Double Pins and Double Hits in One Pocket

Franky

woman I said NO!!!
Silver Member
This comes up in one pocket for me all the time and I keep finding myself telling people that they usually can't shoot through this situation to safety because they'll be double hitting the cueball. If you look at these situations and say its legal to shoot through the hole, ask yourself at what point is it NOT legal to shoot through the hole.

The cueball is usually frozen to one of the balls, sometimes to both of them. What are you thoughts on the legality of this push / double-hit shot?

CueTable Help

 
I've always thought that if the cueball is frozen to the object ball you can push through it and there is no foul. If QB and OB are not frozen you cannot push through without double kissing.
 
A very good question Franky. I would never do this. I believe you are fouling on one of the two balls. Maybe not. I am interested to see what some of the other responses are.
 
Franky said:
This comes up in one pocket for me all the time and I keep finding myself telling people that they usually can't shoot through this situation to safety because they'll be double hitting the cueball. If you look at these situations and say its legal to shoot through the hole, ask yourself at what point is it NOT legal to shoot through the hole.

The cueball is usually frozen to one of the balls, sometimes to both of them. What are you thoughts on the legality of this push / double-hit shot?

CueTable Help


From what I can see, the first set-up on the left has both balls froze to cue and shooting through would be legal the center and right hand shots I would believe be fouls as both balls are not froze to cue so that when contact occurred the tip would cause the cue ball to double kiss off of the none frozen ball or balls.

Dick
 
Franky said:
This comes up in one pocket for me all the time and I keep finding myself telling people that they usually can't shoot through this situation to safety because they'll be double hitting the cueball. If you look at these situations and say its legal to shoot through the hole, ask yourself at what point is it NOT legal to shoot through the hole.

The cueball is usually frozen to one of the balls, sometimes to both of them. What are you thoughts on the legality of this push / double-hit shot?
If the cue ball is frozen to both balls, which I think I've never seen happen in a situation where it might be useful, then I would say it's legal to shoot into the balls at any angle with any normal stroke.

If the cue ball is frozen to only one ball, then I would check on the cue ball's path following the hit to see whether the cue ball was "double hit" through the ball it was not frozen to. For all three examples in your diagram, I would call a foul unless the cue ball was frozen to both balls, and regardless of which single ball it might have been frozen to.
 
Back
Top