all over the CB. Masters can give predator the 5 and out.

You got a great PSR, that's the thing. PSR is a personal thing, checking the tip gets me in the mindset, ok my tip is perfect time to play billiards. For others it could likely be a distraction. I'm so ADHD that small distractions like looking at the tip actually gives me a small break to help focus my mind on the upcoming task. You definitely know what you're doing, I'm just here with the focus of a rabid potato trying my best! :)

I used to chalk after every shot with V10 and it didn't hurt anything, I just switched up my PSR since I'm so easily distracted. But chalk is chalk, other than cleanliness there's not much difference.
I'll take your word for it regarding the quality of the chalk. I don't know enough about those chalks to be able to compare them. My issue is the whole idea of when to chalk or not to chalk.

Master chalk does tend to get all over you. I'm just not convinced as to why I should keep adding layers of V10 chalk after every shot when it hasn't yet worn off. Cleanliness aside, there has to be some kind of adverse effect.

Reactions: bbb

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use taom v10 chalk, and inspect the tip after just about every shot to see if it needs a green hit. I did the same with master.
taom is clean and works well for me. only thing I don't like is that when I miscue, the taom sometimes get burned onto the cb.
re: spin, I don't notice a difference between master and taom, tho in my head, I feel like the taom kinds of "grips" the cb well..

Reactions: bbb

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use taom v10 chalk, and inspect the tip after just about every shot to see if it needs a green hit. I did the same with master.
taom is clean and works well for me. only thing I don't like is that when I miscue, the taom sometimes get burned onto the cb.
re: spin, I don't notice a difference between master and taom, tho in my head, I feel like the taom kinds of "grips" the cb well..
See, that's the thing that I love about Master Chalk. You can build it into your PSR. It's so ingrained in my unconscious mind, that I can even go two or three small shots without chalking and then reach for the chalk right after without even thinking about it. Or if you're down on a shot and suddenly get up off of it ---- players like myself with chalking in our PSR will chalk again. An extra layer of Master won't change anything. I'm not so sure about the other longer lasting chalk.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

View attachment 678245
''I usually chalk only once per rack.''

Your above comment.... I'd not recommend this.
I'm not throwing mud; I just think chalking, is a good habit to form.

My realizations from these past two years getting back into competing.

Layered tips Must be chalked more.

Why?
Exposed layers of glue/angle cut, create slippage.
In the past few years, I've seen the weirdest, straight in Extremely simple shots have miscues occur.
Never saw that during the Lassiter years.

When this occurs, the expression of the pro is the tell.
The player knew they did everything right.
Equipment failure, or?

Also, if you go to a real pool room nowadays, the wear patterns on the house chalk cubes is a tell.
When you're playing for money, it's not that big a deal to chalk up more, house chalk is free. :)

HNY

bm