Dr. Dave Schools Neil deGrasse Tyson in Billiards Physics

tomatoshooter

Opposite viewpoint (from maha) here...enjoyed it very much. Dr. Dave showed his teaching skills well..and demonstrated patience.
Would have been cool if a clip of Melling's amazing runout could have been shown. ;)
There's pretty much no reason to not show that.

"Your honor, I'd like to enter a video into evidence."

"This is a fraud trial and you are showing a pool video?'

"LOOK AT THAT SHOT!!!!"

tomatoshooter

I enjoyed it. I get the impression these types of shows are not designed to be deeply informative to those most passionate about a subject but to be entertaining and pique the interest of the more casual fan. I'm sure most of us on here would enjoy an in depth examination of the physics and we can go to Dr. Dave's sites and read his books for that.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I find it ironic that they mentioned the Cincinnati Bengals and field goals since last weekends Bengals/Packers game had 5, count them, 5 missed field goals for the game win by both teams combined (2 by Bengals/3 by Packers) until the Packers finally made one for the win in overtime. 2 of those attempts hit the upright and went wide.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it ironic that they mentioned the Cincinnati Bengals and field goals since last weekends Bengals/Packers game had 5, count them, 5 missed field goals for the game win by both teams combined (2 by Bengals/3 by Packers) until the Packers finally made one for the win in overtime. 2 of those attempts hit the upright and went wide.
There might be some open spots on the bench soon….

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
How did you allow that fiasco to happen? Was there no outline of what was going to be discussed?

I gave them a very detailed outline of possible items for discussion, but they went rogue on me and I had to respond to many things immediately with no preparation, trying to recall everything mostly from memory under a fairly stressful situation among such "large personalities."

middleofnowhere

Registered
I gave them a very detailed outline of possible items for discussion, but they went rogue on me and I had to respond to many things immediately with no preparation, trying to recall everything mostly from memory under a fairly stressful situation among such "large personalities."
I listen to a lot of his lectures on YouTube because I don't have to look at them when I'm working I can just put them on in the background.

He seems like he can be really arrogant, even when he's on talk shows like Colbert he'll just talk right over people. I guess you were just a little bit outgunned as well as trying to remain polite talking to people obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

I once gave a newspaper interview where I said a lot of embarrassing things about other people. The next day I called my attorney to see what I can do about getting this thing not printed.

Fortunately they only used one of my quotes which was actually kind of humorous and not the embarrassing things I had said. Got to be careful when you're talking to the media.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I listen to a lot of his lectures on YouTube because I don't have to look at them when I'm working I can just put them on in the background.

He seems like he can be really arrogant, even when he's on talk shows like Colbert he'll just talk right over people. I guess you were just a little bit outgunned as well as trying to remain polite talking to people obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

I once gave a newspaper interview where I said a lot of embarrassing things about other people. The next day I called my attorney to see what I can do about getting this thing not printed.

Fortunately they only used one of my quotes which was actually kind of humorous and not the embarrassing things I had said. Got to be careful when you're talking to the media.
Yeah..... just say no!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I think you did a great job. It's a podcast, it's supposed to be entertaining and some banter between guests, it went really well. Anything Neil does is entertainment first, science second. Or in other words he has a way to make scientific concepts palatable to common folk. Honestly I think you did a fine job. A little banter isn't some disrespect as some AZers are thinking. It's a podcast and it turned out just fine, great for the game of pool overall.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you did a great job. It's a podcast, it's supposed to be entertaining and some banter between guests, it went really well. Anything Neil does is entertainment first, science second. Or in other words he has a way to make scientific concepts palatable to common folk. Honestly I think you did a fine job. A little banter isn't some disrespect as some AZers are thinking. It's a podcast and it turned out just fine, great for the game of pool overall.

Thanks, and well stated.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike!

I was happy with how it went. I thought they would edit out some of my stuff, but they included literally every second we recorded.

I made a few mistakes I wish I could have gotten them to fix or edit out, but nothing major. For example, I said "The Color of Money" came out in 1996 (instead of 1986). :eek:

In retrospect, I wish they would have edited out my response to the comedian about the "butt." That was a little inappropriate. I guess I don't have a future in politics now. :cry: 🤣

I don't think your response was inappropriate at all. Given the context, I think his comment was a bit out of place. You showed humor and adaptability with your response--an ability to go along with the flow. Your response made his comment seem less awkward, didn't reflect poorly on you, and allowed the conversation to move forward from there.

I think you handled yourself very well given the circumstances of the strong personalities who do this sort of banter for a living. I've never really listened to or read Neil before, but I liked him after this video. You showed wit, character, and intelligence on par with any of those guys, ultimately reflecting very well on a sport that (as mentioned in the video) has a very beleaguered reputation.

All that talk about Coriolis was new to me, so I even learned something, which I rarely do in pool videos, particularly those aimed at novices. I enjoyed the entire video. Many thanks!