Don't miss these Joe Tucker videos about sidespin!@#

Joe T

Thanks for recommending the videos Gregg. Folks while you're there please take a moment to subscribe as I will be putting more and more videos on there this year in hopes of filling howcast with good pool info and the more subscribers we get the better chance we'll have of providing the average Jane & Joe with the same info.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe T said:
Thanks for recommending the videos Gregg. Folks while you're there please take a moment to subscribe as I will be putting more and more videos on there this year in hopes of filling howcast with good pool info and the more subscribers we get the better chance we'll have of providing the average Jane & Joe with the same info.

Thanks for the information.

I find you approach easy to digest. It's simple, straight forward, and practical. The kind of stuff you can take with you to the practice table and work on without having to think about a whole lot.

Thanks again. I'll be working on this stuff!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joe T said:

Joe T,
Thank you for another great video.

I would be happy to take a pool lesson from you any time, anywhere.

These videos are accurate instruction and filled with lots more than just great pool instruction.

Predator should put you on the payroll and I mean you should get paid in more than just equipment. They shoud pay you to be one of their beta testers.

I think you are one of the best instructors I have ever seen. It is simply awesome that you see fit to help those who can't come to you or those who can't afford your pool lessons. Personally, if you play pool you can't afford to pass up pool instruction from a guy like Joe T.

Just so everyone knows, I have never met Joe Tucker. I don't think we have ever exchanged emails. I just know good instruction when I see it and hear it. JoeT does a fantastic job of explaining the how and whats happening in pool. (And Joe has never paid me a dime for recommending him) Although, after this post he may have to add me to his payroll. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your videos and look forward to the others. When we cross paths, please introduce yourself to me and I will do the same. I look forward to meeting you and getting in some prime pool instruction.

Sincerely,

JoeyA

Joe T

JoeyA said:
Joe T,
Thank you for another great video.

I would be happy to take a pool lesson from you any time, anywhere.

These videos are accurate instruction and filled with lots more than just great pool instruction.

Predator should put you on the payroll and I mean you should get paid in more than just equipment. They shoud pay you to be one of their beta testers.

I think you are one of the best instructors I have ever seen. It is simply awesome that you see fit to help those who can't come to you or those who can't afford your pool lessons. Personally, if you play pool you can't afford to pass up pool instruction from a guy like Joe T.

Just so everyone knows, I have never met Joe Tucker. I don't think we have ever exchanged emails. I just know good instruction when I see it and hear it. JoeT does a fantastic job of explaining the how and whats happening in pool. (And Joe has never paid me a dime for recommending him) Although, after this post he may have to add me to his payroll. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your videos and look forward to the others. When we cross paths, please introduce yourself to me and I will do the same. I look forward to meeting you and getting in some prime pool instruction.

Sincerely,

JoeyA

Alls I can say is "Wow" thanks a bunch! I'm in pool cuz I love it and it's in my blood so things like this from experienced people really mean a lot to me. I look forward to meeting you also "for our skinny championship!" Consider my day made.

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joe..

I agree with the post above. Your videos, dvds and books are by far the best i've come across.

I was fortunate enough to be given one of your dvd's "aiming by the number" as a gift a year ago. From then on have been a loyal cyber student of yours.

Many of my teammates who don't like to watch dvds tell me that you're instructions have been incredibly insightful and yet amazingly simple to understand.

To say that you're a strong contributor to the sport is a major understatement. You're changing the sport. Thanks a million Joe.

I the near future I hope to take a weekend away to take private lessons from you.

Please keep up the video blogs and instructions.

nthamix

Judd cues
Silver Member
This is great stuff! Thanks Joe for making these videos for us people who are always looking to take our game to the next level...

(thanks Gregg for this thread)

B.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
just to continue with the Joe T praise, I was watching racking secrets again the other day, and it really is amazing.

the way you methodically looked at a nine ball rack and set it upon yourself to work out exactly how the gaps affect the rack is really impressive.

And it all makes so much logical sense as you explain it too. What with the transfer of energy and the speed difference depending on the gaps. You find yourself going, "oh yeah i see now! Why didn't I think of that?"

Great work!

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Joe, Have any videos on spin transfer to OB. They say when banking, side spin on the CB can transfer to OB and make unbankable banks go. I think it is pushing the OB to a different line and not transferring spin. I have hit several striped balls trying to see this transfer and it just doesn't happen. Do you have anything.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
thanks for the link and thanks to joe for sharing. i just signed up on that site and will be waiting to see more videos by joe.

Joe T

Jason Robichaud said:
Hey Joe, Have any videos on spin transfer to OB. They say when banking, side spin on the CB can transfer to OB and make unbankable banks go. I think it is pushing the OB to a different line and not transferring spin. I have hit several striped balls trying to see this transfer and it just doesn't happen. Do you have anything.

Jason, I can't shoot the video today but I will try sometime this weekend. In the meantime I recommend that you set up a straight in shot to the side rail along the head string and you can actually (just did it) cut the cue ball a hair left to right ( a hair) and draw your cue ball an inch or so back as straight as possible with low right and then have the object ball come back and pass the cue ball on the left side.

Thank you everyone else commenting on the videos!!
And thanks for subscribing, every one helps!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Joe - Thanks for the videos! All your stuff is right on target. We need to talk about carry the laser trainer when I am in the states for the BCA. Hope to see you there.

