Don Willis vs. Vernon Elliot

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These two guys were top players that pretty much stayed under the radar, not playing in tournaments. There have been some threads about both of them. The question I was wondering about is (for those that saw these guys play) who was the stronger player?

Wiki shows that Willis was born in 1909, so he was probably 30 years older than Elliot. I'm guessing they never matched up.

There's probably not many members here that saw both play, considering that they played so long ago. Maybe a few on here will offer an opinion.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw both of them play, Willis quite a bit more. On reputation Don would be the better player. I suspect Elliott would avoid a player Willis' speed. He was too smart to play anyone that good. They definitely knew each other. Doubtful Willis could have beaten Elliott at Bank Pool, but he was too smart to play him at that game as well. This one is a stalemate for lack of a better term. :cool:

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don Willis

Hello Jay

My old man told used to tell me stories about Don Willis and the way he left you feeling after he took your money was you always felt you had a chance as you were handing him your money.

Maybe you could share a story or two about one of the greatest ever to play..

Thank you
Richard

I saw both of them play, Willis quite a bit more. On reputation Don would be the better player. I suspect Elliott would avoid a player Willis' speed. He was too smart to play anyone that good. They definitely knew each other. Doubtful Willis could have beaten Elliott at Bank Pool, but he was too smart to play him at that game as well. This one is a stalemate for lack of a better term. :cool:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I knew them both, but I knew Vernon much better. Vernon was a terrific all-around player, but he would have no chance playing Willis anything other than bank-pool. Willis was one of the best straight-in shooters that ever lived. Wimpy feared him. Vernon was one of the best bankers of all time.

Besides, they were both too smart to play each other the other guys game.

Beard

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew them both, but I knew Vernon much better. Vernon was a terrific all-around player, but he would have no chance playing Willis anything other than bank-pool. Willis was one of the best straight-in shooters that ever lived. Wimpy feared him. Vernon was one of the best bankers of all time.

Besides, they were both too smart to play each other the other guys game.

Beard

Thanks Freddy for your input and you too Jay. Bumping in case any other members want to comment.