double elimination strategy

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure. If you are up for it maybe you could honor him with a short story you saw happen on here?

Most of them involved tough situations and ballsy escapes. Hard to believe that he and Danny made it back alive when they went on the road together!

He could be a very tough customer when he needed to be. I'll just leave it at that. :)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of them involved tough situations and ballsy escapes. Hard to believe that he and Danny made it back alive when they went on the road together!

He could be a very tough customer when he needed to be. I'll just leave it at that. :)

Got ya, What I liked about him was the first time I played in one of their events he went out of his way to give me some suggestions and ways to have a better experience and make me feel welcome there. Plenty of event promoters are like give me your payment and leave me alone! I was a few clicks under the average speed of the better playes there but had fun..well except the losing part! That always sucks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Just curious why you are against that format?
Double elimination has lots of scheduling problems. Many TDs are not up to the task. 3AM matches. Lots of waiting for your next opponent. Not a good time.

My format allows three or four losses if you are persistent and arrive at the venue with the first groups of players. If the tournament play starts at 11AM, it's ok to not show up until 1PM. Or 3PM if you have to do something in the morning.

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got ya, What I liked about him was the first time I played in one of their events he went out of his way to give me some suggestions and ways to have a better experience and make me feel welcome there. Plenty of event promoters are like give me your payment and leave me alone! I was a few clicks under the average speed of the better playes there but had fun..well except the losing part! That always sucks.

Yeah. He was a good guy. He and I got off on the wrong foot because we met by playing in a tournament and had a disagreement.

Eventually though we became friendly.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But double elimination is a fundamentally obnoxious format. I wish it would go away.

Bob, I did just that. I made it go away. Gone! Of my last 300 tournaments, not one of them has been double-elimination. This includes Pro, regional, and local events.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally speaking I guess there's two strategies:

One, you stay in the winner's bracket, play fewer games total, and you have that second loss in your pocket if you make it to the finals, and whoever you meet from the loser's bracket has to beat you twice.

Two, lose early, play more games but against lesser competition, and have the added incentive/motivation of having to win every match. Plus, many of the players in the losers bracket don't seem to handle the pressure of the 'must-win' scenario very well, so playing the losers bracket is ideal for the grinder mentality.

For the last few years i haven't been what I would call a serious tournament player, or played much at all except for league, so I've purposefully played pretty loose early, and usually ended up in the losers bracket early, and used the extra games as practice.

In fact, the entire tournament is just live practice for me these days. I haven't actually thought about winning a tournament in years. I just want to play against some decent competition and players I'm not familiar with, outside of league.

The funny thing is that I'm winning the things about 50% of the time.

but I digress.

Most of the guys I know think strategy 1 is the best way to go. I'm one of the very few that frequently chooses strategy 2.

But as I said, I'm not necessarily in it to win it most of the time. I'm usually playing to work on some things, try out some mechanical or technical stuff, new tactics, and just to get some stick time for fun.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. He was a good guy. He and I got off on the wrong foot because we met by playing in a tournament and had a disagreement.

Eventually though we became friendly.

Some of my best buddies are people I almost ended up in a fight with after I first came across them!:)

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who runs our tournaments does so on a computer program that provides the brackets for the the the correct amount of people in the tournament. (Im sure everyone has this)

The problem for me...the font is too small and I can't read it so I never look to see who i'm playing or what bracket...and I never ask.

I can't imagine ducking to avoid. Win win win and get to the end