I do have one observation about something you said on the video. You said that a player would normally never shoot a straight in shot with sidespin. Players do this all the time when they need to reverse off the rail on a draw shot or when they need to force follow into the corner to come two rails for position. Granted when players do this they are cheating the pocket a little but the initial setup is a straight in shot that they must use sidepsin on to attain position.

And one last thing - I share your disdain for parallel english and agreee with your statements that it is overtaught. However you omitted one important aspect of that method and it is that the student is taught to compensate the aiming point to adjust for the deflection/squirt. In fact you did mention this in the third video where you keep adjusting but at the beginning you weren't quite clear about why it's such a poor method to use other than it generates massive squirt.

Well done as always! More of this will only help to promote the sport and bring more casual players deeper into the game.

John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:
Here is a simple demo of transferred spin. Put a ball on the foot spot. Bank it off the head rail back to a foot pocket. It will hit close to a diamond on the head rail. Notice exactly where it hits when you make the bank. Put an object ball there. I claim that I can now make the same bank to either side of that blocker ball that's placed on the cushion, and in a way that it will be clear that side spin from the cue ball has been transferred to the object ball.

All good bankers and one pocket players know these techniques.

Your "pushing the OB to a different line" idea is unclear. Can you draw the changed path of the OB? Or describe it? Is it curved?

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVA-21.htm

You can get about 36% of the cueball's spin on the object ball when using up to half of maximum english on a full hit stun shot. (Stun means no draw or follow.) This is about 18% percent of the cueball's spin had you used maximum english.

Jim

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the type of video I was looking for. I think it proves what I thought. Throw is the reason these shots go. The spin is so minimal. Try hitting a striped ball and get it to tumble how it does in the video. it would be the same as probably a 1/16 to max 1/8 of a tip off center hit. very very little transfer. The throw moves the ball a full ball off line allowing it to bank. I can play the banks that don't go but do... I don't believe the transfer is the major factor in the bank.

Proof: use those spots mentioned. Hitting the CB with Right make the OB travel from the head spot straight up table to middle diamond. The OB comes almost straight back.

Now using throw and the little transfer, shoot straight at the same shot and you can actually bank the OB. The throw can send OB a full diamond or more to the left.

edit I don't think you can get 5% transfer, Maybe 2%.

Last edited:

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:
That is the type of video I was looking for. I think it proves what I thought. Throw is the reason these shots go. The spin is so minimal. Try hitting a striped ball and get it to tumble how it does in the video. it would be the same as probably a 1/16 to max 1/8 of a tip off center hit. very very little transfer. The throw moves the ball a full ball off line allowing it to bank. I can play the banks that don't go but do... I don't believe the transfer is the major factor in the bank.
Are we looking at the same video? Try to pause the second shot, the one where you get more of an overhead view, as the object ball gets close to the cushion. Compare its position with the white spot that it started from. Isn't it clear that it's moving nearly perpendicular to the cushion, and, if anything, slightly uptable, away from the near corner pocket? If you agree with that, there is no way that it can rebound the way it does without sidespin (other than from a really funny cushion!) In fact, the OB acts as if it had acquired more than 36% of the cueball's spin, but since this is impossible (more or less), the extra rebound angle has to be explained by something else, ie, cushion "throwback". The latter also requires a fair amount of induced sidespin for it to occur.

Jason Robichaud said:
Proof: use those spots mentioned. Hitting the CB with Right make the OB travel from the head spot straight up table to middle diamond. The OB comes almost straight back.
That can be explained in a number of ways. For instance, you may not be getting much sidespin on the OB because you're not stunning into it, and/or you're using maximum english instead of half-maximum, and/or you're not compensating for squirt and thus not driving the OB perpendicular to the head cushion, and/or you're hitting too hard...

Jason Robichaud said:
edit I don't think you can get 5% transfer, Maybe 2%.
You're entitled, and that's what some books say, but I think the 36% figure is solid. It comes from measured values of throw, and basic physics. It's no doubt a little off, in that the balls do not act like absolutely perfect spheres, but to my awareness, they come pretty close.

Jim

Banks

Banned
You can get a bit more than 5% to transfer. Try a semi-soft short bank to your right with low left. Spin transfer can be a tricky thing, since you need to adjust for the distance the OB travels before hitting a rail and how far the CB travels before hitting the OB.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see a video with someone hitting long rail perfectly straight with side and the OB transfer spin taking it off line if anyone has one.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think that this shot shows spin transfer very well. It eliminates the argument that the object ball is thrown into the banking line. Since the object ball here is going the opposite direction to the pocket it can ONLY be made by transferring left spin to the object ball.

The cueball goes to A and the 2 Ball banks to pocket B - this shot is played with right spin which transfers left to the object ball.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
JB Cases said:
I think that this shot shows spin transfer very well. It eliminates the argument that the object ball is thrown into the banking line. Since the object ball here is going the opposite direction to the pocket it can ONLY be made by transferring left spin to the object ball.

The cueball goes to A and the 2 Ball banks to pocket B - this shot is played with right spin which transfers left to the object ball.

CueTable Help

John, I don't think this is the best example of spin transfer to the object ball. With this shot you don't hit the object ball straight in the face. YOu hit the object ball slightly off center (to the left of the center of the object ball and with right hand spin) and it kind of pinches the object ball producing friction induced spin more so than spin transfer.

JoeyA

Last edited: