Dragon Promotions virtual 14.1

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Anyone know what turned 14.1 from the most prominent game played on a table with pockets to the niche it is today? And what made 8 ball take over as pretty much the only game casual pool players have ever tried (other than 3 ball)?
I don’t think anyone can say for sure, there are only theories. I would say that 9 ball is a better gambling game which probably hastened the transition. It’s also a quicker game to play. And also, amateurs tend to follow the lead of professionals. So as the pro tours transitioned to 9 ball I’d say more and more new players did as well.

As far as 8 ball, I think there are likely two factors. In the last 30 years I would guess most people’s introduction to pool has been on a bar box. It was for me, and going based my experience talking to casual players, they all see pool as synonymous with a bar activity. 8 ball is the perfect game for a coin op table, since it takes players long enough to get through it to get their money’s worth. It’s also perfect for beginners. They have 7 shots to choose from and even a beginner can run 6 balls occasionally. I’ve seen casual players try 9 ball, but generally they retreat back to 8 ball after a game or two. For most of them 8 ball IS pool.

I think pool is a bit of an oddity in that we have some very avid players that never progress past casual play. So you get generations of players who never played anything but 8 ball and teach others that 8 ball is the game of pool.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know what turned 14.1 from the most prominent game played on a table with pockets to the niche it is today? And what made 8 ball take over as pretty much the only game casual pool players have ever tried (other than 3 ball)?
To add to my comment above, I bought the Ralph Greenleaf biography the other day and learned that 8 ball and I think also 9 ball predate straight pool as it is played today. Jerome Keogh invented 14.1, leaving the 15th ball for the break ball in 1910 whereas 8 ball was invented around 1900! I was surprised to learn that.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member

By “well received” do you mean by you? Because I have been pretty much well received by everyone else that has chosen to converse. You’re the only one sounding butt hurt by virtue of the fact your all up in arms over a statement. Your ran in here guns blazing and you’re the only one doing it. Have you not noticed that?
U never have seen me blaze - be thankful of it coward, u want know or no part of that - trust me on this, so I was right - it does seem yer statement provoked uself sum attention, I hope u are satisfied with the attention u received from me! 14.1 is not just a game and IS alive and well, I hope the WPA is not done with u yet. Yes I am the dude that will say what others are thinking, so far u have not apologized for yer bitter statements. Remember u are walking on thin ice little polack.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love straight pool, and I have been positive towards the Dragon promotion events in the past, because, like them or not, at least they are SOMETHING. WPA has done NOTHING for straight pool, what so ever. But I have kind of changed my stance on this recently. I really think WPA should no longer sanction straight pool events. Let it be its own thing and just abandon all support. These zombie events by Dragon do nothing but string it along as a sideshow, a joke to pass the time while the players are waiting for the next "real" event. The virtual event is doubly so.

It hurts me that people now consider 9 ball the sport. The luckiest, stupidest and lamest game in all of the pool universe, except maybe 7 ball. But that is the reality of it. Pools home is in Asia now, and apart for Japan, they don't care for straight pool at all. They want to see jump shots made with gaffe cues, wired wing balls and pattern racking, because that is fun for some reason I'll never understand. At least it's not call safe 10 ball, that's the only redeeming quality, apart from that it's a total shit show.

Straight pool would be better off with its own federation. At least then there could theoretically be a world championship. It wouldn't attract the big stars, but I don't particularly care, since those guys generally don't care about straight pool. If there isn't enough interest to hold such a championship, then maybe it doesn't need a championship. Maybe it could just be a game that is played and enjoyed.

The dream would be to go back to the roots of the game, the 10 foot table with reasonable but not too small pockets. Maybe even change up the equipment to be more like it was back then, less reactive balls maybe, different cloth, make it something completley unique, yet authentic. My suggestion would be 10 foot tables with snooker height which is slightly taller than modern pool tables, like in the old days. Maybe the rubber of the rails could be made to resemble the antique tables too. It could be a real gentlemans sport with a nostalgic feel. Proper old timey cues even, possibly. Naturally ivory and clay balls are out of the question, but the plastic could be made to emulate those materials and they could have that old time look too. I'd love to both watch and play that sport. If I ever become rich, I'd get one of those table/ball/cue sets made.

In the mean time I'll enjoy playing straight pool and playing the few events that I actually can, while I can, because I can see this sport going down the drain. The number of players keep dwindling every year, and the WPA will never hold a WC again, it seems. I'll give it 5 years in my country before the events are cut out all together. Maybe the Eurotour will keep it for 10, but I doubt it.

That's a lot of wishing. I still think the best way to start up something is to revive the amteur championship and have an Open event and work from there.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
That's a lot of wishing. I still think the best way to start up something is to revive the amteur championship and have an Open event and work from there.
This is accurate, before my time I understand that the standard procedure in Golden era of 14.1 was to have a city championship tournament. The winner of that event received a spot to compete with Crane, Mosconi, and other Champions. It worked back then, Brunswick was one of the main sponsors. This was before my time so I know not the details.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You’re the only one clutching your pearls. If you read the thread, others have engaged in interesting dialog with me regarding the topic and I respect their views.
U could never even answer the question about whether or not u felt u would be well received from this forum while stating what u stated about 14.1. Ur not here to engage in civil discussion, ur hear to make a post that might stir the pot and or get u sum sort of attention. So I will ask u once again - since u had so much trouble answering me the first time i posed this question. Do U think u will be well received in this Pocket billiard forum (forum = many people duh) by stating and these are ur pitiful attention deficit order words - ' maybe 14.1 should die'. Maybe ur birth was a abominable act of necromancy?